Author Topic: Use of Acupuncture for facial palsy  (Read 11427 times)

Johno

Use of Acupuncture for facial palsy
« on: April 17, 2009, 01:49:28 am »
Hi,
Its been months since I have been on this board and now I'm back because its a good place to get advice and questions answered.
I had a 5cm AN removed in late 2007 and have pretty much recovered 100% from it.
The only remaining issue is almost total loss of facial movement on the right side. The nerve was kept intact but badly bruised and stretched. I had a follow up MRI early this year and was given the all clear. On discussion with my GP and Surgeon I was told that the facial nerve might take years to repair if at all and went so far as to recommend cosmetic surgery. I'm not fussed with the Pirate Leer but I'm over having a perpetually dry and sore right eye from not being able to blink fully. It would also be nice to have some symmetry back.
A friend of mine at work is a qualified practitioner of traditional Chinese medicine and told me acupuncture is used on stroke victims to alleviate facial palsy. I checked the literature and sure enough it is used with high success rate to address internal imbalances causing bells palsy and stroke palsy. I could find nothing on treatment of facial nerve damaged during AN removal. Being a form of trauma I'm not too sure if acupuncture may help, neither is my friend.
Has anyone here tried acupuncture post AN removal to repair damage to facial nerve and restore function and movement? If so I would love to hear from you.
Cheers
Johno

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Use of Acupuncture for facial palsy
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 05:18:04 am »
Johno,
I am just nine days post-op and have your same concerns.  Probably, being female, I am little more worried about the pirate leer.
I was told that I had good facial nerve response immediately post-op, but the next morning and hence no movement on right side.
The eye issues and facial muscle function issues are annoying to me, the asymmetry to everyone else.
The surgeons anticipate full recovery.  I am not so sure.
I just want to be on this thread for any updates.
Sorry to not be of assistance, but thank you for posting the question.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 05:20:32 am »
gloria on the site used acupuncture she looks great, i had a 5cm AN removed over 2 years ago , and i am just seeing big changes now so hang on in there.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:50:50 am »
Johno,     Are you keeping some good heavy type eye drops in and a heavier gel at night?     There should be little soreness if keep it lubricated well.                You may well be but we like to keep everyone reminded of the importance of it.
                                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 07:00:23 am »
Nancy, hang in there with the face.     The odds are you will be having improvement in the face.        I was 3 1/2 mos with my 2001 surgery to get improvement.      The facial muscles will work once the nerve heals.       That takes time.     Facial muscles are not like regular muscles and will not atrophy from non use.                   The facial therapist who will speak at the symposium in most cases wants to wait till a year past surgery to see a person and one has a better idea of how the nerve is doing.           It is frustrating to want it back right now and poor face doesn't quite get it.   LOL!           
           You have done very well so far!          Oh and once you are off the steroids you may still take some time to come off the effects.       I remember even with just hospital IV ones I had some sleep problems for a while once home.
                                                                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 07:56:05 am »
Cheryl,
Thanks for the sigh of relief.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 08:34:38 am »
Johno:

Welcome back!  Congratulations on your recovery, although I can readily understand your desire to alleviate your remaining facial complications.  Who wouldn't?  I'm not a doctor and have no experience with acupuncture but unless it has some harmful side-effect or could possibly damage the facial nerves, I see no reason not to pursue this avenue of healing.  I suggest checking with your surgeon first, but, aside from the common medical community disdain for 'alternative' methods of treatment for conditions they cannot repair, acupuncture appears to be a viable method of attempting to bring your face back to it's normal function.  In short: it's worth a shot.  Of course, this is simply a personal opinion.  If you do try it, I hope it works for you.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 10:17:31 am »
I just had my 3rd accupuncture session yesterday to treat my paralysis from having my facial nerve cut and grafted.  I'm seeing improvements already--my eye is closing easier, it's easier to chew on my bad side and my mouth is now level.  I just had surgery in november 08, and was seeing some improvement, but it wasn't fast enough to suit me.  I love the tingles I get while the needles are in and for a few hours after.  Makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.  <grin>

As a bonus, my BAHA site that wouldn't heal, is now healed.  :-)

Vonda

TP

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:57:18 am »
That is wonderful news that acupuncture is helping, please if anyone else is having success, please share. The last two days I have been waking up with pain in my face and head aches-haven't had headaches in the past. My paralysis seems different this week and I can't really tell what is going on. I am almost three years since my surgery and really want to do something to help the pain I experience from paralysis not to mention not having a normal smile. 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Johno

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 06:10:29 pm »
Thanks everyone for the replies and feedback. I have done a search on this site and found a few references to use of acupuncture and all of them sound positive. I've used acupuncture for lower back pain and found it helped. I will definately give it a go for facial paralysis and keep this site informed as to my progress.
 :)

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 09:32:48 pm »
well my facial tick is on rt side. same as AN was. i have talked with 2 Dr.s about a small botox injection to life my skin and muscles UP about 1/4 to 1/2 inch since it affects my breathing and my rt eye.

the rt eye cant wink. doesn't blink like my normal eye and as such is out of focus most times.

Botox could tighten up all this for 3 to 6 months im told.

10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 10:17:18 pm »
Johno -

I'm with Jim - you'll never know until you try - and Vonda's success just cements my answer.  Go for it and see what happens.

And, please, report back to the forum as this will be very helpful for others in your situation.

Mind if I ask, have you considered any type of surgery - like T3 or 7/12 jump?  I know that surgery of any kind is a big decision, but those on the forum who've had these surgeries have gotten very good results.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Johno

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 06:44:53 am »
Hi Jan,
My ENT surgeon did mention it. But after the AN removal followed by pneumonia followed by a CSF leak followed by more surgery followed by meningitis scare and more misery I'm staying well clear of surgery unless its life or death.
I've read in journals about AN getting treated using traditional chinese medicine with hearing restored. I'm not peddling it or saying dismiss western methods. I think in my case with a 5cm tumour pressing on the brain stem my only option was surgery at the time. Now I'm 18 months post op, I avoid photos and social gatherings not to mention the headaches and dull ache during humid weather and constant eye soreness. Surgeons will tell me they can fix it with surgery, a chinese healer will tell me he can heal it with a round of acupuncture and herbs. If its the same outcome  with near equal odds of success I'll pick the non-invasive treatment anytime.
My thoughts only. Jim is absolutely right, whatever treatment you choose always do the research and speak to your Doctor,
Kind Regards
Johno
 :)

moe

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 09:23:21 am »
Hi Johno,
I say go for the acupuncture. Less invasive, no surgery. If that doesn't work, there's always Electrical Stimulation or surgery.
I had face nerve cut during surgery to get AN completely out. So yea, I know- dealing with the pirate face, not being able to close my eye. Left side of my mouth won't budge.

I DO have the weight in the left eye lid  to help shut it. Do you have a weight in your eyelid?

I had a nerve transposition surgery 15 months ago with just some results, not enough. (I believe the window time for that surgery is -18 months post brain surgery.) They  go in under the jaw. No brain surgery. Easy to recuperate too, but mine did take 6 hours. It is the 12/7. They take part of the tongue nerve (12) and graft it to your face nerve (7).

Lori had good results with that surgery.
Good luck with what you decide. Keep us informed :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mar50

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 03:48:24 pm »
hi johno  and (everyone else) - i am 2.5 yrs post surgery and GK for removal of a large AN and cyst.  I don't often post or even visit the boards anymore, but I happened to see your post and wanted to weigh in with my experience.  I think I may have posted this before, so you may have found something I've posted about this before, but anyways.....about 6 months after GK, I felt like I was still having a really hard time, mostly due to some extra courses of Decadron (steroid) that i had to take.  A friend who used acupuncture for infertility suggested I go to her acupuncturist, so I did.  2 years later I still go once a month.  My insurance doesn't pay, and we've been through some unemployment in my household recently, so I reevaluate whether or not I should go every month (it's $60 a pop), and so far I've felt very strongly that it's worth it.  I was still recovering from some swelling around my facial nerve from GK when I first had treatment, but after two rounds (I think I went once a week for about the first month) I had a dream I could wink my AN side eye independent of the other side, and when I woke up, I could.  I am not saying this was directly related to the acupuncture, it very well could have been the normal passing of time, and I certainly don't hold it out to be the magical cure, but, who knows.  In any case, I look forward to my monthly session, if for nothing else, the relaxation.  I am a pretty cynical person, and I am very much a true supporter of acupuncture.  I still have reduced movement, but it was improved much over the last two years, as my surgeon assured me it would.  Hang in there.  I know it's a tough road  :)  Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it any further.