Author Topic: for those along the TX/Gulf coast (and inland)  (Read 12899 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
for those along the TX/Gulf coast (and inland)
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:54:41 am »
I'm sending wishes to you all as Ike is deciding what to do in its life. Please stay safe.....wishes and prayers to all those in the targeted/evacuated areas.

Be safe and please check back in when you can.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: for those along the TX/Gulf coast (and inland)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 07:54:54 am »
Thanks, Phyl!

Some of our areas are under mandatory evacuation, as a matter of fact just around the corner from us!  My daughter lives a block away from the bayou so she is evacuating.  My husband and I are shuttering up and sheltering in place unless things change..................I can't handle a repeat of Rita and all of that traffic.
I'll keep updates coming as long as I have power!!  Maybe it will be a "blow by blow!"  ;)
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:55:49 am »
Brenda~
I was wondering about you!!  My in-laws said the same thing about reliving the Rita nightmare!!  Funny story about that though...my in-laws had not been able to get ahold of their son and his family.  They live in West U and my in-laws live in the Memorial area (off I-10).  We'd been in touch several times by cell phone with MIL/FIL and they were a bit concerned about the other family.  They  are both very intelligent (Federal Judge & lawyer), but not very "practical" smart - figured they hadn't filled up or really planned ahead.  They ran into them on the big "parking lot" of a freeway - my BIL was making the boys PUSH the car to save on gas (they had filled up)!!  LOL!!  Isn't that crazy that they "ran into" each other?  You know what a crazy mess that was!!  Needless to say, the kids got in Grandma & Grandad's car - everything is more fun with grandparents - even evacuating!!  ;D
Stay safe!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 10:55:08 pm »
Brendalu, be careful!  We're in Cypress (NW side of town) and we're staying put too.  I couldn't handle being in that mess of traffic with two small kids (3 and 8)!  I just hope we're made the right decision.  Time will telll, I guess.  Be safe.

Kaybo, funny story!  It's wild they ran into each other in all that chaos!

Regards,

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Brendalu

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 04:52:47 am »
We've got our storm shutters up (thanks to a lot of help from my husband's coworker) and they going to my daughter's house to do the same this morning.  We've all been showing for junk food and water.  (Good excuse not to diet).  My brother-in-law is in Beaumont with his haz-mat team ready for that kind of thing and ready to send his crew to help us if we need it.  Our house is gonna be like a B&B!  We have five dogs here, my husband, myself, two daughters, two grandchildren and my neighbor from my old neighborhood (she had been in ICU for ten months last year and two this year) and her Mom (who is here from Canada packing the daughter up to move back there so she can take care of her).  The other grand daughter and her best friend headed to the Woodlands last night to stay with her Dad.  (she thinks he'll have electricity if we don't!)  Priorities you know. Our house is built to withstand 150 mile winds.  Don't know what happens if it hits 151 mph  ;D
Pooter, I lived in your area for quite a while.  My oldest daughter graduated from Cy-Creek in 1989!  Kaybo, I lived in the Memorial area in the '70's!  Small, small world!!
We are pretty close to the action here in d***inson.  Boppie's daughter lives in our neighborhood..  The newspapers this morning are predicting doom for those "hunkering" down that live near Galveston Bay...we'll see.
We accept all prayers and good thoughts.
I , too, will keep y'all posted as long as I can.
Stay safe,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:52:07 am »
Watching & praying...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 08:38:43 am »
Yikes! Hurricanes are no fun.  I was in my house when Class 5 Hugo ripped the roof off it right over my head. Luckily those Danes had built those slave quarters with 2 foot thick stone and coral head walls which protected me and modern man had invented fiberglass shower stalls!  No evacuating a tiny island in the middle of the Caribbean!  Luckily those islands are mountainous with no low-lying areas so flooding wasn't the problem and I was 1/4 mile inland.  It was sooooo loud!  I blamed my hearing loss for years on the storm.  when the eye passed over, it was like someone flipped a switch and turned the whole thing off for about 10 minutes.  I figured the wall eye was what did the rest of the roof in.  My dog was the one who had the bright idea to get in the shower stall! God Bless Laborador retrievers! Smatr critters, they be!

We had no power for 6 months and I had no roof for about as long. .  My stateside landlord collected the insurance but pocketed the money.  He wanted me to moved out, fix the place up and quadruple the rent.  Evictions were prohibited under Martial Law, so there I sat under a blue tarp.  A church group finally showed up and put up a nice temporary roof. The worst part was the mosquitos and no fans.  I finally got a mosquito net from FEMA as they didn't want eveyone getting Dengue or malaria.

So, Brenda and Pooter, Make sure you have plenty of batteries for the radio (I had a ton, but the radio tower blew over and we didn't know what the hell was going on for days!!) and a battery powered fan and a generator!!!!! And if they say leave, YOU LEAVE!!!!!!!!!  Also, plug your good ear!!!!!! The noise can be pretty loud.  Good luck and know that I will be thinking of you and know how stressful this can be.

Watching and Praying, too!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:06:00 am »
Thanks all, right now the storm surge hasn't hit yet and the 61st St Pier in Glaveston is gone and the waves are huge against the Seawall!  We are just about done with preparations and we will be fine!  The wind is picking up to about tropical force right now so we have a mandatory curfew of 6 p.m. tonight through 6 a.m. Saturday morning.  I've got my ear plug ready!!
Brendalu  (I'm a wench so this should be a cake walk!  or maybe walking the plank ;D)
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

TaylorsMom

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 10:16:06 am »
   We lived 2 blocks from the 61st St pier in an apartment off 61st St in '83 when Alicia hit.  Our son was only 11 months old so we got out of there.  Went to Nacogdoches for 3 nights.  Had friends that stayed and said they'd never do that again.  We came back to only one broken window in the kitchen, wet carpets, pieces of shingles that had blown in and left dents in the walls.  No power for a week (we were lucky).  Our apartments had no screens on the windows so we bought a roll of screen and duct taped it in so the mosquitos wouldn't eat us alive.  I was heating baby food and bottles on the balcony with a coleman stove.  The managers told us if your carpet was wet to rip it out and you would get new.   Needless to say, our son spent a lot of the next 2 months it took to get the carpet, in his playpen.  Couldn't let him learn to walk on concrete floors.

We have a lifelong friend in Hitchcock.  We think he probably went towards San Antonio.  Have close friends in Katy also, and others scattered around the area.

Hope all of you down there are prepared or have gotten out already.  Praying you will all get through Ike, OK.

Kathy

TaylorsMom

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 12:41:03 pm »
   Here's some pics for ya'll.  Stay safe down there!!!!!!

Kathy

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 12:42:51 pm »
wow!  Kathy! Whatta mess!  :o  :o  :o  Glad you all turned out ok and safe!!!!!

Brenda, my Pooter (and all those affected)... prayers and wishes for you all for you to stay safe... thinking of you all...

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

TaylorsMom

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 12:52:29 pm »
I don't know what happened. It should have loaded 8 pics.  Guess I'll have to do them 1 at a time.

Kathy

TaylorsMom

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 12:58:06 pm »

TaylorsMom

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 01:00:17 pm »

TaylorsMom

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 01:03:07 pm »