Author Topic: Marching in place, eyes closed Test  (Read 25320 times)

jerseygirl

Re: Marching in place, eyes closed Test
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 03:28:45 pm »
Great test! I tried it and moved forward a couple of feet, however, I did not fall over or turned to the side! I wonder what this moving forward means.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 06:54:29 am »
Great test! I tried it and moved forward a couple of feet, however, I did not fall over or turned to the side! I wonder what this moving forward means.

Eve

I had a similar result -- it felt like I was marching in place but when I opened my eyes I was about 5 feet straight ahead of where I started. No movement to either side, though.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

jerseygirl

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 07:40:54 am »
Very interesting, Neal. I am glad I am not alone.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

grega

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 09:48:04 am »
Goodness, Eve, you are certainly not alone!  You, and others who have taken this "test" are in a very wonderful, select group ..... a group of people who are not afraid of taking chances, of having a bit of fun while no one else is present.  I would hasten a guess that the vast majority of people in the world have never tried what we've done ..... except, perhaps as children .... to close our eyes and march in place for some amount of time .... and have the guts to (hopefully)laugh at ourselves at the surprise outcome of where we've traveled.

I too did this, on doctor's orders, many years ago.  And thinking back, I wonder who ever decided that this closed-eye traveling.... without music .... should mean anything at all.  By what you and others have said in this thread, it seems as if there's no rhyme or reason to direction or distance  ..... do you think anyone can say there is?????

Just thinking out loud ..... :D

Greg
1.5 cm AN retrosig 11/04.
Drs. Henry Brem & Michael Holliday @ Johns Hopkins, Baltimore
SSD right. Tinnitus big-time, only when thinking of it.
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

Jenn15b

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 10:16:10 am »
Wow, they results do vary.  Greg, I agree there appears to be no rhyme or reason.  So what is the doctor looking for when the test is done?  Falling over? Turning to the right or left? Moving forward?
3.2mm x 3.8mm
Diagnosed 3/24/10
Blog: www.jennsanjourney.blogspot.com

grega

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 01:29:48 pm »
Beats me!  Maybe a dr will chime in here and splain it. 

I only did it once, and I'm guessin that's the case for most of us .... under supervision, that is.  Perhaps we should look at it like a coin flip ..... if we do this several or more times, then we ourselves will have some statistic about our "performance"  :o

Maybe a video of our traveling would be interesting ............ maybe not.  Next time I try it, I'll make sure the music is on!

Keep  ;D -ing!

Greg
BAHA since 7/20/10 ... really helps w/ hearing, specially after programming in subliminal message: "Hey, don't listen to your tinnitus!"

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 07:01:11 am »
This was so funny!  My tumor was on the left.  I ended up turned about 45 degrees to the left, but my position was back and to the right.  I thought my balance had improved a lot, but it was still pretty hard.  I gave up after 45 seconds because it took a lot of concentration and I was afraid I would fall.

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

goinbatty

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 07:55:21 am »
I tried this 3x and every time I ended up turning about 90 degrees to the right (tumor on right).  I was shocked and amazed!!  I'll have to admit I stood there laughing at myself.  Good thing noone else was around or they would have definitely thought I was loopy!
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

grega

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2010, 08:48:37 am »
Hi "batty" et al,

The most important part is that you "... stood there laughing at myself."  Hopefully others who do this alone or with docs or family present also laugh!   ;D

Greg