Author Topic: MRI soon  (Read 23769 times)

lizziemiller

MRI soon
« on: August 01, 2012, 04:50:03 am »
Hi everyone,
 I am new to the forum so hope I'm doing this correctly. I have not been diagnosed with AN but had a hearing test recently and was told I have to have an MRI scan due to my differential hearing loss. They did not explain why, so it took a google search to find out for myself and it was quite a shock as I had not heard of AN before. Anyway, my question is does anyone know if I am likely to be given the contrast substance as part of the MRI (in the UK) and secondly can I refuse to have the contrast? Will it make a difference to the ability to diagnose whether there is an AN?

I am concerned about this as I have always suffered from severe migraines/headaches (not associated I hope with ear problems)and from searching on the internet it seems as though many people have after effects due to the use of contrast material -  typically dizziness and headaches etc.

Does anyone have any experience they could share with me? My scan is in a few days time.

I was so pleased to find this forum given the lack of explanation at the hospital.
Thanks so much,
 lizziemiller

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: MRI soon
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:12:14 am »
Hi, Lizzie.

The only way to definitively diagnosis an acoustic neuroma is with an MRI - and preferably with gadolinium contrast.

Without contrast, if you have a medium/large AN the MRI would probably pick it up, but a small AN might be missed.  The contrast causes the AN to "light up" on the MRI film.

You don't say why you don't want contrast, but if you are concerned that it will be damaging to you (specifically your kidneys), rest assured that it would take vast quantities for gadolinium to be an issue (unless you already have serious kidney issues).  Most hospitals require blood tests prior to administering the gadolinium (BUN & creatinine) to make sure it's safe for the patient.

Hearing loss can be caused by many things other than an AN, but if you do have an AN you've come to the right place for information and support.

Good luck with your MRI.  Please keep us posted.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 11:23:13 am »
Hi Lizzie and so glad you decided to post your concerns .....

That is why many of us "old-timers" stay active on this forum ..... to help people relax and understand the nature of ANs.

We have several regular posters from the UK and they can tell you better than I about MRIs in the UK.  However, if I recall correctly, a recent poster in the UK had difficulty getting her MRI done with contrast.  According to her, they typically do not use contrast material for MRIs of the brain, which seems very odd to me.

Some of the newer MRI machines these days are creating clearer pictures so are capable of picking up smaller ANs.  Also, here in the US, it depends upon how the doctor orders the MRI as to how thin the slices (number of pictures in sequence) are.  Hopefully, if your doctor is suspecting an AN, the order will be the right one to be able to see even a tiny AN.

Let us know what you find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

stevecms

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 08:39:44 am »
hi lizzie,just had my follow up mri.i asked the question why they did half the mri without contrast and then added it for the 2nd half.without contrast it shows up any bleeding etc and then contast is used to pick up anything else.hope that is some help.steve :)
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

PamJ

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:36:59 pm »
Hi I'm in the UK and have had many MRI scans over the past 3 years.  I have always had the dye injections and had no problems, the last two times I've had MRI scans I have had to have a blood test before having the dye and this now seems to be the case with all hospitals in the UK.  The only thing I would say is that when I have the dye it makes me feel a bit hot but maybe just me.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:50:13 pm »
Pam ~

The requirement for a blood test prior to having the MRI is also becoming the norm in the U.S.

Like you, the dye just makes me feel warm for a bit, nothing more.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

PamJ

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:00:48 pm »
It's obviously for safety reasons that can only be good.  I can't understand though why the first half of the MRI scan is done normal and then halfway through they inject the dye.
March 2011 - Acoustic Neuroma translab surgery
July    2011 - Tarsorrhaphy surgery
June   2012 - BAHA abutment surgery
July    2012 - Tarsorrhapy reversed
Sept   2012 - BAHA (Pronto Pro) fitted
Sept   2013 - Diplopia Surgery
April   2014 - Platinum chain surgery

lizziemiller

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 03:03:10 am »
Thanks so much for all these helpful comments. Now at least I have a bit more understanding of what to expect at the MRI - especially the likelihood of having a blood test before contrast etc. That helps a lot. Will let you know what happens.
Thanks again. Lizzie

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 10:40:50 am »
Dear Lizzie,

If you go  for an MRI with contrast (I cannot I can only receive CT scans with contrast) the contrast material is dye that has to be flushed out of your kidneys with water. So drink plenty of water before and after having the dye injected. I have had many Ct scans done to me all with dye, the discomfort (warm feeling) only lasts minutes and will only be temporary. Good luck with your MRI with contrast! By the way, you have come to a very welcoming place if you have an Acoustic Neuroma.

I have been actively writing about my experiences since late  January and already I am a senior member (paying-it-forward providing advice), it is very encouraging to help each new member and guide them through each step. There was a time I did this without the support of this group of caring people (a very dark time for me indeed). Going through this journey is a lot easier with our support, believe me!

Pleased to meet you if only by computer! Please come back often.

Even though none of us has medical degrees, we can provide you with the patient's point of view as many of us have already sought treatment. There is plenty of information here for your perusal. If you have trouble just start a new thread and ask a question.

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Chances3

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 11:04:13 am »
Hi Lizzie,

I have had a number of MRI's with contrast with no harm, I hope that helps.  For the migraines, a very good friend of mine suffered for two years with terrible migraines.  She was taking all kinds of pills to bring the pain down.  She switched doctors and the new guy found out she was allergic to gluten.  She went on a gluten free diet, and the migraines went away !

Trish G

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 08:38:34 pm »
Hi Lizzie,

I have had several MRIs and CT scans. All with and without contrast.  I have not had any problem with the contrast.

I did have to have a blood test prior to the MRIs.   This was done a week before the test.  The blood test is to check your creatinine level.  The creatinine level is an accurate measure of how your kidneys are working.  They want to be sure your kidneys will be able to clear the dye.  If the level comes out even a little high, they can adjust the dose of contrast they give.

Hope this helps.   

Trish

Lou

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 09:34:16 am »
Hi Lizzie, welcome to the forum. I am also in the UK, i have had two MRI's both done with the dye,first portion without, second half with, I have not however had blood tests prior to scan. I think this might be an area thing, you know how the NHS works... a mystery to everyone. i contemplated not having the dye but then decided to go with it for more accurate results. Good luck -keep us posted
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 02:03:19 pm »
I did have to have a blood test prior to the MRIs.   This was done a week before the test. 

I typically have my blood tests done in the morning and my MRI in the afternoon; medical facilities vary on this.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lizziemiller

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 04:04:21 am »
Thank-you so much everyone for all these helpful and welcoming comments. They gave me such reassurance before the MRI, which is now over. I was told categorically that no contrast needed as the scanner is a new one and so not necessary. It was all over in ten or so minutes so now I just have to wait for the results.  Judging from all of your comments it may not be as simple as all that but I will wait to see what happens. By the way I am in Somerset. It does all sound very random re the contrast requirement from what you all say.
Thanks again. Will report back later.
Lizzie

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 01:24:57 pm »
Lizzie,

Glad to hear that you had your MRI. Hoping and praying for the result you are hoping for.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!