Author Topic: Translab and hearing nerve  (Read 6218 times)

LMH

Translab and hearing nerve
« on: June 16, 2008, 01:04:50 pm »
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question about the translab approach.  I know that hearing is sacrificed but I spoke with a doctor last week who said it's possible to save the hearing nerve with the translab approach.  I guess I thought b/c hearing was sacrificed the nerve would be as well but is that not always the case? 

Thanks!
Lisa

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Translab and hearing nerve
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 01:56:57 pm »
Lisa -

saving hearing with the translab approach  ???  This is news to me.  It is my understanding that the patient's hearing is automatically sacrificed during translab.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

There are other approaches - mid fossa and retrosigmoid - that give patients a chance of saving their hearing, but there is no guarantee.  I'm a perfect example of that.  I had retrosigmoid and came out SSD.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:32:08 pm »
i second jan and this is news to me too. i have translab and my hearing was sacrificed, the other 2 approaches offer hearing opportunities. 

lisa, which doctor did you speak with? it will be interesting to hear about his approach.
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

LMH

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:34:58 pm »
Jan,

I know I heard him correctly but I'm not really sure what he meant.  I know hearing is lost with the translab but he said it may be possible to preserve the hearing nerve.  I didn't think that's the way it worked.  Just wanted to see if I was missing something.  Thanks!

Lisa

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:26:03 am »
First, you might want to take a look at this topic, posted by Esperanza a few weeks ago. A case of hearing preservation with translab surgery (there have been a few over the years): http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6610.0

Preserving hearing, and preserving the hearing nerve, are two different things. The doctor may mean that enough hearing nerve is preserved that a cochlear implant, or some such technology, is possible as a way of getting a sound signal to the brain. I think some portion of the hearing nerve has to be intact for that, and I believe that translab typically snips off the end, but does not destroy the entire nerve.

Or it could mean something else. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 06:41:32 am »
Preserving hearing, and preserving the hearing nerve, are two different things. The doctor may mean that enough hearing nerve is preserved that a cochlear implant, or some such technology, is possible as a way of getting a sound signal to the brain. I think some portion of the hearing nerve has to be intact for that, and I believe that translab typically snips off the end, but does not destroy the entire nerve.

Steve -

I think you are right about this. 

Also, thanks for the link to Esperanza's post, I either missed it or just didn't remember it.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Melissa778

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 07:48:20 am »
My doc did tell em that there was a slight chance in translab of saving hearing, but usually once they get in there it's unlikely, but not an impossibility.  I had no hope and pretty much considered my hearing to be a goner.....my husband held out hope for some hearing for me.....in the end he was disappointed, and I was prepared.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

LMH

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 07:01:46 am »
Steve - Thank you for that link.  I think you're right in your assessment.  I do remember him mentioning something about a cochlear so he must have meant that it might be possible to save part of the nerve.  He's the first of the multiple doctors I've consulted to even mention that as a possibility.

Melissa - How did your surgery go and how are you recovering?  I hope all is well.

Lisa 

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 04:07:54 pm »
The reason why I opted for the Translab is that I had alread lost most of my hearing in the AN side so losing the rest of it wasn't really an issue.  I do recall that the surgeon said there was little hope that it could be saved.  What that meant I'm not sure.  As Melissa said -- I too was already prepared.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Melissa778

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 08:15:35 am »
LMH,

My surgery went well and I am feelign wonderful at 5 weeks post op.  Back to work part time and for me persoanlly the SSD really isn't that bad.  I've adapted well and for the most part it's not bothersome.  I have the itching at the incision site and occassional nerve type pains, btu other than that I'm great.  My equllibreum was terribel wehn I first came home, but I worked at it and now the only tiem I get the "spinnies" is when I turn my head to fast or bend over and stand up too quickly.  I have wonderful doctors and I still have another go round to get the little guy completely out this fall (Gamma Knife), here's to hoping that goes jsut as smoothly :)  Best of luck to you.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

pswift00

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 02:23:41 pm »
My understanding is that your loss of hearing due to translab has nothing to do with nerves, but rather because the bony canal (or something like that) is sacrificed and actually fills with CSF as a result of the procedure.  But I may have misunderstood my sugeon on that one.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 01:52:32 am »
My understanding is that your loss of hearing due to translab has nothing to do with nerves, but rather because the bony canal (or something like that) is sacrificed and actually fills with CSF as a result of the procedure.  But I may have misunderstood my sugeon on that one.

I could be wrong, since I'm not a doctor, but I don't think this is correct.

Jan

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 09:51:05 am »
HUH  ???

There is NO hearing preservation with the translab- at all... … Only a slighty higher chance of FACIAL nerve preservation.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 10:13:26 am »
First, you might want to take a look at this topic, posted by Esperanza a few weeks ago. A case of hearing preservation with translab surgery (there have been a few over the years): http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6610.0

DHM -

according to this link that Steve posted, apparently it is possible.  Doesn't sound like it's a high probability, rather it's a small possibility.

Jan

pswift00

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 08:34:48 am »

I could be wrong, since I'm not a doctor, but I don't think this is correct.

Jan

Bone in your inner ear canal is removed during this approach, which is why hearing can't be preserved.