Author Topic: horrible taste in mouth (post surgery)  (Read 20873 times)

maryjowillis

horrible taste in mouth (post surgery)
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:11:06 am »
Seeking advice on how others managed a horrible taste in mouth post AN surgery.  My first surgery was 9/10/13.  I had to have a 2nd surgery for a CSF leak on 11/6/13.  After the first surgery I had this horrible taste come into my mouth supposedly from damage and/or manipulation of the facial nerve.  The second surgery made it worse.  I have gained much weight in trying to find a food that tastes good or satisfies, but have been unsuccessful.  Please advise how others have managed this.  Does this bad taste ever go away?  What has anyone done to improve this if it has never gone away (or otherwise). I know I need to eat to meet my body's nutritional requirements.  However, I no longer enjoy fixing (or eating) meals or eating out with family and friends.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: horrible taste in mouth (post surgery)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:12:25 am »
Those of us on the Forum who've experienced this call it "metallic mouth".

I had it post op.  It eventually goes away, but it takes time.  In my case it took at least 6 months.

Someone told me that taking zinc would help.  I tried it and my metallic mouth did go away, but I'm not sure it can be attributed to the zinc; it might have just cleared up on its own.

That said, taking zinc generally won't harm you, so you could always try it and see if it helps.

Hang in there; your surgeries weren't that long ago and with most things AN, time will bring improvement.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

v357139

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 07:06:13 pm »
I had very, very bad taste in my mouth before surgery.  Was so bad that I did not want to eat.  I found that soft foods like pasta were easier to get down.  Anything that required less chewing was better.  More chewing meant more time in my mouth with more unpleasant taste.  Mild tasting foods were better than strong tasting foods.  Milk shakes were also good, and I also drank Ensure to help get more protein and nutrition.  Good luck and here's hoping it goes away.  Some post op symptoms are temporary.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

swift977

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 10:48:12 am »
OH MY.... I had that metallic taste in my mouth for over 2 years! I went to different dentist and they had no idea what was wrong with me! :(

Hokiegal

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 06:16:56 pm »
Yep, two years post-op, and sorry to report the yicky taste is still there.  But coffee and chocolate still taste good so I make out okay :)
3.0cm AN diagnosed 08/11, age 47
surgery 09/11, Dr. Patel (MUSC), 95% removed
SSD with tinnitus, right side facial paralysis, vision and balance issues
facial movement much improved, and still returning after 3yrs
"We are better than we think, and not quite what we want to be."  Nikki Giovanni