Author Topic: What are the cons?  (Read 9259 times)

Ned

Re: What are the cons?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 03:23:47 pm »
I would have thought things would improve regarding the docs explaining what to expect.  Every time I would see them about a problem they would say it wasn't related to my radiation.  Well what the crap is it? I finally got fed up.  Now I started today ok, went to a funeral and during the service my balance went off, thank goodness my wife was there.  I don't know what I should do.  I have experienced this in the past and would go to the ENT and he would order an MRI and it would be negative and he would just say he didn't know.  Now do I go back and get another MRI and be out of pocket a couple of thousand?
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

cburley1

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 03:33:53 pm »
I don't know why they keep saying it doesn't have anything to do with your radiation & sometimes w/an.....we all have a lot of similar symptoms we are dealing with, I sometimes feel like a guinea pig....why can't they be up front, my new doctor who is an ENT that specializes in skull base tumors told me on the 14th of this month that my issues that I'm having are from the radiation & swelling of the AN....thank you Dr. Hillman for being honest...
1.6 cm into CPA  IAC an diagnosed in Nov, 2010..gamma knife in Feb 2011...facial nerve involved, only small section going into the brain stem shows on MRI, tumor either has it pushed aside or is wrapped around it, facial spasms & twitching, hearing loss, balance off, migraines....

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 11:42:55 pm »
Someone mentioned that most of the people that don't have any residual problems move on and don't visit this site.

Unfortunately this is true.  But there are still some of us "oldies" around.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 04:47:37 am »
Someone mentioned that most of the people that don't have any residual problems move on and don't visit this site.

Unfortunately this is true.  But there are still some of us "oldies" around.

Jan

This Radio-oldie still around. :)

Jan is right..... as is the comment. Radio treatments (many types) have high success rates (as do surgical) and over the 6+ yrs I've been around here, have seen many come and go... partially due to the fact that many have been treated with successful outcomes and have moved on in life.... and..... welcome to the wonderful world of internet discussion forums.  Folks move on from forums after a while if they may feel they have nothing more to contribute.

But, many like Jan and myself and so many others still feel the need to give back and reach out to others that may be beginning to walk in shoes we already have worn, thus, we stick around :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

windy

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 01:03:54 pm »
I think everyone here has made some good points! I think the forum is truly invaluable and personally will be forever grateful for its members who have helped me. For the people who give of their time post treatment (and there are many), I think they are to be commended. It is a generous way of giving back and without them, the newcomers and those not so new, would not have the vast amount of information available to them. I can understand the thinking of not coming on the forum after a person gets through the period of treatment and no longer has problems or even has problems. However, I can also understand why people may hesitate to come on when they are in the midst of problems, especially if you are in a minority. That is how I have felt several times since treatment.

I was one who had a host of issues post GK. Many are now long gone, but some are still here. As I was well aware of my body's unusual reactions to various things pre-treatment, so I went to what I considered a place of excellence. Still, I had issues afterwards. I, too, was told my reactions were not from GK, other than hearing loss. I can only say I did not have them prior to GK. I personally felt it would not be overly helpful to people who were deciding to have radiation to post all my different issues frequently, at least on a constant basis. Also, since most people did not have a lot of issues post radiation, it did not help to go on the board on a continuous basis when I could not relate. Since I was living in the midst of issues, I did not want to saturate my thoughts with the tumor further. That is just my way of coping. I am, and have been, in touch through personal messages with forum members about various AN issues. They are a true source of comfort to me.

I guess the forum is made up of all different types of patients, both with good outcomes and bad. Also, people choose to handle those issues, in different ways. It does not make it wrong, either way. There is always a copy left of their story if you choose to review, so in a way, they are always giving back, even if not on the forum.

It is a great forum and members get help from with those that give constantly and those who have been on infrequently. I thank all those who are giving back on a constant basis and those who have left a trail behind!
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014