Author Topic: Had GK Yesterday  (Read 4152 times)

Shorebird

Had GK Yesterday
« on: November 20, 2010, 08:30:09 am »
Hi ANA friends,

I wanted to check in to say that I had GK for my 2.5cm AN w/ Dr. Georg Noren in Providence yesterday and the treatment went very well.   I'm a Toastie Postie!

I knew going in that it would be a very, very long day (11 hours!).  With the help of Lidicain and a shot of Antivan, the head frame went on without a hitch.  Then came the MRI and CT scan...and then the waiting while they planned my treatment.

By the time I was ready for the actual radiation, the Ativan had worn off.  Since they said another shot of it might make me nauseous, I opted to go through the treatment (2 actual hours in the machine) without it...and I was fine.  The machine was very quiet and almost relaxing.  Heck, they even played my Miles Davis CD for me!  The only uncomfortable parts for me where when they had to unhook and rehook me as they changed collimators.  That was a big jarring.  And during some of the slight machine movements during the treatment, I felt like it was pulling by my neck and spine, but nothing I couldn't handle.

In order to avoid the Lidicain from settling around my eyes (and swelling them shut), they suggested that I sleep propped up on 3 pillows.  I woke up this morning with very little swelling and dull headache.  That was it!

All in all, it went even better than expected.  So I've gotten through the diagnosis phase and the treatment phase.  Now the REAL journey begins!

I'm thankful to have you all here to "talk" to throughout the process.  Thank you!

- Cindy

questions?586

Re: Had GK Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:54:29 am »
Cindy,

I'm glad you're a toasted and posted!  Your description will be of help to others.  I hope that headache is gone soon!

Starr
AN 1.4 cm x 1.7 cm x 1.0 cm
fair amount of hearing loss right ear
diagnosed 7/29/10

I'm a fun and reasonable RN, now living far from appropriate medical care. Feeling overwhelmed!

moe

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 11:01:57 am »
Congrats on getting that GK done. What a relief!
Let us know how you continue to feel OK?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 12:45:21 pm »
Cindy ~

Congratulations on successfully completing your GammaKnife treatment.  I'm glad to learn that it went smoothly for you.  I trust the recovery phase will be similarly unproblematic.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 02:42:56 pm »
Miles Davis is an excellent choice for radiation treatment music. I approve.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 06:31:32 am »
Miles Davis... great choice. For my 5 days, I brought everything from Elton John, Yanni, U2 and for my last day.... in April, over Easter.... I brought Chipmunks Christmas! :)

Cindy, MAJOR congrats on becoming a "toastie postie".  Dr Noren is terrific for GK treatment and now, onward and upward to wellness.  Hang in there and sending wellness wishes your way!

Congrats!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:29:46 am »
Congrats fellow "zapper" !!!   Time to relax and enjoy the holiday!  Best wishes on your follow-up MRI.

GM
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Angela R.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 02:22:47 pm »
Glad it went so well.  Mine was awful since I am TOTALLY CLAUSTRAPHOBIC! Glad you didn't have that problem :-\
6/2010 translabyrinthine surgery, total hearing loss in the right ear
10/2007 gamma knife surgery

Shorebird

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 06:13:32 pm »
Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone! 

It's so interesting to hear what kinds of music people pick for their treatment!

I do have more swelling in the forehead/eye area today and the top of my head is now numb.  I probably should have kept the latter part to myself.  Since I actually said those words outloud to my family and friends, the "numb skull" jokes have NOT stopped!   :D

In all seriousness, so far the side effects I've experienced seem par for the course.

I will continue to keep posting..the good and the bad (if there is any!).

- Cindy

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 07:38:23 pm »
Were you prescribed some steroids?   Pretty common for after GK treatment.  Check with your doc if you need them.   
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

mk

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 08:39:34 pm »
The swelling on the forehead is quite common. I had it for a few days, but it resolved quickly. I actually didn't read the instructions carefully to apply some cold compresses right after the treatment.
It is only logical that some numbness will exist. After all, you had these pins for so many hours.
I also experienced some sharp piercing pains along the bone which came and went instantaneously during the first couple of months. The good thing was that they were on the good side (where the pin site was more sore), so I knew that it wasn't some kind of AN related nerve pain, but just from the frame.

No worries, these minor problems resolve very quickly.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 09:27:43 pm »
Congratulations on your toastie-postie-hood, Cindy!

My skull (mostly the top) was numb for a couple days immediately following my last (of three) CK treatments, so this is not an unusual symptom. It should resolve very quickly.

Best wishes for smooth sailing from here on out!

Sincerely,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Shorebird

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 01:21:56 pm »
Good to know that the slight side effects that I've been feeling so far are totally normal.  That gives me some peace of mind!

No, I was not prescribed steroids (and hope to not need them), but I do know that they are an option should I need them.

I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving!

- Cindy

Vivian B.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 07:12:36 pm »
I had swelling on the forehead as well specially on one side. Wishing you a speedy recovery in the GK world.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.