Author Topic: Eyes not blinkiing together Question  (Read 6544 times)

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Eyes not blinkiing together Question
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:21:25 pm »
I am just curious. Post op if your eye does not blink at the same time as the other is this facial paralisys? Has anybody had eye issues but no facial issues?

Thank you
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

mk

Re: Eyes not blinkiing together Question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:47:55 pm »
Hi Mindy,

eye problems, such as absence of, or reduced tear production, sluggishness in closing the eye, incomplete eye closure, are frequently an indication of facial weakness - not paralysis, as paralysis means that there is no movement. These functions are controlled by the facial nerve, and it seems that even the slightest damage can cause these eye issues.
The only signs of facial weakness that I had immediately post-op were dry eye, and my eye did not close all the way (it left a very tiny opening). The latter problem resolved quickly, but the only lingering issue that I have to date is the dry eye - i.e. there is no tear production, and I can't cry from that eye. My neurosurgeon said that most likely "I will never cry properly", but that eye lubrication could be restored with time.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 07:34:24 pm »
Thanks Marianna. I think that i asked the wrong question. I am wondering if anybody had a slightly droopy eye lid pre surgery? I notice it but nobody else does. It blinks with the other eye and I have tears in the eye but the lid is just slightly different from the other. Strange. I've had it for awhile so I'm not sure.

Thanks
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

mk

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:54:50 pm »
I am not sure about this, but before my surgery sometimes it seemed to me that the right (AN side) eye brow was at a slightly lower level than the other one. It might have been my idea, but I noticed this usually in the evenings and when I was tired. I never noticed this after surgery. Of course it is different from what you are saying, but I suppose both symptoms could be attributed to the facial nerve being affected.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Lou

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:16:57 pm »
Hi
I have almost the exact same problem,one of my eyes now looks slightly smaller that the other and it looks like it has dropped slightly. It is more noticeable when I am stressed or tired. The funny thing is, it is on the side with the smaller neuroma

Lou
''The more difficulties one has to encounter, within and without, the more significant and the higher in inspiration his life will be''

Bilateral facial nerve neuromas
8mm left side and 7mm right side. diagnosed late 2011.Watch and Wait Staus -  Currently at
the mercy of the English NHS system