Author Topic: Good ear is very sensitive to sound  (Read 5305 times)

stein78

Good ear is very sensitive to sound
« on: January 21, 2006, 05:54:26 pm »
Since my surgery in May of last year, my good ear has been very senstive to sound (deaf in the AN ear).  For example, I have to constantly tell my wife to turn the TV down because it always seems like it's too loud.  I turn my cell phone volume all the way down or it just hurts my ear.  At times my good ear actually hurts like it's over worked or tired if that makes sense.  Is it just because my brain is over compinsating because of the loss of hearing in my AN ear?  Will this go away?  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Other than that, I feel great.  :)
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

cookiesecond

Re: Good ear is very sensitive to sound
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 07:22:43 pm »
I do not have any answers but I feel the same way. I have no hearing on my right side but noise still bothers me, especially loud noises and crowds.I hope this gets better with time.
Take care,
Lynn

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 08:01:09 pm »
I agree, I like the phone turned to Low.  I like the TV moderately low, but can't hear it when the AC is running at the same time.  Places full of talkers are not easy.  My perfect hearing in the good ear is very sensitive.  I am torn between adjusting to it and looking at a BAHA.  Not yet ready to even think about the BAHA "procedure".  At 64 I have images of becoming reclusive because I will prefer quiet...Between the rock and the hard place.  Decision time will be after the first year MRI.

matti

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 10:05:46 pm »
Deaf on AN side and my non-AN ear is extremely sensitive to sounds. I can not tolerate the sound of someone chewing or crunching food, it is as if it is being amplified in my good ear (feels like nails on a chalk board). I usually have to turn up the radio/TV or whatever is close by to drown out the sounds. I always have to ask those around me not to talk so loudly. Also the louder the noise around me gets, my tinnitus worsens, like someone is firing up the chainsaw. Never a dull moment!

matti

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

SKT

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 07:50:12 am »
I agree, the louder the noise around you, the louder the tinnitus!!!!  It drives you crazy. 

I am 2 years post op. Deaf on AN side. I found that after surgery, my good ear was over-senistive. However, although I still feel it a little 2 years post op - I feel it is alot better now.  Personally I think alot of it was to do with my fear of damaging my good ear - so I just feared  loud noise. I do still feel loud noise exacerbates tinnitus tremendously, but for me the sensitivity of my good ear has seemed to pan out - maybe it's an adjustment thing - hopefully when your good ear gets used to being on it's own, it will lose the sensitvitiy.  Fingers crossed.

stein78

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 03:14:52 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I am just very paranoid about my good ear!  Sometimes my good ear just aches at the end of the day.  I travel to and from the city of Chicago for work, so noise is just about everywhere.  Hopefully it will get better with time.
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Rc Moser

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 03:37:38 pm »
Mention it to your doctor! See what response you get?  If they don't have it they won't understand and think you are just winney.  IMO that's one of the worse sysmtoms and starts headache's that can turn into migraine's.  When I drive home from work, takes 10 mins, I never get over 50MPH, no radio on, and when I get home my AN ear is roaring! just from the wind noise, takes about hour in total silence for it to go away.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

DFF

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 11:49:11 pm »
I AM PRE SURGERY AND VERY SENSITIVE TO SOUND.  I ONLY JUST RECENTLY (A FEW WEEKS MAYBE A MONTH) BEGAN EXPERIENCING LOUD ROARING WAVES SOUNDS AND SUDDEN DECREASE MUFFLED HEARING.  I WAS DIAGNOSED EARLY NOVEMBER. I HAVE BEEN TELLING MY HUSBAND TO TURN IT DOWN FOR MONTHS AND MONTHS.  THAT EAR HAS BEEN SOAR FOR QUITE AWILE. I AM HOPING SOME OF THIS WILL SUBSIDE AFTER SURGERY.
2.1CM CPA W/BRAIN STEM COMPRESSION
NEAR PERFECT HEARING PRESURG 02/09/2006
HOUSE INSTITUTE DR BRACKMANN

Rc Moser

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2006, 05:35:56 pm »
IMO based on my experiences most likely it won't. I too had the pre-surgery sounds, but IMO these were made from the tumor pressing on the inner ear. After surgery you will probably have the effects of removal. Usually symptoms are as noise around you get louder you AN side will increase in the sound it put out. Some call it ringing, rushing, static, off radio station with volume turned way up. For most of us this seems to be normal side effect. I have found that only total silence will tone it down, especially when you are pre-migraine, migraine or post Migraine, this IMO when you might get the noise sensitivity problems also. Hopefully you will not have this unexplained symptom.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

thecakes

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 04:49:18 pm »
  I can remember before my surgery my AN side, hearing was real sensitive to noise.  It would really make me mad{AND STILL DOES} our homecoming parade, the fire trucks that sound their sirens all at one time.  I would go nuts, hold my ears and run!  Why do they have to do this?  They have all my respect by just driving by.   Oh, I guess thats a parade for you.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 08:06:43 pm »
Realizing that recently, I am also sensitive to sounds.. when I talk on the phone with my AN ear (left), I now have to turn the volume down... and same with right ear. I have to hold the phone away from my ears now... and, to top things off... when I have the "blocked" ear feeling, I think I can hear my heartbeat in my head..... weird.....
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Static

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 03:41:09 pm »
For me, sometimes when the TV is loud I have to have it lowered, but if something else is  going on in the background, I can't hear squat.  Although, as far as my hearing side goes, when I'm in work on a phone call and others around are talking, I really have to turn  up the phone or I can't hear the person I am talking to. It seems to me that my left ear (hearing side) is working to compensate for right (deaf) ear, and picking up sounds from everywhere, even with the phone to my ear.  I had been thinking about a CROS to help me at work but I guess when I'm on the phone that  could  be a problem, never thought of that before.  My doc told me I am not a candidate for a BAHA or anything to help my deaf side, he said you have to have something there to start with and according to him, I  don't  :-\  Anyway, when I called someone to make a n appointment about getting a CROS I also found out that my insurance doesn't cover squat and they start at around $1,300.  Just put  out alot of $ for glasses, dental work and college and senior high school stuff for my kid.  The CROS goes on the back burner for now.  Still have to go out and get an ear plug for a concert I am going to in a few  weeks.  I never thought I'd be going to a concert with a plug in my ear. LOL  Don't want to miss this though, I don't think Billy Joel  will be doing concerts much more after this.  So should I take my husband or oldest daughter (she's 17 and has never been to a concert)?  Ok, so now I am totally  off topic, time to go find that padded room.
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

SKT

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 06:28:22 am »
Static,

Strange that your doc said that BAHA will be of no use to you.  I thought you didn't need a hearing ear for it to assist and that it was in fact designed for people with one sided hearing loss - it works through bone conduction - it's supposed to work so that your skull conducts the sound from your bad side through to your good ear .  I may have the wrong name for the device i'm thinking of.