Author Topic: Post Occipital Nerve Surgery  (Read 8660 times)

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
Post Occipital Nerve Surgery
« on: April 27, 2009, 09:54:46 am »
Hi All,

Thanks for all of your well wishes regarding my recent surgery to fix head pain and headaches. It has been a week since my outpatient surgery by Dr Ducic at Georgetown University Hospital. It is my 2nd to address daily nerve type pain. The 1st was a year ago and it helped dramatically. I still had a spot that I could control with daily Tylenol and an occasional Maxalt. This recent surgery was to fix that spot that started in the back of my head and radiated behind my eye.

The problem spot was at a junction of the occipital nerve, lessor occipital nerve and an artery. I could pin point exactly where the pain was coming from. He found that the nerves crossed over the artery at this spot. The function of these nerves is sensory, meaning that they cause pain and feeling. They do not have anything to do with movement. He opted to cut the nerves, bury them in a way that they won't cause future problems and remove the artery. I knew that he would either rearrange or cut depending what he found. I was happy that he cut them as I wanted this whole ordeal finalized.

I feel numbness on one side in the back of my head but it feels wonderful. The best part is that my eye feels so calm. Yesterday, I did a photoshoot in my studio and went for a walk. I am avoiding lifting any thing heavy. Yesterday, I took one dose of Ibuprofen for some slight soreness below my incision.  I have not taken anything today and do not feel the need to take anything.

So far, so good. (Actually, excellent.) I will keep you posted as I want to give you an honest objective account of how this type of treatment is working (or not) for me. 

Janet

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Post Occipital Nerve Surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:55:12 pm »
Hi, Janet ~

Congratulations on the successful nerve surgery that has vanquished your headaches!  I admire the way you researched and found a doctor that could help you.  So many suffer with headaches - for years - but now, you're no longer one of them.  Your example is admirable.  May you remain headache-free!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 06:31:48 pm »
On ya Janet,

Your procedure/s is current to me because it's an option down the track.

I'll email you shortly

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 06:36:32 pm »
By the way folks, if anyone is wondering about Janet's photography skills. I can highly recommend her. When i was lucky to meet Janet a couple of years ago in sunny Seattle (weather was fantastic when i was there, don't know what people go on about), she gave me a fantastic photo of Seattle at night which i have hanging on my study wall. I reckon it's going to be rather valuable one day.

i would hate for these headaches to get in the way of your wonderful skill Janet so your news is really fantastic.

Hope you don't have to cut your ear off to be recognised though (lol)

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

bridgie

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 01:44:28 am »
Congratulations Janet! I'm really inrterested in your outcome(s).

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 10:26:42 am »
Me too!!

Today is not a good day for me.  My headache started last evening and today I cannot get it under control.  Its the pain behind my left eye that drives me insane  :'(

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 02:34:43 pm »
Me too!!

Today is not a good day for me.  My headache started last evening and today I cannot get it under control.  Its the pain behind my left eye that drives me insane  :'(

Anne Marie

*runs in, gives a BIG massive healing huggle to my dear just north of da border!*  :-*  :-*  :-*

Anne Marie, pls hang in there. I'm thinking of you!

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Janet

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 12:19:28 am »
Laz,   Nice to hear from you. I am happy to know that you still have my photograph and it honors your wall! Thanks for the encouragement.

My website is www.janetsherwoodphotography.com  The photo of Seattle is there.

Camera equipment is heavy and one of the reasons that headaches just are not compatable with my lifestyle. I photographed the recent Inauguration and carried 2 cameras with big lenses from 3:45 am to 5:30 pm in the freezing cold.   

Thanks to all for your encouragement. What a wonderful group you are! I wish I could go to the ANA Conference this year. My HS reunion is at the same time. I will have out of town guests. Maybe next time.

Anne Marie   I think of you often and pray you will find some relief soon.  Have you tried Maxalt 10mg MLT? That usually helped my behind the eye pain,  if I took it soon enough.

Best Wishes,
Janet

sgerrard

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 01:09:58 am »
Janet,

Your photography is beautiful. Do you use film and a dark room, not digital? Some of the pictures, such as Girl Picking Tomatoes, are like paintings. Very nice light and subtle color.

Thanks to Laz for calling attention to it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

yardtick

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 10:25:41 am »
Thanks Janet I'm going to talk to the pain Dr about maxalt if I ever get the appointment!!!  I can't complain because my FIL is receiving very speed medical care. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

Joe Meehan

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 11:22:01 am »
Janet,

So happy to hear you're still ecstatic about the results!! I hope you have put this chapter of your life behind you. You have to be jumping with joy.

I'm not!! I was thinking out loud with my kids a couple of months back. What is the worst think that could happen to Daddy at this point? I said someone plowing into the back of my truck. Well don't you know w/my luck of late that very thing happened yesterday morning? I was taking my three little ones to school and I was sitting waiting to take a turn into the school parking lot and wham!! I had instant neck and head spasms. They were killing me!.....and I was having a pretty good morning. I was trying to attend to my crying children while in agony. Anyway a friend of mine was right there dropping her kids off. She took my kids to her house and I went to the hospital for a routine x-ray. They didn't see anything out of the ordinary so they sent me home. It got a lot better until yesterday afternoon things started to rear their ugly heads. Needless to say my neck and head are smarting. Doubled my dose of muscle relaxants and that helped but still....I hope this doesn't set me back we shall see.

I hope my Drs can narrow this down like you have Janet and find my hot spots. They seem to be everywhere. Right now I'm committed to going the drug route and see how that goes but I'm going to keep it on a short leash. Then I'll move forward from there. I guess that would be testing to find my hot spots??? Joe
Retromastoid Mass Gen 7/30/08 Drs. Barker & Gopen
2.5 x 3.4 12hrs completely removed. 100% facial palsy but facial nerve intact.
75% return of movement as of 8th month, removed eye ingot 3/09 good progress.
Deaf R side, tinnitus, balance problems, muscle spasms, muscle tension headaches daily.

yardtick

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 11:42:08 am »
Wow Joe,

Take care of yourself.  How bad was the vehicle?  Very importantly your little babies are they all right?

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

Joe Meehan

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 12:04:34 pm »
Hi Anne Marie,  My kids were fine just shaken up. If it weren't for my "condition" I would have been achy but okay. Right now I'm medicating and icing and dealing.....I'm fine. I don't know what I'd do if I medicated and it didn't work. I think I'd go out and score some heroin.

How are you doing? I don't know how you stand it. Anything looking promising on the treatment horizon? I'm so busy w/work I haven't had time to do any research. Janet and Bridgie have been very helpful. I just have to get up to speed and get the info I need to get to the bottom of this black hole.

I'm hoping this pain is temporary. It seems to have aggravated existing pain and added spasms in different areas of my neck and intensified my headaches. Variety is the spice of life they say!  >:( I'm keeping a daily journal so we'll see how it goes. Just what I needed.

I'm praying for you to find something for your pain. Hang in there. Joe
Deaf R side, tinnitus, balance problems, muscle spasms, muscle tension headaches daily.

Janet

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 11:32:33 pm »
Steve, Thanks for your kind comments about the photographs. I am shooting digital these days. I still have a darkroom and some of the B&W photos on the site are scans of silver gelatin prints.  It has been a year since I've developed in the darkroom. I do all my own digital printing and use Photoshop which allows more control than the darkroom ever did.

Joe,  Glad to hear your children are OK but I am cringing at the thought of you getting whiplash on top of your other pain and headaches. Tough break.  Hopefully, this won't set you back for too long and you will get back on track with the benefit of your new treatment.  I hope you have some help with all your obligations, so you can take care of yourself.

Janet

Joe Meehan

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 10:48:00 am »
Hi Janet,

I'm doing okay. I didn't think this would set me back at all but it has I hope it won't last long. All three of my kids have strained necks they're sore as well so all of us are feeling the effects. It took a day or so to really kick in. I'm as stiff as a board right now. When I bend my neck forward just slightly I feel the pulling in my forehead. I'm as tight as a drum. I'm hoping it will heal and not cause any further problems. Nothing I can't deal with however no over the top pain.

Going for my 2nd round of Botox next week and I guess I'm going to be put on Cymbalta as well. I've been reading up on it. They us it for diabetic nerve pain and Fibromyalgia. Not sure if I'm sold on this stuff but I'll give it a go.

I feel better with the Lyrica but nothing dramatic yet I'm on a low dose. We'll see how it goes. I'll keep you up to date you do the same. Joe