Author Topic: students interested in AN  (Read 3742 times)

cmb981

students interested in AN
« on: February 14, 2007, 10:38:25 am »
Hello.  I am a USC student in the doctorate of physical therapy program.  Five of my classmates and I are currently working on an integrated project with a focus on acoustic schwannoma.  Our goals are to understand the diagnosis (its pathology, disease course, signs and symptoms, etc), to identify the impairments and functional limitations people with acoustic schwannoma face, and to research and create physical therapy intervention plans for the patient with acoustic schwannoma.  An integral part of this project is meeting a person with the diagnosis of acoustic schwannoma and conducting an interview with this person to learn about their specific point in the continuum of the disease process and how it has affected their life.  We would ask to meet with this person 3 to 4 times between now and the middle of April to conduct interviews, identify their impairments, and perform appropriate therapy interventions under the supervision of a licensed physical therapist who is part of the USC physical therapy faculty.  If you are in the Los Angeles area and would be willing to share your experiences and enrich our understanding of acoustic schwannoma, please contact me.  We are looking for someone who has already undergone some treatment (surgery, radiation, etc).  Please reply to this message, or email or call me with any questions or suggestions.  Thank you.
~Crystal M. Becker, SPT
cmbecker@usc.edu
626-792-1189
619-405-3387

matti

Re: students interested in AN
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:48:29 am »
I don't live in the L.A. area, but will be very interested in your findings. Please keep us updated and thanks in advance for helping make our AN lives easier.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

chelsmom

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:58:18 pm »
Hi Crystal,

My daughter, Chelsea, has had surgery and radiation for her very large tumor.  She was treated at UCLA this last summer.  Her neurosugeon is Dr. Donald P. Becker.  Any relation to him??  We think the world of this man.  She also was in the neuro-rehab there at UCLA and there was a USC physical therapy (doctorate program) student doing his internship there. I guess it was an intership.  I'm really not sure.  His name was Grant.  Very nice guy.  I told Chelsea that you were looking for someone to work with and she wondered what it would involve.  We live in Loma Linda so it would be a drive for us.     

Let us know,

Michelle

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 10:22:30 am »
(Hi all, just fyi, this is a legit request for assistance if you are interested in helping.  Not a solicitation.  Phyl)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cmb981

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 04:56:44 pm »
Michelle-
  It sounds like you and your daughter have a very interesting story.  No, I'm not related to Dr. Donald P. Becker, but that is quite a coincidence!  How long ago was her treatment at UCLA?  The Grant you met may be the Grant in my class, I'm not sure if or when he's done an internship at UCLA or not.
  If Chelsea would be interested, this is roughly what would occur:  The first meeting two or three of my group members would meet with her to discuss how she was diagnosed, what impairments or symptoms she experienced (balance issues, headaches, visual or hearing problems, etc.), and the recovery process after surgery and radiation.  The next meeting would possibly include tests and measures to quantify her reported impairments and symptoms; these could include movement and strength tests, eye tests, balance tests, and/or questionnaires.  The third and probably last visit, we would instruct Chelsea in exercises, therapeutic techniques and/or modalities to decrease or relieve her symptoms.  This may include some hands on treatment from my group members such as soft tissue massage techniques.  A physical therapist who is a faculty member at USC and overseeing our group would definitely be at the second and third meeting, possibly the first.  I would estimate each of these meeting would be about 45 minutes.
  I realize that it is quite a distance.  I can inquire to the faculty if anyone works at a clinic that may be more eastern so as to shorten your driving distance.  Or we could come to you if you'd prefer.  Depending on how Chelsea presents and what we decide to do, we may ask that the third meeting take place at school or the USC physical therapy clinic. 
  Is Chelsea currently receiving any therapy or post-surgical rehabilitation?  Does she have any residual problems or symptoms?
  Thank you for your interest and please feel free to ask any more questions.  Let me know if Chelsea is interested.  : )
~Crystal M. Becker, SPT

chelsmom

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 03:28:53 pm »
Hi Crystal,

Sounds good.  We can talk further on the phone.  I'll give you a call.

Michelle

cmb981

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 09:11:02 pm »
Thanks!  I'm home in San Diego for the weekend, but I'll return to LA on Monday and school resumes Tuesday.  Feel free to call me anytime next week and we'll set up a date and time for the first meeting.  We really appreciate your cooperation and willingness!
~Crystal

cmb981

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 10:02:56 pm »
Thank you to those who responded and were interested in our project.  Unfortunately, due to time and distance difficulties, our group has been reassigned to study ototoxicity.  As I am not familiar with medications or comorbidities of AN, if any of you have been diagnosed with ototoxicity and would like to share a little bit about it, please do.
Thank you again for your kindness and support!   :)
~Crystal