Author Topic: NHS waiting lists and costs of private MRI (in UK)  (Read 25443 times)

Nuttyneddy

NHS waiting lists and costs of private MRI (in UK)
« on: February 03, 2014, 10:54:44 am »
Having finally given in to the nagging of my husband to stop stressing about when my MRI might be scheduled, I rang the hospital X-ray department today (on the advice of my doctor) and discovered that the waiting list is currently 17 weeks  :o  That will be almost seven months from when I first visited the doctor about my symptoms. 

Does anybody know the rough cost of a private MRI?  And how I would go about getting one?  I do not have BUPA or anything.

Echo

Re: NHS waiting lists and costs of private MRI (in UK)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 11:09:25 am »
I'm in Canada (Ontario) where our Provincial Health Plan covers the cost of MRI's and our wait times can range from (in my experience) 4 - 8 weeks.  I found by calling the MRI Dept. at the Hospital and telling them I was willing to come in at any time, I could frequently get my MRI sooner.  They would call and move me up when they had cancellations or if you are able to take an appointment after 11 p.m and before 7 a.m., that would speed things up as well.  Not sure if that's an option for you, but it worked for me.

Cathie.
Diagnosed: June 2012, right side AN 1.8cm
June 2013: AN has grown to 2.4 cm.
Gamma Knife: Sept. 11, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:13:24 am »
Thanks Cathie  :)

I think we are expected to take an appointment at whatever time they make one for us here!  Of course, the upside is that we don't have to pay for it (apart from through our taxes).

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 02:42:52 pm »
Nuttyneddy ~

Here is a link that may be helpful to you.  http://www.canmagnetic.com/scans-rates/

It appears as if the cost for an MRI scan of the brain - with contrast - is about $1,200. (Canadian). 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 01:07:33 am »
Ouch!  I hope it's cheaper than that in the UK  :'(

Is it even worth paying for a private scan?  Or am I better off just learning to put up with things and wait?  Whatever the result we would not be able to afford private treatment.

My husband is under the impression that if that's what it is you just go into hospital for them to remove it and then you are back to normal. He thinks I should have the private scan (tired of me keeping him awake when I can't sleep because of the relentless racket in  my head!).  He has got used to repeating everything though, and is very patient with that  :)

Alison

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 04:03:04 am »
Hi nuttyneddy,

I replied to you and glasgow guy in his thread, but I'm in the UK and am well versed in the experience of trying to get a diagnosis here. The docs don't expect it to be an AN as they are so rare, so you have to be persistent to get seen quickly. There are 2 ways of doing this. Either pester your GP as the symptoms and uncertainty are making you ill or go private. You do not need a GP referral to go private although if your GP can give one it may be helpful. You need to ask for an MRI of the IAM (thats the area of the brain they look at for ANs which includes the IAC and CPA). I didn't have contrast in my MRI that picked up the AN. They are only usually missed if they are small or the radiologist wasn't knowing what he should be looking for, but he will if its a suspected AN.

Ring your nearest local private hospital and they will give you a quote. Whereabouts are you? They range between around 300 to 500 pounds.

Hope that helps.

Alison
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 04:17:24 am »
Thanks for the reply Alison  :) 

My doctor is actually being very helpful - he saw me as an emergency at the start of November when I had a very bad attack of vertigo (my first inkling that something was wrong) and he is of the opinion that my problems are something to do with the acoustic nerve although at the time I last saw him I had not heard of AN so I didn't ask him if that's what he suspected.  He did a hearing test with a tuning fork, and tested my eye reflexes with his finger then promptly ordered an MRI which I had not expected, so I came home and looked on the internet (fatal mistake  ::) ) to see why he might have done that, and that's why I'm here.  I should just be grateful that I am on the waiting list I guess!

I am intending to make a (private) diary of my symptoms in case it is useful down the line.  The only person who knows is my husband, and I don't like complaining to him every time a new or worse problem rears its head.  My family know about the vertigo, but they think that's all over now.  I rarely see them in person, so it's easy to hide on the telephone - I just use my good ear.

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 04:22:00 am »
Oops, I forgot to say - I am in Wales, near to Aberystwyth.  We have an MRI scanner in Bronglais hospital, but I also found this place http://www.cobalthealth.co.uk/diagnostic-scans/patient-info/mri/south-wales-mri.aspx  which does them for £228.  It says the Welsh ones are done at a chiropractic centre though, would they be able to do heads do you think?

I know, I should be asking them  ::)  Somehow it's a bit less scary to be anonymous on the internet though...

Alison

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 04:30:58 am »
Hi again nn,

just saw your reply in glasgows thread, sorry I missed it! See you are in Wales. I'm in the south west . The MRI result will not be given to you on the day. It will go to a radiologist for a report which can take two weeks. But it will be on the system straight away for your GP to access or if you go private it will be quick and given to you.

Just seen the latest post pop up.

Ring them to see if they will report on Brains, you may need a hospital with a radiologist in residence to read the MRI.

Alison
CPA and IAC AN 14.5mm x 10mm x 8mm diagnosed August 2012 treatment in UK SRS Linac with headframe  Dec 2012 MRI 4 month post April 2013 was 18mm x 13 x 7.8 (this April MRI was not measured until Jan 2014) MRI January 2014 was 17mm x 11.4 x 8.3 (one year post)

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 04:46:48 am »
I have sent them an email  :)  Just writing that last post made me realise I was being a wuss  ::)

I am currently sitting in the library where it's quiet (at least outside of my head), so not able to phone just now. 

Alison

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 05:12:40 am »
Hi again nn,

if it is 228 and they do heads go for it. Island girl and I had long convoluted waits for diagnosis and treatment and now for follow up!

If it isn't an AN you can relax and explore other causes less worrying.

If it is an AN your GP can refer you to a neurosurgeon to discuss treatment and skip the ENT route. There are options of w and w, radiosurgery before you have to worry about surgery. But if it's labyrinthtitis you can go to ENT. But you'll need to educate your husband if its an AN! The cotton wool head is one of my constant symptoms as well as inbalance and tinnitus. It was vertigo that lead to my diagnosis but it can be other things not nec a AN so don't panic!

The not knowing is difficult. Let us know what the email says from the clinic.

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 05:21:45 am »
Had an answer already!  Although they didn't actually answer my question about having it done in Pontypridd  ::)

Still, they said:

We are able to offer MRI scans to anybody referred to us by a GP, Consultant, or other medical practitioner.

Your doctor can refer you by using our online Referral Portal https://secure.lohost.com/mriservice/mri_portal.php
or post to Cheltenham Imaging Centre, Linton House Clinic, Thirlestaine Road, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53 7AS
or fax (01242 535919).

We operate state-of-the-art MRI scanners from here at Cheltenham, including UK's first High Field Open MRI, World's First 3T MT Mobile MRI, and Europe’s First Mobile 1.5 MRI Provider. A one-part scan costs £228.00 and a two-part scan costs £384.00, including the Consultant Radiologists report.

We do not have a waiting list therefore we are usually able to offer patients an appointment within a few days of receiving a referral.

I believe they are partly funded by charity, which is why they are quite cheap.  Waiting time sounds excellent though!

One question, I don't know what they mean by a one part or two part scan, do they mean two parts of your body?  Or is two parts one without and one with contrast?

Cheltenham is about three hours away so not too bad (and coincidentally where I was born), I think I might have to raid the piggy bank and go for it. 

Alison

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 05:48:44 am »
Hi nn,
they sound brilliant. All the latest machines too. And cheap!

I'd ask them, but I think one part is one body area so head should be one? Also the rad report included, great. I'd ring and book if i were you.

And great to know they are in Cheltenham, too as not too far from me either if I had to resort to private for monitoring mine post radiotherapy.

Are you gong to go for it?

Alison

Nuttyneddy

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 05:54:40 am »
Yes, I am  :)  I'll ring my doctors when I get home this afternoon and sort out getting a referral (it has to come from your GP).

Hubby is keen for me to have this rather than him spending the money on a new chainsaw - true love if ever I saw it  ;D

Alison

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 06:07:19 am »
Hi again,

great news, better to have a happy wife than a chain saw!

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

Alison x