Author Topic: Use of Acupuncture for facial palsy  (Read 11428 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Use of Acupuncture for facial palsy
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 04:29:38 pm »
Hi Jan,
My ENT surgeon did mention it. But after the AN removal followed by pneumonia followed by a CSF leak followed by more surgery followed by meningitis scare and more misery I'm staying well clear of surgery unless its life or death.

I totally understand that reasoning, Johno.  Just wanted to make sure you knew there were options out there.

I'm still learning the ins and outs - and options - of facial paralysis from the others on this forum.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Johno

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 05:42:45 am »
Thanks Jan,
I will give it go and let everyone know how its going.
I never knew, untill a friend pointed it recently, that Prime Minister Jean Chretien of Candada suffered bells palsy and did very well to hide his one side facial paralysis. His opposers used it in political smear campaigns in 1993 to their own undoing as the voter backlash against the conservatives bought Chretien back to power.
I get people stare and kids ask whats wrong with my face. Have a real aversion to photos. I'm not a rooster that looks at the mirror a lot or worries about my appearance. Having a pirate leer probably helps me fit in with some of the rough diamonds I work with in the mining industry in the outback of Australia.
I'd like to drink a beer without having half of it dribble down my face, give a cheesy grin to a camera and blow a balloon for my kids (which I can't do). Talk to some stranger without them looking back with that "whats wrong with his face" look.
18 months ago I was glad to be out of the woods now it'd be nice to put this behind us as well and drink a beer without looking like I've already had a dozen!
Johno ;D

moe

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 09:18:31 am »

I'd like to drink a beer without having half of it dribble down my face, give a cheesy grin to a camera and blow a balloon for my kids (which I can't do). Talk to some stranger without them looking back with that "whats wrong with his face" look.
18 months ago I was glad to be out of the woods now it'd be nice to put this behind us as well and drink a beer without looking like I've already had a dozen!

Yes I know what you mean!!!!. And we women are so much more aware of our FACE- so that's why I'm determined to get as much function back as possible.
I'm fortunate that I don't have to work full time, (I prefer very part time, and have hubby do the rest :)). So I have more time on my hands to work through all this.

Good luck.
That's why this forum is so great. We know what you're feeling!!!!!! It's good to vent. >:(
Maureen :-\

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Johno

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 09:17:30 am »
Hi Everyone,
I started acupuncture to treat my facial palsy two weeks ago and got my second treatment today.
I've chosen a traditional practitioner. The initial visit was a consultation. I didn’t have to give her a medical briefing. Once I had opened my mouth she knew what was going on. Visible cue help identify blocked channels and flows of energy caused by imbalances and trauma and that’s what she was looking for. Acoustic neuroma meant nothing to this Chinese Lady; she could see where the damage was and knew which points to target. I know nothing about the physiology of acupuncture so I can't tell how placing needles into certain point helps. I got about 30 needles stuck into my right foot, right leg, stomach, right side of the face and behind the right ear as well as both hands and arms. A heat lamp was placed over my abdomen and I drifted off and almost fell asleep. No pain, after about 10 minutes comes a pleasant feeling of warmth they call arrival of Chi. My face twitched a few times as did my right nostril, something that has not happened since before the surgery. The entire experience is not unpleasant.
Since starting two weeks ago I have felt a noticeable difference. I seldom need the eye drops and have felt a return of function. Friends and family have noticed the difference. I started a photo record showing a "smile" on day one and will take another one tomorrow to compare. The only draw back is frequency of treatment and early intervention. If I knew after the surgery what I know now I would have started this straight away and gone every week till full function returned. Leaving it for 18 months reduces the chance of full recovery. Fortunately the Medic at work is qualified in traditional Chinese medicine and is getting the points from my practitioner so he can treat me while I am at work on a remote mine site.
I'll say one thing about acupuncture: I'm convinced it works. The restored function and sensation felt in the face is one thing. I get involuntary movement on the right side of my nose now which never occurred before. Like the nerve is waking up at last or coming back to life. I can actually get my mouth around an apple which I couldn’t do last month.
Then there’s the psychological affect. I feel ready for a nap after the session this morning but was soon feeling fully charged. Mood had changed. I was running late before hand and felt stressed but left the session feeling pretty good. So obviously a psychological side effect as well.
It’s definitely worth a try. Study up and find a reputable practitioner. Rule of thumb: Chinese Medicine is based around healing. In China, doctors are only paid when there is improvement or when the patient is cured. Our style of medicine relies on the sick to stay sick so Doctors and health professionals can turn a buck. I paid hundreds of dollars to Chiropractics to treat a back condition which my British ex-Army mate at work sorted in three sessions of acupuncture and some home style advice for no cost. The Chinese healer treating me almost forgot to charge today but was thrilled I was getting quick results. If you see an acupuncturist and they start going money mad at you, they are probably not being true to their art.
Best Regards
John

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 11:00:01 am »
I have some interesting links that my daughter foun. I will post it when I am home. Michelle
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

moe

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 06:45:13 pm »
Wow, John that is GREAT news!
I had the nerve transposition (12/7) to jump start the face nerve which was completely cut, and am only seeing partial results. I'm wondering if acupuncture would work for my condition.
I go see the surgeon in July, so he will give me advice about what to do next, but I'll ask him about acupuncture. (I'm pretty sure he'll poo poo the idea).
Thanks for all the info and your experience in the acupuncture session. And how to look for a reputable practitioner. That' s a must. How did you find your traditional practitioner, BTW?
Anyway, Sounds like a trip- I would love some  CHI experience :)
Glad to hear you are doing better.
Maureen

mar50

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 06:41:59 pm »
Just wanted to say that I'm so happy to hear you are having positive results all around!!!!

Please keep us posted as to your progress!!! :)

Johno

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 03:40:20 am »
Will keep you posted on updates.
I got put onto my acupuncturist by a friend who practices acunpuncture.
I'd shop around to find the right one for you and check to see if they are accredited and licensed. Fortunately the one I'm using is also on the Private Health Insurers list which means I can claim back a lot of the cost. Over here the treatment is'nt expensive but it's good to see the insurers view it as valid treatment.
Cheers
John

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 05:39:49 am »
John -

thanks for the update; it's wonderful to hear of your successful acupuncture treatments.

It sounds like things are working out well for you - and that's always something great to hear  ;D

Keep in touch,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 10:02:32 am »
Johno

I know you are dealing with dry eye… and you have, quite understandably, had it with surgeries.

Might I suggest you ask your doctor to order you a blink-eze stick-on eye weight? It did wonders for me. I don’t wear it now but on days I am exhausted or it is very arid I stick it back on. When I wear it I actually do not need any drops.

Here is the PDF file link about it.

http://www.fci-ophthalmics.com/files/pdf/blinkeze.pdf

It will instantly make your eye go down and you will be able to blink. At first it is fiddly to know how to put it on- but with practice... it is no more difficult than putting in contact lenses.

Also by wearing the blink eze you will eliminate the abnormal movement of pulling up the cheek in attempts to close the eye. Some days I wonder if this abnormal movement in attempts to close the eye- caused my synkenisis.

You want to do everything possible to blink and to keep the cornea well hydrated. I paid $250 for mine others got theirs as low as $82 … it will depend on what you eye doctor charges and what your insurance pays. Trust me this little gizmo was well worth it.

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

elderbirds

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 08:27:43 pm »
glad to hear of you sucess with acupuncture.  I will definately look into it.  I am 13 months post op, have made good recovery but  starting with some synkensis.  I don't want anymore "procdures" either, and looking at non-invasive options.  thanks for sharing you story.
Hope

Johno

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 06:28:56 am »
Thanks guys for the wishes and advice.
I just discovered 5 minutes ago that I can now wink my right eye independantly which could not beforehand not close unless I also closed my left eyelid. I just tried it and it worked. Every day I am noticing improvements and that is after two sessions of acupuncture.
Like a buddy of mine said, if its been around for 5000 years it must be worth something.
Cheers
Johno

moe

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 10:04:36 pm »
More good news! I know CROOKEDSMILE was asking about acupuncture.
She should go for it.
Almost sounds like a new lease on the life of your face!
Hope to hear more good news and progression.
Maureen

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 08:41:48 am »
I haven't read through any of the other posts on this thread, but my ex had Bells Palsy and was pretty much given a "we can't do anything" diagnosis from western medicine. He went to an acupuncturist and had EXCELLENT results. We also have a friend who had Bells Palsy, went to the same acupuncturist and also had very good results. The only thing that bothers them both now is extreme heat or cold weather.

Good luck,
Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 11:56:20 am »

I just discovered 5 minutes ago that I can now wink my right eye independantly which could not beforehand not close unless I also closed my left eyelid. I just tried it and it worked. Every day I am noticing improvements and that is after two sessions of acupuncture.

Johno

WHOPPEE!!! :) ;D Yahoo!!!

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!