Author Topic: Nasal pressure post translab and CSF surgery  (Read 5136 times)

MNTim

Nasal pressure post translab and CSF surgery
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:53:23 am »
On 1/31 I had a translab followed by surgery to close the eustacian tube on March 14.  Since that time I periodically experience pressure in the upper part of my left nostril (surgery side).  It feels like I have a clogged nostril but when I blow nothing comes out.  Seems to occur when I am more active.  I am still skiddish about CSF leaks and wonder if there is a connection.  My nose doesn't drip so that is a good sign.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

Cheryl R

Re: Nasal pressure post translab and CSF surgery
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 04:43:04 pm »
I wouldn't doubt that there is swelling there that is causing the feeling.     I know when I had to have mine repacked and redone that things felt weird for quite a while.   Of course I did the worry of more leak too.    So have a feeling that you are still recovering from it even if it seems like it should be fine by now.        You can do our standard answer to everything.   Ask your dr if you feel you should.                                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

MNTim

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 10:41:43 am »
Thanks Cheryl.  It is nice to have this sounding board before calling the Dr.  I should be used to all of these weird feelings but I am not.  I am sure you are aware of the "runny nose syndrom"  I think I have a leak every time it runs.

Tim
2/12/11 Lumbar drain

kenneth_k

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 01:09:51 am »
Hi Tim.

I feel exactly the same way. It's been a month since my surgery and closure of the eustachian tube. Lately, I sometimes feel like there is a pressure building up in the middle ear, and I wonder if it is supposed to happen if the tube is closed ???

I will ask my ENT on my follow up.

I also don't like a runny nose ;) But until further, it is just a runny nose, and it is not running fast ;D.

Kenneth
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:48:40 am by kenneth_k »

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 07:20:15 am »
Kenneth, I am 5 yrs since my eustachian tube was closed and I still get a full feeling in that ear for a short time.       I also do on my other side which had mid fossa.     These don't happen at the same time either.       It made me nervous of a new tumor but the MRI a month ago was fine.   After my closure I had some odd feelings for quite a while of pressure and little stab of ear pain.     it did improve finally.               I just call all this my annoyance of the day as it can sure vary.
                                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

MNTim

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:06:16 pm »
Kenneth,

When it is running it is difficult to catch!  Thanks for sharing.  These odd feelings are difficult to get used to.  There are times when I feel like my nose is constantly moist but when I blow nothing comes out.

Were all of your leaks nasal?  What procedures did you have done to attempt to correct the problem?

Tim
2/12/11 Lumbar drain

kenneth_k

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 11:26:18 pm »
Tim.

I had one short leak from the incision when the bandage came off and again when the stitches were removed. It resolved pretty quickly.

App. 1½ years after I started leaking, mostly down the throat, sometimes out of the nose.

1st attempt to stop it was through a lumbar drain. It looked successfull, but started leaking after a couple of months.
2nd attempt was surgery, mastoid re-obliteration with fat and bonewax, temporary eustachian tube closure. Successfull for about a month.
3rd attempt, and hopefully last, was a subtotal petrosectomy with blind sac closure.

The mastoid bone is like a sponge. Lot of air cells, which means lots of opportunities for fluid to escape. It can be difficult to stop, but not impossible.

I hope we will get where Cheryl is. Strange sensations is just an annoyance.

Kenneth

MNTim

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 02:03:13 pm »
Over the past week I have been experiencing moisture in my left nostril (surgery side) and had fluid come out of my nose but not run down my face.  My past experience with a leak has been a heavy drip or flow.  Can anyone with recurring leaks, after corrective procedures, describe their nasal leak experiences?  I am assuming they vary and don't always flow the same.

Also how promptly was a leak corrected?  I was told that the next step would be a shunt.  Can anyone offer their experiences with leaks,procedures, shunts?

Thanks,
Tim
2/12/11 Lumbar drain

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 03:56:20 pm »
Sounds like it'd be a nice thing to have a home test kit, like a pregnacy test, where you can dip a stick into your runny fluid stuff and if it's CSF it'll turn a certain color. I don't know how they test it in medical facilities, but just having that assurance right there with you at all time instead of always worrying when you get a runny nose would be so much better...just a thought...
PS: I hope you guys will start feeling some normalicy soon!! :)

Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Mark241

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 01:59:50 am »
Hey Tim, sorry I caught your question a little late. I had a LP shunt placed in Jan, then had to have it revised in Feb. So far so good, no leaks, but like others, I really don't know when I can say I am over having leaks. Day by Day
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

MNTim

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 06:15:42 pm »
Jaylogs,

My thoughts exactly!  Twice I have been given a vial to catch the run but also told to refridgerate immediately.  Yeah, that is possible.  I am in sales and drive a lot and have found refridgerators don't fit well in my Ford Fusion. 

You work on the technical side and I will do the marketing and sales.

Tim
2/12/11 Lumbar drain

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 09:46:21 pm »
Hi Tim
I had problems with CSF leaks as well (see signature) and since that last surgery I've had a feeling of my nose running but nothing comes out.
I know it gets wet sometimes because I dab with a tissue but it's a very very small amount.
The blocked feeling mainly comes when I'm laying on my right side and the air is cut off with my face literally drooping down but my glasses sometimes cause the same thing when they're creeping down my nose.

The one thing I will never do is blow it.  I'd be too darn scared that I'd open up the eustacian tube again!

Somewhere on this site a very respected member has said that you can test the fluid with the sticks that diabetics use for glucose.  It couldn't hurt to try it.

Cheers,

♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu

Found this post for you -
I also have the drippy nose on the AN side.  Between the tears running down my face on both sides....my non-AN side seems to sympothize with the AN side sometimes...lol  and the drippy nose, I think I must keep Kimberly-Clark in business.  I have boxes of kleenex in every room and always a a few in my pocket.  My nose drips when I eat and also when I'm active...if I'm bending over for any length of time...such as tying a shoe or digging in a drawer, you can bet I need a kleenex to catch it.

I was so paranoid about a CSF leak last summer, that I actually bought some glucose test strips.  I don't remember what they cost, but the container has probably 100 in it.  It's easy to test...you just catch the drip on the strip and if the strip turns color, then you have a CSF leak.  If not, then you're OK.  It saves running to the doctor all the time.  The strips are the same ones diabetics use to test glucose in their urine. 

I've been lucky...my tests have always been negative.  Hope the rest of you continue to have the same luck.

Pat

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 09:52:58 pm by suujoy »
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12