Author Topic: MUSIC THERAPY  (Read 5475 times)

lori78

MUSIC THERAPY
« on: June 02, 2007, 10:04:50 pm »
ok, so I have gone from horrid depression to Zoloft--- Gift of the Gods!

I wanted to address, while happy, that I am a music therapist.  I work for a home for middle aged folks w cerebral palsy, MS, retardation, post car accident spinal cord inury and paralysis.et it!!  They are ALL in wheelchairs.  It is a unique facility and my residents (some) are like my own kids, and I'm only 29.   I can go to work w my deficits and they get it!  It is truly moyivational and humbling to have this awful AN and see what my residents go thru daily.  In addition to PT and OT, being my own client as an MT has helped a lot. particularly w gait training.  Rhythm is a huge component w balance.  Yesterday I stood on one foot at a time, didn't fall, and had my first highway drive and was fine. YAY!    Now, there aren't many music therapists in private practice, so if anyone want some ideas, please write me for suggestions.  Here are a few:

1.  OT can be boring as ****, why not add music?  my ipod saved me while I re learned to write.  Think about how u use music to cope prior to AN.  For relaxation, motivation, exercise, and emotional fulfillment.

2.  Rhythm.  If u got it, flaunt it!  Did u know people w autism live w brains of chaos, but respond to the order of rhythm?  Walk to the beat of music. do OT exercises to the beat of ur own drum!  And remember, everyone ressponds to music, whether u have the gift or not.

3.  Dance!  Even if u fall down!  Believe me--- I fall all the time!

4.  Lastly, if you have the funds, see an MT.  Think about how moving lyrics and tunes can be..... TRUE therapy, if you ask me.  That's my two cents.

Rock on, AN survivors!  Lori
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

Rc Moser

Re: MUSIC THERAPY
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 11:09:23 pm »
I don't know about others, but for me I can't stand no noise even at moderate levels now. Music, TV, radio, normal house and work noises Create head pain and on most days wear me down and by the time I get home I usually have headaches which one to two a week will turn into a light migraine. Some turn into severe migraines, but after 3 years and 8 months my Migraine rate seems to be dispating in frequency.  Therapy for me is NICE and quite ;D. I can only listen to music at very low setting and then I ususally have to have a ear plug in. I sure hope your not plagued by this. Rc
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

lori78

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 11:22:24 pm »
I hear ya, RC.  As an MT, silence is at times my best friend!  Esp working w the depressed.... If I have to sing Wind Beneath My Wings ONE MORE TIME!  But I'm an Indie movie and music freak, so for now that's working.  wishing u the best... Lori
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

matti

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 11:45:57 pm »
Listening to music totally relaxes me and is sometimes helpful in overriding the buzzing bee's and bell ringers in my head. I love going to rock concerts  and was not about to give that up, so I purchased a musician's ear plug which has been a life saver not only at concerts, but other loud social events.

I applaud the work you do and have seen miracles happen through music therapy.

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Ellenmn

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 05:29:41 am »
I hadn't thought about Music Therapy to help this problem but that a good thought. I used to use music therapy to teach mentally challenged children to skip walk up stairs, jump rope and other things normal kids.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 06:54:49 am »
Love my music, but I find it's difficult to find the right volume, especially in the car with other noises going on.     It's been tough playing the piano, I get quite dizzy looking at the music, keys.   Hope it subsides soon.   But I'll never stop listening to music.......
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Betsy

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 08:49:20 am »
Great ideas, Lori...thanks!  Glad the Zoloft is helping you cope.

I've always been a music lover too, and I'm afraid that may be coming to an end.  I'd been told by a couple doctors that I could lose the hearing in my left ear suddenly, so I decided to give all my favorites another listen, just in case.  Sad to say, most of my favorites are now irritating to me.  I don't know if it's the tones or me just straining to hear "llike I used to", or even the tinnitis, but I get very agitated now when I try to listen.  The exception is acappella music, as long as it's not too complex.  Sigh.

I'm going to try the adaptor you mentioned in your other post (in the hearing section, I think it was).  Maybe listening with just my good ear will be different.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

lori78

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 09:02:12 am »
i am lucky... i've had no tinnitus, just deaf in my left.   i am so sad for those of u who get irritated by such an art.  i can relate when i go out... and can't differentiate sound.  and my residents w CP?  I could barely understand them before AN.  anyway, i stress rhythm for gait training... whether music is involved or not.  peace

lori78

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 05:53:38 pm »
 ;D
no betsy.....I am deaf in the left, had my heyday of listening to my faves 'just in case' but there are options!  phys CHALLENGED FOLKS  have advocated for better tech to suit us.  Don't give up!  I'll hook u up!! XO Lori

lori78

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 12:32:23 pm »
Love my music, but I find it's difficult to find the right volume, especially in the car with other noises going on.     It's been tough playing the piano, I get quite dizzy looking at the music, keys.   Hope it subsides soon.   But I'll never stop listening to music.......

you are quite the survivor~

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 03:10:28 pm »
I couldn't tolerate music for a while and now find that easy listening, christian rock are soothing. Tayors mom just told me I can get a gizmo from radio shack to convert my stereo headphones to mono.  Went out to get it today, got side tracked came home and took a nap instead  LOL  Will try to remember again tomorrow.

Loved the noise reducing headphones on the plane even without the music made outside sounds tolerable.