Author Topic: Drippy nose anyone?  (Read 24474 times)

anissa

• My Journey
Drippy nose anyone?
« on: March 29, 2009, 03:02:41 pm »
I have had a drippy nose for several years now and I have no idea what to blame that on.  Now that I have something "officially" wrong with me I have to wonder if the drippy nose has anything to do with the AN.  It could just be some kind of a sinus issue but wouldn't they have seen that on the MRI?  Like a blocked sinus in my forehead or something?  Anyway, I say it is drippy because it just drips out and not something I can sniffle back, know what I mean?  After I met with the neurotologist they asked me to collect a sample to test it for CSF but it luckily came back negative.  Anyone?
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Re: Drippy nose anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:08:16 pm »
Hi Anissa,
If it came back negative, then you are okay.  If it was a CSF leak, it would leak out only on one side, and mostly when you were bent over.  Can't say I know what you are dealing with, though!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 07:25:38 pm »
anissa,
  Is the drippy nose only on one side, the AN side?  If so, it's possible that it could be due to the AN compromising the facial nerve.  Some patients on the forum have reported various facial post treatment affects.  I stil have some slight facial nerve effects.  Whenever I eat flavorful food, my AN side eye will tear up and my AN side nostril will get a bit drippy.  The explaination has been that when the facial nerve is damaged and repairs itself, some of the nerve connections can become cross-connected.
 If your nose gets drippy on both sides, then my guess would be that the AN is not involved.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:16:28 pm by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 04:08:43 pm »
Dunno if this is AN-related or not, but in the year leading up to diagnosis/surgery, I had 4 or so sinus infections.  Since surgery, I haven't had so much of a stopped up nose.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

lori67

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 04:49:17 pm »
Could it be allergies?  My nose runs constantly depending on what's in bloom outside.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 05:47:13 pm »
Oh, honey, welcome to the club.  I have a drippy nose and it's mostly from the AN side.  It's very annoying.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 05:27:44 am »
I'm with Lori my allergies are starting to act up already -- guess Spring is here.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 09:00:33 am »

I too always get a "wet" nose when I eat a good steak or something instead of my mouth watering .... nerves have shorted out !  there is never any amount to blow ... but when I use a napkin to wipe my mouth , I try to wipe my nose too and not make it obvoius if there are people eating with me ....  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

southjersey636

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 08:18:18 pm »

I too always get a "wet" nose when I eat a good steak or something instead of my mouth watering .... nerves have shorted out !  there is never any amount to blow ... but when I use a napkin to wipe my mouth , I try to wipe my nose too and not make it obvoius if there are people eating with me ....  ;)

Just made me laugh reading your response because I do the same exact damn thing when eating out in a restaurant or somewhere around people. I tend to wipe my mouth and then my nose very quick so it looks like I am wiping my mouth. I also get a runnny nose when its hot food etc..

This runny nose thing was talked about before on another topic but from what I remember reading and what I just read from you its a common symptom, its annoying at times but oh well, I'm glad I'm alive.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 10:10:52 pm »
I'm so glad I'm not the only one!  It has been so irritating/inconvenient for so long but there is some weird sense of peace knowing that its a symptom.  I'm secretly hoping (with not any real expectations) that it will quit after my surgery.  I can hope, right?!  BTW, I do the same thing with my napkin, lol.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

satman

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 06:26:11 am »
count me in,been there done that.
still waiting on the t-shirt.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 06:30:18 am »
I only developed a drippy nose after surgery, and for some reason, it's on the opposite side of the AN.  Luckily, mine doesn't do it when I'm eating, but rather after exercise such as walking.  I'm guessing mine is unrelated to the surgery, perhaps just alergies as our oak trees are just passing their peak pollen season.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

lori67

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 09:00:21 am »
Ernie,

Mine does the same thing - opposite side of the AN and whenever I exercise.  I have to bring a box of tissues with me on the treadmill.  I'm sure everyone else there thinks I'm getting my germs all over everything, but I'm not sick - just drippy!  And springtime allergies don't help matters!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 09:24:13 am »
Ernie~
Mine is also when I am "exerting energy" or bending over.  Anytime I walk, run, eliptical, etc., it is BAD and also when I am gardening (pulling weeds) or putting Christmas lights around the yard - anything bending over!  Mine is ALL on the same side as the AN though!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 09:43:30 am »

Bending over? sounds like a CSF leak ...  I assume you've been tested right?  its been a long time since your surgery....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital