Author Topic: Chelsea's surgery  (Read 4086 times)

chelsmom

Chelsea's surgery
« on: June 20, 2006, 09:51:51 pm »
Hi all.  Here's an update on Chelsea.  On Thursday 6/15/06 we spent the day at UCLA meeting her neurosurgen Dr. Becker.  He scheduled surgery on June 30 and had us return home to do additional testing at her primary doctor.  The next morning Chelsea's legs gave out on her and she fell.  We called and reported this to Dr. Becker and he had us come back to UCLA emergency.  She was admitted, placed in ICU and scheduled for surgery on Sunday.  He was very concerned because of the location of the tumor and the hydrocephalus.  On Sat.the doctors came in and put in a tube  (which by the way was invented by her doctor) at the top of her head to drain off some of the pressure.  She was in surgery for 16 hours.  At fourteen hours they came out and told us that they were going to have remove the tumor in a 2 part surgery.  The tumor is very old (7-10 years) and vascular.  The doctor said he has never seen a brain stem so compressed.  He wants to wait until June 30 to do the next surgery.  He said they thought that they might lose her on the table and that is why he wanted to close.  Every hour presents new complications.  She had to have the tube put back into the lung today because she can't swallow on her own and some fluid some how got into her lungs and has caused an infection.  Then she has a blood clot in her brain that they are waiting to see if it will just re-absorb or if they will have to go in and remove it.  OK I can go on forever about all the things that have and are happening.  But what we would like to know is are any of you aware of others that have had these complications and how did it go.  We need to hear some positive outcomes. Even with these complications she is able to comunicate with us.  She is a fighter and she has a long hard fight ahead of her.  Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Chelsmom.

PS  We don't leave the hospital very often so when we do and arre able to get online then I'll be able to do updates.  Has anyone heard about Chris?

tumor mom

Re: Chelsea's surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 09:59:33 pm »
I wish I had some information that would help you - I just read your post and feel the need to respond.  I'm thinking of Chelsea and what you are all going through - all I can do is pray for you.  Good luck and know that we are all thinking of you.

Donna

jacobs

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 10:29:06 pm »

HI,I just wanted to say that I am thinking of  your daughter.I know the stress must be overwhelming right now but you will all get through it.It sounds like she is in good hands and definitely has youth on her side.Keep fighting Chelsea!!

Tracey

Translab April 24,2006 3.5x2.5cm
Sunnybrook Hospital,Toronto.Dr.Chen&Dr.Perusmen
Left side facial paralysis,gold weight in eyelid &"deaf on the left"
now I'm a true canadian...EH?

tony

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 12:48:16 am »
I saw your note - these must be very worrying times for you
I have been though many of these problems, and given time, got through them
The hydrocephalus problem is only really a problem if it is allowed to continue
after a given period of time - once the pressure is removed, the problems start to subside. They have done this.
In the case of the brain stem compression - it does not like to be compressed
and there are a range of side effects - but again once the pressure is removed
things slowly go back to normal
- mine was pushed fully 25mm to one side a year ago
- but now is back to straight - with no ill effects.
They have done this too.
They seem to know the right moves here.
There are many examples of surgery on the group where its all back to normal
in a couple of weeks - I do trully hope it will be the same for Chelsea.
Its my thinking now that she will recover - but it will take time.
Dont expect too much too soon - we may be talking months here
Consider this - this time last year I was in early recovery - in a wheel chair for a month
- learning to walk unaided all over again.
Last week - unaided - I moved 240 sidewalk slabs (3 U.S. Tonnes approx ?)
Last year it would have been impossible
- last week it was just a pain in the B--- (but I DID IT ! - yes ?)
Never underestimate the powers of recovery in the Human body
Best Regards
Tony

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 04:32:41 am »
Hi Chelsmom,

No Chris update yet but anxiously waiting.

I have to respond to what you have shared with us. I know anything I say may not help but know that Chelsea is in my thoughts, prayers and best wishes, as are you all.  It sounds like the dr's are doing everything they can to help her and sending major huggles to help you and Chelsea and your family to get through this very difficult time.  She's young and strong and I have faith that she is going to fight and beat this situation.

**~~~~~HUGGLES~~~~~**

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cookiesecond

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 05:31:46 am »
Chelsmom,
You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep positive thoughts and know things will gradually improve.
Take care,
Lynn

wife4life

• well, it could have been worse!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 09:24:15 am »
hi,
 i am awaiting surgery on june 29th so i cannot relate to what is going on..but i can tell you that my family and i will be praying for her...  ;)

Kim
3cm leftsided an
surgery scheduled 6-29-06
charlotte nc
**complete resection of tumor, total left side facial paralysis,total hearing loss**

matti

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 10:56:56 am »
Keeping Chelsea in my prayers

Sending you hugs Chelsmom

Cheryl

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 12:08:45 pm »
Dear Chelsea and her mom and family;

Words cannot describe how sorry I am about what is happening.  I, too, am thinking of you and your family and pray that this will resolve itself in the best possible way soon. You have wonderful surgeons on your team who are doing the very best for you and time is on your side. Hang in there, all of you and remember that people all over this country are in your corner.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 12:49:21 pm »
Chelsea, mom, and family,
 I can not begin to imagine what you are going through right now but my heart, thoughts, and prayers are with you. I believe everything is going to be okay but its going to be a long hard road. The power of the human spirit is amazing and the ability to recover is incredibly.
I am also thinking back to myself just ten months ago. I couldnt walk alone. A month ago I rented a car and drove myself to Florida and back.."alone"!!! I still have moments when I cant balance like I used to, but for the most part, people that do not know me would never guess what it was like just a few months ago. Keep your faith and thank you so very much for sharing with us all.
As Sue said...you all have people from all corners of the world praying and pulling for you. I hope you (mom) will take time for you to rest too. Chelsea will need you strong for the days to come. Much love and prayers...Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

luv2teachsped

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 06:01:16 pm »
Chelsea,Mom and family:  You're in my prayers too!  luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

chrissmom

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 07:30:35 pm »
Chelsmom,
Our Doctors told us that the brain tells them when to stop.  It sounds to me like your doctors noticed a change and stopped the operation.  This is normal.  I'm sorry that she had complications.  Chris has some Thrush in his mouth from the long surgery and having the tube down his throat.  He needs to swish with an anti-fungal med.  His left side is a little sore too, probably from all the poking and prodding and the decadron gave him some sugar spikes and he doesn't have diabetes but they gave him insulin.  That went away. Keep us informed.  I know it's hard to do when your sitting by their bed the whole time and then when you go back to the hotel or home you're too tired.

cookiesecond

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 07:39:16 pm »
Chelsea and family,
You are continually in my prayers,
Lynn