Author Topic: snorkeling mask/airplane travel  (Read 2782 times)

palms0@hotmail.com

snorkeling mask/airplane travel
« on: June 19, 2007, 10:21:50 am »
Hi All
 Has anyone who has problems closing their eye been swimming or snorkeling since their surgery???
Don and I are avid water sports people we love waverunning(jetsking). We have not been anywhere since his surgery last year and I think I finally have him talked into going away, BUT he is very concerned about getting ocean and pool water in his eye. Has anyone found a mask that is REALLY LEAKPROFF? Also he is concerned about the pressure on his head from flying, any advise ?? I did go to our local motorcycle store and got him a pair of sunglasses with a foam seal around them which will be helpful in keeping sand out of the eyes I hope. They are no Maui Jim Sunglasses, which once you wear them you'll never wear anything else, but hey if they work that's all that matters. Thanks for your help.
Mary Ellen
ps any suggestions will be appreciated
9mm retro sigmoid drs. evans and willcox jefferson hosp phila
facial palsy, external eye weight, headaches 24-7, incisional pain 24-7, balance issues
i was a 46 yo happy active man, now this surgery has ruined my life
I WANT MY LIFE BACK!
ps still have 4mm enhancing area :(

tony

Re: snorkeling mask/airplane travel
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:01:08 pm »
err yes..the sense of balance is/can be more than challanged by
underwater swimming...quite hard to tell up from down
...maybe best to take slow and careful at first
..for me it was a bit like Baywatch...but the broads didnt show up...
Best Regards
Tony

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: snorkeling mask/airplane travel
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 05:35:04 pm »
Hi,

As for what mask will be best....go to store where they sell masks and to tell which will be "leak proof" is without putting the strap around your head, put lens over nose and eyes, then suck in air through nostrils.  If the mask holds, you know you have a winner.  Place strap around head and see if that is comfortable.  Airplanes should not cause you any distress as the cabin is pressurized.  I flew to Germany 6 months post surgery without problems.  I have read people who fly one to two weeks after surgery without problems. 

Where ya goin anyway?  Have fun snorkeling and remember to "buddie up" for the first times underwater until you are used to it. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear