Author Topic: Any ointments out there that aren't so SOLID out of the tube?  (Read 5942 times)

spgreenfield

Any ointments out there that aren't so SOLID out of the tube?
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:51:50 am »
The ointment from my surgery is SO SOLID it just sits in my eye like a log until I mush it around into my eye.  Not wanting to waste my money buying a bunch of different brands just to see if they are not so solid....I'm 1 month post surgery and yesterday I had to resort to ointment for some reason (it's really cold outside so dry inside is probably the reason....)  I also did a lot more yesterday - was outside, cleaned inside, etc.....hoping that I can go back to just gel drops shortly as the ointment doesn't allow for much vision out of the AN eye.....my blinking is also speeding up a bit too...but still not "there" yet....
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Any ointments out there that aren't so SOLID out of the tube?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:57:00 pm »
Pam ~

Although I don't have any experience with eye ointments, I'm thinking that perhaps warming up the tube a bit before opening it might help the ointment to flow a bit better.  Just a suggestion that I hope may prove useful.

Addendum: warming above room temperature tends to reduce the density of gels and other ointments - but no guarantees.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:52:25 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 03:21:26 pm »
What kind of ointment are you using? I've used Refresh PM (& a few other things) for 16 years now & have never had to do anything. I used to live where it got VERY cold & was outside in it a lot, but have never had any trouble. I know Systane has a new "Gel Drop" out that might work for you but I'd still use the ointment at night until all better!

Good luck,
;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 03:50:45 pm »
Hi, I have been using the Refresh PM at night too, and it is "torture" sometimes waiting on that drop to drop! and it is thick so I  lightly rub it around some after putting it in. But since I only use it at night, I just close my eye and it is not bad. I don't think I could use something that  thick during the day though as it does make it hard to focus. I have only tried one other brand in the last 3 months and it did not seem as thick. So went back to Refresh PM for the time being ,, but it is so slow out of tube that it is like torture waiting for it to drop!....and I am in ALA,, so don't think the cold is really the problem... :)
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

spgreenfield

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:52:21 pm »
They gave me a generic "ointment" to use post surgery....will pick up the refresh PM - I've been using a "gel" drop but it wasn't lasting as long.....and yes - I'm only able to focus out of my good eye, but if that means not getting an ulcer or "white" spot on my AN eye for the time being then I'm ok with being one-eyed as well.  Today I have a heck of a headache....not sure if it's related to not being able to focus, but I'm baking and reading recipes which isn't helping much anyway.....so am I getting this right - the refresh PM is a drop and not an ointment?  And it lasts all night too????
Pam in South Dakota

Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 09:00:01 pm »
I was a bit confused by that post also as I know of Refresh PM as only coming in ointment form so I don't understand about how it could "drop" - I just squeeze it on my lower lid and either go to bed or start my day. It does distort my vision, but that's the only choice I have - before I started using it 24/7, I had to have my eye completely sewn shut - I definitely prefer this!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

spgreenfield

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 08:08:50 am »
Kaybo-

Thank you for posting this as I was WANTING an ointment but very confused by the posts.  I've tried the gel drops that are thick and they just aren't "enough" protection for my eye at this point of my journey.....I will go and pick up some Refresh PM ointment (when I went I would have probably guessed it was ointment by the tube container....) today and see if it works any better than the generic stuff the hospital gave me.  Probably will as they would have given me what was cheapest for them to dispense and inventory....
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Brewers7

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 01:23:16 pm »
I use Walgreens brand.  Same ingredients as Refresh PM but thinner (and cheaper)
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

spgreenfield

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 05:36:31 pm »
I actually compared the walgreens brand to the refresh pm and the ingredients are the same but different proportions.  The refresh pm DID come out in a drop when it was warm from the store. (it got cooler in my purse though...)  It has a much higher ratio of mineral oil to petroleum jelly.....hence it would be more "liquid" than the other.  I bought it (obviously) and it's great!
Pam in South Dakota

Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12