Author Topic: 2nd surgery  (Read 2785 times)

tichinose

2nd surgery
« on: March 27, 2010, 08:23:23 pm »
I was wondering if the second AN surgery is any better than first or do you lose all the progress you have made?  Thx

jerseygirl

Re: 2nd surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 07:19:18 pm »
Hi

Second AN surgery is better than the first for most people. I went through two surgeries, so I asked the same question. My first one was in 1988, so my second one was infinitely better due to the technological advancements. As far as progress is concerned, I am not sure what issue is at stake here but generally, you keep all the gains you made so far. Best of luck to you and hope your treatment (whatever you decide) goes well.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 10:45:20 pm »
Hi there,

Tell us your details - do you have regrowth?, what size etc etc

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

tichinose

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »
Yeah regrowth at 2.7cm x 2.2cm from 1.2cm x 1.8 cm....Neurologist is talking to me about surgery next week

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:37:35 am »
Your call here but going for a second round of surgery is extreme to me. I'd ask the surgeon what success rate % he is likely to achieve in getting rid of it all seeing that he didn't get rid of it all the first time. I's also check out radiiotherapy treatment out. At least get some other opinions. Depending on where you live, I'm sure you'll find some posts on either gamma or cyberknife with the hospital close to you.

Please tell us more about yourself - where you live, age (optional) family, side effects from first op etc. This can all help with recommendations from other posties.

laz
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW

tichinose

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:49:19 am »
Terri...age 50...I had 1st op in July 08....the tumor they left was 1.2cm out of 6cm and now it grew to 2.8cm.  I loss hearing, balance issues, facial palsy but now I have facial numbness, headaches are back, seeing double and have hard time swallowing

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:47:30 pm »
Terri,

Sorry to hear about all your issues. Sounds rather complex set of problems but talk to your surgeon and ask loads of questions like,

What is causing these symptoms
Would another bout of surgery be able to get all the growth out
What are the risks of surgery

Also go and see a team that does raiotherapy treatment and ask whether that option would offer some relief to the symptoms. You need to search the posts here to ask lots and lots of questions for both surgeon and radiotherapy. When asking about statistics of success, don't accept an industry percentage rate, ask what the % rate is for theat surgeon or radiologist

cheers

Laz
Chronologer of the PBW