Author Topic: MRI results  (Read 27793 times)

sarah001

MRI results
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:09:08 am »
Hi how long does it usually take to get your MRI results back I live in Gloucestershire in the south west of England I had the scan done 16 days ago at Cheltenham General Hospital and have not heard anything yet! in one way I suppose no news is good news but it would be nice to know

Sarah

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: MRI results
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 05:42:08 am »
Hi Sarah .....

I really have no way of knowing how quickly you could expect MRI results to be done in England.  In my case (in the US), the imaging facility gives me two copies of the CD right at the time of the scan, which I am free to go home and put into my computer.  (Of course, I am never quite sure if what I am seeing is of concern or not.   ::))  Then in usually 24, sometimes 36 hours later the report is ready, which now I also go back and pick up from the imaging center.  In the States, the scan and report must be given to the patient upon request.

I must continue to say that for many people looking at a CD and/or reading a report and finding out you have a tumor may be devastating.  For those people, I would strongly urge you to wait for a doctor's confirmation because then you can ask questions at the same time.  I would also urge you to take a family member or friend with you when you go for your follow-up visit to learn the scan results.  If the report shows a tumor, it can be such a shock that you do not know what to ask or remember what the doctor says (that happened to me the first time).

One word of caution, in this case no news after this length of time does not guarantee that it is good news.  Scan reports can be lost or mis-placed.  If I were you, I would call the doctor or imaging center and find out if the report is ready yet.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

HeidiC

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:43:06 am »
I agree with Claire.  I would call and find out, just to be sure.  LIke she said,  no call does not necessarily mean good news.  My follow up appointment was a month after my first MRI and the Dr waited till then to tell me I had a tumor.  Hopefully your news is better!

~Heidi
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

mattsmum

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:15:40 pm »
hi sarah - i am in uk too (west mids).
the report will be sent to whoever requested the scan (eg GP, ENT?) who should have made an arrangement to give you the resut when available. some doctors will give results over the phone, but most would want to see you in person in a clinic/surgery.
it should be available by now - call the secretary of the doctor requesting the scan to ask how you will be told the result and when.
best of luck,

vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

JAndrews

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 07:44:25 pm »
I live in Florida, I had my results the next morning
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

sarah001

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:45:02 am »
Hi thanks for the messages, still not got the results back I phoned the ENT hospital that referred me for the scan last week and asked if my results were back and instead of looking it up she put me through to the scanning room of the other hospital and they said my consultant had received my results so I phoned the consultants secretary who said they are not back yet and he would write to me when there back, I know there busy but I wish they would hurry up as I get a lot of headaches always in the same place on the left side of my head between my temple and ear and facial numbness and I don't know if it is serious or not  :(

Sarah

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:45:29 am »
Hi Sarah .....

I don't know about you, but if it were me, I would be calling someone every day until I got an answer.  It sounds to me like the report could have been misfiled or misplaced.  You should not have to wait this long.

Just my opinion, of course ......  I guess there could be a legitimate reason why they are putting you off.

Let us know what you find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

sarah001

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 06:29:38 am »
Hi thanks Clarice, the post has just been and still no letter so I will take your advice and phone my doctors surgery first at 2pm when they reopen if they have not got a copy of them I will phone the consultants office again and see what is happening and let you know

Sarah

sarah001

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 07:48:18 am »
Well I phoned the surgery and they have not had any results back there so I phoned the consultants secretary and a different consultants one answered and said that she is not working today so try tomorrow as she could not check for me so another day to wait

Sarah

JAndrews

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 11:36:44 am »
I would go there and get the results.
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

mattsmum

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 08:32:30 am »
hi sarah - sorry to hear you are not getting very far.
as clarice says - keep phoning every day until you get an answer.
hope it is good news when you get it, and that you do not have to wait too much longer,

best wishes,

vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

sarah001

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 09:46:22 am »
Thank you for your messages, still no news I phoned the hospital again today and it went to an answer phone message which said the secretary only works until 3pm and I called at 3.30 ' typical' so I will be phoning earlier tomorrow if nothing arrives in the post

Sarah

JAndrews

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 04:46:50 pm »
You should remind your physician that he or she works for you....she or he is your employee right now

grega

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 10:26:51 am »
Hi Sarah .... yep, keep calling .... or fax a real big message to that doctor ASAP.

Each year since 2005, within a week of my annual follow-up MRIs, my doctor's right-hand nurse calls with the results.  Then after I get my own copy from the MRI-guys, I fax questions about the big words back to that great nurse.  I always get satisfaction.

Hope you do also ..... cause your ARE worth it, and you deserve it!!!!!!!!

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

sarah001

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 02:36:27 am »
 :) Thank you for the messages, still not had the results so I think it must be OK as it is four weeks on Saturday since I had it done, I did phone up last Thursday and the secretary said the consultant had looked at the results on the Tuesday and would write to me with the results

Sarah