Author Topic: Abnormal ABR  (Read 3939 times)

SVTCobra

Abnormal ABR
« on: October 07, 2005, 07:23:11 am »
I've recently had an ABR test, of which I was informed on Wednesday that the results were "abnormal" on my left side.  I've had hearing loss on my left side for many years, but now have experienced vision problems and balance issues.  My doctor called me on Wed. and told me I needed an MRI as soon as possible, but he wouldn't lend any hint as to what he thought the problem could be...

My questions is... does anyone know what else could cause an ABR test to come back as abnormal besides an acoustic neuroma?

jw

Re: Abnormal ABR
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 11:18:08 am »
Well, from my inexperienced and non-medical background, it certainly sounds like it could be an AN.  owever, I'm told that other things can cause the same thing - virus, problem with blood-flow in the ear.  The important thing to remember is that if it is an AN, there are a lot of treament options available.  The risks and long-term problems are much less than they were even a few years ago.  Let us know what you find out!
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

russ

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 12:10:56 pm »
Hello
  Menieres Disease can cause an abnormal ABR. Vestibular problems can cause vision problems. Best to have the MRI to be sure however.
  Best wishes to you!   -Russ

SVTCobra

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 12:48:23 pm »
Thanks Russ and JW.

I've had an ECOG test that ruled out Meniere's disease.  I've never heard of vestibular disorders though?

Hopefully, the MRI will tell the tale on Monday.