Author Topic: Could use some pep-talking  (Read 3141 times)

gabesgourmet

Could use some pep-talking
« on: February 21, 2015, 08:05:24 am »
 :'(  So...I am facing my second AN surgery on Mar. 5. My first AN surgery was Feb. 2011- it was a 12 hour surgery that resulted in nerve damage in my face, arm and single sided deafness.  This time around the tumor is back the same size as the first time 3.5-5 cm so I'm scared.  Does anybody have any advice or info about what I should expect second time around? I've been warned that my facial nerve will "most likely" be permanently damaged-anyone able to give me hope??

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Could use some pep-talking
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:00:32 am »
Hi Jamie .....

So sorry you have had a miserable time dealing with your AN.

Although I have not gone through what you have, I can empathize with you on the fears associated with regrowth.

First of all, (and you can private message me, if you would rather) are you going back to the same doctors who treated you the first time?  If so, have they told you which surgical approach they will use this time?  I truly hope you are going to doctors who are greatly experienced dealing with acoustic neuromas, especially one that has grown back.

In my case, I went to experienced doctors (different ones) for both surgeries.  My first surgery was via retrosigmoid approach.  The second one (three years later) was via translabyrinthine approach.  Regarding the recoveries:  the first recovery was much more difficult and took longer than the second time ..... mostly, I think, because my brain/body had already adjusted to the balance issues after the first surgery.  That being said, I did not have facial issues either time ..... except for some mild facial weakness after the second one.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mimispree

• HUG A NURSE TODAY!
Re: Could use some pep-talking
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 10:02:20 am »
Hey GabesGourmet:

I'm so sorry you have to go through this experience a second time.  I'll be marking my calendar on March 5, and I will be awaiting your posts shortly afterwards.

I had Translab and the healing of the incision was nothing.  It was almost like there wasn't an incision.  I was able to walk around the ward by day three. 

If I had to do it over again I'd probably bring a couple of things I didn't know to bring the first time to make it easier.  Such as:  Earplugs, my favorite pillow, my favorite water bottle. 

I'm guessing from your user name you're either in the restaurant business or a fan of gourmet food.  I've been in the restaurant/food business since for forty years--Yipes!

I have been told a few times now that my facial nerve may not get any better, but what are you going to do?  We are more than our half-paralyzed face--much more. 

Best wishes,
Michelle
2.8cm Trigeminal Neuralgia tumor removed Translabyrinthine approach on July 31, 2014 at the University of Utah Health Center.
Dr. Clough Shelton and Dr. William Couldwell.
SSD; Right side facial paralysis; Poor right eye sight; Dizzy 24/7; Eyelid implant 02/215; Sense of humor intact.