Author Topic: Symposium 2009 Pictures  (Read 81648 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Symposium 2009 Pictures
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2009, 09:34:44 am »
Please bear with me here…

Ok I am being a bit stubborn (ok ok a lot stubborn ::) ) here as I totally suffer from what those around me call “the do-it-yourself” syndrome. I am a very independent minded person who is always so determined to learn to do things by myself… The whole self directed vestibular therapy kick I went on, when I was out to prove I could ride a bike with no hands after months before being dependent on a walker…, to then post a photo with my old computer (which I had mastered unlike my new one here) was one of the do-it-yourself syndrome moments… but even then I got help from my husband with photobucket.

As I came to and from the Drake Hotel a porter kindly offer to take my luggage for me…. But nope I bolding insisted "I can do this myself- thanks anyway". I hate to be depended on others … and sometimes this does so getting me into a pickle when I neglect to delegate tasks… and I cannot get the job done (My back is still aching today ::) – but just mildly so)… I drive doctors, nurses (and yes my family) nuts sometimes- as I do not like to allow others to do thing for me.

Nevertheless I am so determined to nip this “photo bucket thing” in-the-bud with my new photos software and my new Mac Book (which I have far from mastered) without the assistance of my dear husband and our cherished Steve.  This I-photo software is so different from the HP photo software I previously used - as far as removing red-eye, cropping etc.

In some of my photos I have MAJOR synkenisis happening with my eye so I want to crop me out but keep the others in the photo … also some others had the synkenisis eye thing happening too and I want to crop those as I have better photos of them, to post, but do not want to excluded the others.

Sue from Vancouver said she was glad she was not there as she would not want her photo posted…

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME.  So glad I was NOT there, as I would not want MY PHOTO out there!  :o :o  However, I'm sorry I wasn't there to join in on the experience and fun that you all seem to have had.  Great photos!  Thanks for sharing.  

Congrats on the award, Phyl.  You rawk, as you like to say!!

Sue in Vancouver, USA

…and I can so relate to this. For those of us with facial issues, especially with synkenisis and paralysis, we want to have some control over which photos are posted… this is why I am taking time to go through these.

I ask that you please be patient with me as I am still attempting to master photo editing (with my own MAC software) and photo-bucket… I so want to know and master this skill without having to pass this on to “the guys” (Steve and my hubby)

So as I continue to suffer from “do-it-yourself syndrome” I ask that you-all be patient as I try to get my photos posted. If you know that mine appear via Steve, at the end of the week, then I totally gave up… but I am not giving up until then… as I am SOOH determined to do this.

DHM

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:37:14 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2009, 09:49:38 am »
I only asked because you are far prettier in real life than in your Forum picture.  Hope you get a new boss soon.  You don't look fat, you look quite striking.

Sharon

Jan has the most beautiful turquoisey eyes I have ever seen!  They are the color of the water in the Caribbean.  She says they are "all hers", too.

Good luck with the pics, DHM.  You can figger this out I know it!!!!!

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:51:18 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kaybo

« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2009, 10:34:58 am »
Sharon~
when i had the T3 and then all the problems, I had to wear a gauze square patch on my cheek for, literally, months - I'd take a band-aide any day...in fact, I was VERY happy when I graduated to a band-aide!!  :D  I do wonder why you will have to wear a band-aide to protect it from the sun, though...can't you just wear sunscreen?  That is what I used for the remainder of the summer last year as soon as I could go (naked!) w/o the bandages!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2009, 11:27:01 am »
I guess I could use sunscreen.  But even the highest level lets in some sun.

Here's why I say that.  Being fair skinned and...hmmm....a bit older, I am prone to unnattractive large freckles that some nasty people might call Age Spots.  I have one such above my upper lip, and when it shows up I look kind of like Hitler.  So every morning I put on Clinique "Almost Makeup" with #15 sunscreen, plus a dab of #30 over my Hitler freckle.  Yet, as the summer wears on, it nonetheless darkens and I wait for some neo-Nazi to salute me with a "Sig Heil!"!!  Maybe it's because I wipe my upper lip when I eat (which is more often than is good) or maybe I perspire more there. 

But i sunscreen worked for you maybe it will for me too.  I was afraid when I read my ER instructions and they said that exposure to the sun will harm healing skin and make the scar bigger.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2009, 12:49:28 pm »
Sharon -

I don't really see myself as striking - in my mind I'm still 30 and a size 10, which is obviously not what my pictures show - but I'll take the compliment.  And the one from Capt. Deb also.  A lot of people ask me if I wear contacts, but my blue eyes are hereditary; handed down through the Meyer family for generations.

I'm so sorry about your bad fall and hope you heal soon.  I'm very familiar with the ER superglue - my son had it on his chin when he was about 2 or 3 and my daughter not wanting to feel left out had it herself near her eye a few months later.  It worked wonders for both of them.

I wish I had some suggestions on the sunscreen, but even though I should wear it, I rarely do.  My children are blessed with their father's skin (he's Assyrian) and they both tan beautifully.   I on the other hand usually get burned at least once a summer  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2009, 03:01:11 pm »
My grandmother was a Meyer, Jan. But my eyes are hazel.

I am bemused by all of the negative comments about the pictures. It shows that we are truly our own worst critics. I was there and met most everyone, and I think you all looked great, in person and in these photos. Although I do think we all look better in person; my theory is that our faces are dynamic and photographs are static.

Remember also that we are among friends here and are unlikely to be critical of any of the photographs.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

candtlaw

« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2009, 08:01:57 pm »
I have really enjoyed lookig at all the pictures :)  Wish I could have been there!
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2009, 09:09:17 pm »
Cyndi -

wish you could have been there too.  Cincinnati in 2011?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2009, 10:53:44 am »
Thanks to all who posted pics and stories of the convention.
I was there! in a cyber kind of way!
So nice to see pics of people and put names to faces.
You northwest people- who is going to the September thingy in Portland?
I live near Seattle and would like to make it!
Again thanks for sharing :) ;D :D
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2009, 11:31:04 am »
Hi All!

Willie and I just got back to NJ last night, so I have not had a chance yet to upload my pics to photobucket - however, before EOD it will be done!

I must say that the highlight of the symposium was meeting everyone - and I agree with SaraLynn that everyone looked beautiful/handsome.  I suspect that we are always our own worst critics.  And, I have decided that a perfectly symmetrical smile is over-rated and, dare I say? - boring!   ;) ;D

Stay tuned for pictures...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jackie

« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2009, 11:34:52 am »
Thanks to all who posted pics and stories of the convention.
I was there! in a cyber kind of way!
So nice to see pics of people and put names to faces.
You northwest people- who is going to the September thingy in Portland?
I live near Seattle and would like to make it!
Again thanks for sharing :) ;D :D
Maureen

Hello Moe,

What is the date of the Portland, thingy??? I don't think I have been notified??
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

TaylorsMom

« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2009, 12:31:52 pm »
We had a great time!  Have lots of pics.  This one is a test to see if I'm doing it right

(Mom! Fixed it for you. to see what I did, choose this "post" and do a "modify" but don't touch anything, ok? :)  All set! Phyl)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:53:56 pm by ppearl214 »

TaylorsMom

« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2009, 12:33:02 pm »
Ahrrrrrrrrr

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2009, 12:54:22 pm »
(Mom! Fixed it for you. to see what I did, choose the "post" and do a "modify" but don't touch anything, ok?   All set! Phyl)

geesh! enough pics of me folks... how about someone else, eh? :D

xoxoxoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2009, 12:57:46 pm »
Okay, let's give this a test drive...

Debbi and Kaybo - Day 1 (that's me after traveling half the day...)

And here is our very own Triple-Threat (Queens of the Hi-Jack) LeapYrTwins (Jan), Lori, Kaybo (Nice Barbie Lipstick, Kay!)

The Hat Gang - Jan, Kay, DHM, Steve, Capn Deb, Debbi

Steve with Finger-Shark

More to follow...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 05:39:00 pm by sgerrard »
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com