Author Topic: Got my date...  (Read 6563 times)

Dantheman

• Orthodox Christian Bookstore
Got my date...
« on: January 31, 2007, 07:33:20 pm »
Hi everybody,

February 13th is the day I get this damned thing cut out! Yeee haaa!

I also found out that the tumor is on my facial nerve as well, so I guess there will be some palsy in my future. That's OK. I just want to get it over with so I can start mending. Hopefully if I get that it will be temporary.

I'm having Trans lab at Westchester Medical Center with Dr Murali (neurosurgeon) and Dr Mieteles (otologist).

Dan

Diagnosed 12/08/2006. 1.7 cm Right Side AN.
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.
TransEar worn since 4/17/07.

mykey

Re: Got my date...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 07:41:49 pm »
Dan,
We will add you to our daily sabaticals in our home. Good luck and I believe that all will turn out well for you.
I am not far behind you in the line for surgery. Although we have not scheduled it yet, I am sure it will happen within the next 4-6 months.

Mykey
Diagnosed  1/20/2007. Right side AN 2.5 cm
50yr, guitarist for 35 yrs.
Married w/10yr old son.
Translab 4/26/07 at Emory University performed by: Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson
Surgery successful!
Extended time in ICU due to CSF leaks.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 05:29:30 am »
Hi Dan:

Wow, alot of surgeries coming up this month -
Will keep you in my prayers.
Try to keep a peaceful heart through this journey.

Wishing you all the best,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 06:40:00 am »
Prayers will a bound your way!  May things go well!  Let us know the outcome as soon as your'e able!

Dealy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 06:44:18 am »
Dan-Same to you as as wished Tim. Keep the faith. That is easy too say but hard to do sometimes when we face adversity. My mother used to tell me when she was alive. "It could be worse"> Well I never understood that philosophy-I do now. With a tear in my eye and a hug for you as one human being for another- Best wishes-Ron.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 09:28:49 am »
Dan,

cheering you on as well! Seems that this is going to be an active month for treatments and know you are going to do great. I love your positive attitude and we're here to help keep that positive attitude flowing. :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

cindysip

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 10:04:07 am »
Dan, I will keep you in my prayers. A positive attitude goes a long way in recovery!
Diagnosed 1/07 2mm AN - symptoms included spinning sensations when awakening, balance problems & mild hearing loss
6/07 - followup MRI no growth
6/08 - no growth, hearing unchanged

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 12:00:10 pm »
Good luck Dan!  As a recent translabber myself, you are going to do just fine.  I had 6 nerves involved, and my facial paresis is slowly improving every day, and now most people don't even notice it....just me with all the weird things.  So if I can do it (as my very first surgery ever) so can you!!!!!  I'll be sending you massive good thoughts and hope you can have some chocolate for Valentine's day!!! 

Hugs!  Kathleen
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 02:44:57 pm »
Dan:

At this writing, (February 6th) you are a week away from surgery so I wanted to jump in here and add my voice to the chorus of well-wishers who will be praying for you, before, during and after your surgery.  Most of the gang here know what it's like to be pre-op, and waiting.  Today, I'm where I hoped to be while I waited for my surgery date, which, due to my tumor's large size, was scheduled very quickly, following my diagnosis.

Like you, Dan, back in the late spring of '06, I was anxious to get the surgery (retrosigmoid) and hospitalization past me, move on to recuperation and then back to my 'real' life.  I was able to do so in a reasonable length of time.  I'm genetically impatient but I kept looking to the 'end of the tunnel', as it were, and it finally arrived, late last autumn, when I finished my FSR treatments (26 over 5 weeks) which were painless but tedious and involved a 5-day-a-week, 60-mile round trip. No fun.

Oh, I have a few lingering reminders of my AN experience.  I deal with them and I'm just thankful that they're relatively minor and most will likely resolve themselves in time.  Most of my friends are apparently beginning to forget I ever had a brain tumor and have stopped telling me how "good I look" and/or how 'great I seem to be doing".  Actually, I do 'look good' and I am 'doing great'.  I'm pretty much back to my former (pre-AN diagnosis) routine and except for getting tired a bit more quickly than I used to and avoiding heavy lifting - which carries the benefit of having no one asking me to help them move, anymore-  I'm fine - and happy to be so.

I certainly wish you the same positive outcome, Dan.  Stay strong and focused on that 'light' at the end of the 'tunnel'.  It worked for me. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Dantheman

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 11:47:08 pm »
Jim,

Thank you...and everyone else for the encouragement. I am looking forward to getting it done and I have, so far been able to remain positive and maintain my sense of humor.

I  will take your advice and remain focused on the light at the end of the tunnel, I just don't want to "go into the light" yet...If you know what I mean. ;)

I  tell everyone that I'm going to get the best night's sleep that I've ever had...and wake up with the worst hangover!

Thank you again for your support.

Dan
Trans-lab performed on 02/13/2007 by Dr. Lawrence Meiteles and Dr. Raj Murali at Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, N.Y.

Obita

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 06:17:56 am »
Hi Dan:

Best of luck to you!!

That last week before surgery is the worst......for me, it was not being anxious about the surgery but, being anxious to have it OVER.

I will be thinking of you,  Kathy

ps:  May the nasty bugger come out nice and easy..... ;D

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 08:26:15 am »
Dan,
  Best of luck with your treatment.  The best part of about surgery is that you will probably lose a few pounds while in the hospital, although I can't really recommend it as a weight loss method. 
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Dantheman

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 10:09:09 am »
Rob,

Well at least something good will come out of it! I put on a few pounds being I was on prednisone over the holidays. I just have'nt had it in me to exercise much since I was diagnosed. I've been rather indulgent when it comes to my wife's fine baked goods...

Dan

Sam Rush

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 10:20:47 am »
Good luck, I had a tran-lab for AN on facial nerve. NO FACIAL PARALYSIS. They can dissect it off while usuing a facial nerve monitor during the surgery.   THINK POSITIVE
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 08:35:33 pm »
Dan: good luck with surgery buddy and yeah ( the only good side benefit of surgery besides getting the damn thing out is the weight loss)! ;D  Take care of yourself, please know you are in my thoughts and prayers- Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys