Author Topic: Balance problems - how much did it effect your life?  (Read 3131 times)

claireb

Balance problems - how much did it effect your life?
« on: June 06, 2007, 12:34:06 am »
My mum will be leaving for London on the 24th June and she will be going straight to the National Hospital.  She will be under Mr Kitchen's team, ( he is a Consultant Neurosurgeon).  Has anyone in this forum been operated for AN in this hospital?  Any feed back is greatly appreciated.
she seems to have accepted the situation now.  her main concern is the outcome of the operation.  She keeps wanting to know whether she will have facial paralysis and whether her balance will be back to normal.  right now her balance is really bad.  she cannot walk in a straight line and if she doesn't hold on to someone she  keeps bumping into things.  Does balance effect everyone, no matter what the size of the AN is? 
thanks all

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: Balance problems - how much did it effect your life?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 07:10:22 am »
My tumor size at the time of surgery was 1.3 cm.  My tinnitus began in 1989.  I began to have problems with my balance in 1992.  Balance problems arise from the AN growing from the sheeth of the vestibular (balance) nerve disrupting signals to the brain.  After my surgery I did indeed have much difficulty with just standing up, and if not for vestibular rehab of approximately 6 weeks, I really don't know where I would be today.  I kept up with my vestibular exercises long after the formal 6 weeks of rehab ended.  I was anxious to get back to where I was prior to surgery and following my 6 weeks check with my doctors I started back into my practice of yoga.  I was greatful to be able to start doing what I had stopped due to the surgery recovery time and now am teaching yoga classes. 

I have residual problems not because of the balance nerve being removed, but from nystagmus.  I was recently diagnosed and this seems to be consistent with the surgery.  My eyes bounce around while I am walking, but with the exception when I look in the opposite direction of the operated side, sitting still my eyes are fine.  Looking back on my history I remember having much difficulty with my balance but didn't realise I had issues with it. 

My husband and I lived aboard our sailboat for 7 years while we circumnavigated and I had no problems with my balance until our return to the US.  Anytime I climbed aboard to go for a day sail now I see why I had so much fear and uncertainty while I was on board our sailboat.  Seems my tumor was growing at that time.  So, yes, I had problems before AN removal and unfortunately I still do, but this should not be the case with all tumor removals just mine.  Hope this helps.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 08:22:08 am »
I had no balance issues pre-op, but after surgery is another story.  It felt like I was walking on a suspended wooden plank that was swaying - went on for months.  I went for balance therapy for about 4 months, which helped.   Now, I still won't go hiking, mountain biking.  Even walking down a driveway or any uneven surface is a chore.   (FYI: re: facial paralysis - I ended up with it, the docs won't know what shape the facial nerve is in until they get in there, mine unfortunately was a goner).   I wish you & your mom all the best,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 11:17:30 am »
I had balance issues prior to surgery and of course after surgery as well.  After surgery the balance has gotten better but I still walk into things.  I seem to always have a bruise somewhere on one or both of my legs.  Before surgery if I turned my head I'd fall over. I think you learn to compensate.  I know since surgery if I turn my head back and forth i'll get dizzy so I don't do it. Vestibular retraining helped immenesly.  Like Nancy ann said the facail will be what it will be.  They doctors try to spare it and mine was but I have facial numbness.  My face moves, I smile pretty, I just can't feel it. 

All my best to your mum,
Michelle

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 06:38:12 am »
I had balance problems prior to surgery..........that is what first alerted my doctor.  My balance problems did not improve after surgery.  I have broken bones and bruises continually.  I fell off the staionary bike at PT and dislocated my shoulder!  I fell off a step sool, two step one, and broke my ankle.  Life is just so darn interesting................
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT