Author Topic: Nerve Question?  (Read 2731 times)

Micky

Nerve Question?
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:58:49 pm »
Hi all my question is why can’t they graft or put back a nerve when the cut it, I had  perfect hearing before surgery and SSD now, they can do so much in the medical industry why cant they graft acoustic nerves?
Cheers for your time. 
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Nerve Question?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 12:07:07 am »
Micky -

I'm not a doctor, but it is my understanding that the hearing nerve is a very delicate nerve and therefore is easily damaged.  I'm assuming that if it's that hard to damage, it must be equally hard to repair.

On the flip side, facial nerves are easily damaged, but they are a little "heartier" than hearing nerves which means they have the ability to regenerate over time.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:12:13 am »
I think it is a difference between muscle control nerves, like the facial nerve, and sensory nerves, like the hearing nerve or the optic nerve. For the sensory nerves, there are just too many tiny little connections to be made to have much hope of hooking up a graft. For muscle control, the brain can re-learn to use whatever connections get made to regain control of the muscles.

Or something like that.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 08:19:56 am »
I think Steve is probably right. I was told by a neurosurgeon that the sensory nerves are more sensitive than the locomotive nerves. Basically, nerves that receive stimulus and transmit impulses to the brain are more sensitive than those that send info the other direction (out to body parts in the form of commands to do things, like move facial muscles).

Maybe someday stem-cell research will give us back our balance and hearing. That day is probably a long way off.  :(

Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 07:43:16 am »
Hi Micky,
  Another factor is that the blood supply to the hearing aparatus may have been disturbed by treatment.  For hearing to function you need both innervation and a blood supply.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:24:59 am »
My neurosurgon told me that my hearing nerve had been 'squished' by the AN and effectively 'killed'.  However, because I had retrosigmoid approach surgery, it's intact...just not functioning.  At my semi-annual checkups, he still checks the affected ear (my left) to see if I hear anything.  I don't, but he said that I had such good recuperative powers he wouldn't be surprised if the nerve somehow regenerated.  I ask him what the odds were of that happening.  He just smiled and said: "very small".  I'm still SSD.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.