Author Topic: Exposure to Toxins?  (Read 1924 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Exposure to Toxins?
« on: December 05, 2008, 08:10:55 pm »
Okay I am going to throw this out there into cyber world and stir the pot.

When I was diagnosed (April 2008) I tried hard to go back in time and think things through. I showed symptoms as early as 1999. My lips became numb when I increased my heart rate. I went to see an internist and nothing was found. I know that I started as a hairdresser in 1995 working in a small small environment applying lots of haircolours until May 2008. I have taught kindergarten for the last two years and my only fear is that they will make me deaf... hey scrap that I am already deaf in one ear.  :P

In my heart I am convinced that there is a correlation between my exposure to toxic hair colour and my tumour. Saying that I am not trying to imply that if you have your hair coloured that you may get a tumour. I am saying that as a hairdresser I applied at least six colours a day with little/no ventilation and feel this is how my tumour orginated. There was a survey that a Dr. was doing to document the findings of hairdressers using haircolour and ANs but I can't seem to find it right now... I need to go and look for it again.

Yes, I know no one knows what causes an AN. My question to you is are there others who had some type of occupational exposure to toxins? I ruled out the cell phone theory considering I talk on the right and my AN was on my left.

Hmmmm.
Michelle
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:13:52 pm by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Kit W

• Smokies Spring 2008
Re: Exposure to Toxins?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:02:37 pm »
mimoore,

I used to be qualified to transport hazardous chemicals as solids, powders or liquids. I did this type of work for two years straight. I must add though that I am from England where I was a professionally trained LGV 1 (very large truck) driver. I now live in GA with my American wife and no longer do that type of work. (We run our own business from home).

My AN was 5cm+ in size. It must have been growing over a number of years and started, I'm guessing, long before I got anywhere near hazardous chemicals. I hasten to add that the training for such work is very thorough and taught me how to handle the goods safely. At no time did I ever feel at risk of acquiring some strange disease or tumour.

I have heard that some hairdresser's can get skin problems due to the chemicals use in hair treatments but have not heard of anything more serious. Certainly not tumours.

Kit
Don't let jealousy get a hold of you. If it does it will ruin the rest of your life.

My mind often wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
Do I look like I care!

5cm+ AN removed 9/11/08. Dr Tairq Javed. Kennestone Hospital, Marietta, GA

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:06:02 pm »
Michelle~
I was only 25 and had NEVER even remotely been exposed to anything that could be considered "hazardous" - except for growing up breathing the air of all the cattle feedlots around here!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 09:00:56 am »
Michelle,
I've never heard of this eithe and have not had prolonged exposure to toxic chemicals.  .  I'm just curious though, I have read that there could be a correlation between ANs and head injury and I have had two concussions, both on the right side and my AN was on my right side.  I guess there could be a connection there.  How about you?

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 04:48:09 pm »
Michelle:

I'm beginning to think that we can blame almost anything we want for the development of an acoustic neuroma precisely because no one, including doctors and scientific researchers, really knows the actual cause, if one exists.  For what it may be worth, I suspect that the genesis of a vestibular schwannoma may not be related to external influences at all, whether they be cell phones, power lines, exposure to toxins, head injuries or what-have-you.  However, because I can't disprove any particular theory, I'll acquiesce to the possibility that your hypothesis may be correct. 

However, just as many AN patients have never used a cell phone or, like you, used it primarily in the non-AN-affected ear, many of us have never been exposed to hair dye on a regular basis so that theory is not valid when applied to those not in the hair stylist business.  I suppose we can all find some possible link between our specific environment and the development of our AN.  That might be interesting but would present us with thousands of different 'suspects' and many of them would be non-applicable to other AN patients, making the whole business rather frustrating.

Still, I'm as curious as the next AN patient to know why I developed my tumor.  That being the case, I have no objection to any other AN patient seeking answers, even if they may not apply to me or others.  I just don't choose to take every suggestion - especially the unproven cell phone 'connection' - all that seriously without some sort of scientific basis for the conclusion, besides other folks 'feelings'  But even so, I encourage you to try and follow your theory regarding hair dye and AN development to see where it leads.  I don't have a competing theory and for all I know, you might be on to something. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 07:35:06 pm »
Yeah, what Jim said!   :D

I don't subscribe to an exterior "thing" causing our AN's either.  I do think it's one of those things that happen when something in our DNA decides to go berserk. Something turns "off" or "on" depending on how  you look at it and then the schwann cells, bless their little hearts, decide to throw a party and invite all their schwann friends to join them.  If hair dye or some other toxin causes these things to start, then why wouldn't it affect both sides or other things inside the head.  But, stranger things have happened, so ???   But there are many, many people who have this who have not messed with hair dye. 

My uncle would blame "chem trails".  Just google that and you will see that you can blame just about everything on that!  No amount of reasoning will convince my uncle that chem trails are not a government conspiracy.  It makes me feel bad that he is going to die (as he is not a well man) and he will die thinking his own government is trying to kill him.  NOT THAT I AM PUTTING YOU, MICHELLE, INTO THIS CATAGORY!! ;) ;D  I don't mean THAT at all.  Better watch it here, or you'll think I'm thinking you have a conspiracy theory in the works.  NO.  NADA.

Anyway, my thinking is that you shouldn't blame this AN on anything that you did or didn't do.  It's not your fault. 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 11:27:31 am »
I still believe in my original theory that AN's (like sh*t) happen.

It's my belief that it's nothing we did, nothing we could have prevented.  It just was.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 06:18:23 pm »
I definitely qualify for the "exposed to toxins" category.  I grew up on a farm that grows cotton, rice, and soybeans (and now corn), and have worked out in the fields since 1996.  I have always been careful about re-entry times and all that, but it just can't be avoided 100%.  We were actually just talking about this the other day, as I personally know 2 people from this area who currently have brain tumors, and 3 more who have had benign or cancerous brain tumors.  I only know of one other AN from this area.  Plus the multitudes who have had some type of cancer.  Kind of makes me want to quit and move my kids someplace else.   :-\

Vonda

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 06:20:55 pm »
Michelle,
I've never heard of this eithe and have not had prolonged exposure to toxic chemicals.  .  I'm just curious though, I have read that there could be a correlation between ANs and head injury and I have had two concussions, both on the right side and my AN was on my right side.  I guess there could be a connection there.  How about you?

Wendy

Ok, yeah, I qualify for that one too.  LOL  Horses can be rough on you...

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 06:49:01 pm »
But Vonda, where would you go?  If I canvassed the greater Portland-Vancouver area there are many cancer patients of all kinds. Many have never stepped foot on a farm.  Obviously, toxins aren't good for us and contribute to many ill effects, but you are going to have a hard time proving that it caused or contributed to your AN.  I doubt the percentage of farm workers with Acoustic Neuroma is greater than in the general population.  But, I don't know that for a fact, I will admit.

My only point in this discussion is trying to keep people from thinking that it was their fault somehow that this has happened.  We try to assign blame for everything and I hate to see people starting to think that it was something in their lifestyle that caused this to happen to them, and then putting blame on themselves.  We don't need any more stress by adding guilt into the equation.  I look at my life and I don't have any idea what I could have done that would cause me to have an AN.  I didn't live on a farm, I did use hair color but not the heavy duty stuff and not for extended periods of time, I didn't use cell phones, I used chemicals on roses for a couple of years, I had normal stress of family life, and as far as I can tell I'm about as average a person as you can get in the USA.  I can feel guilt for just about everything in this world, believe me, and I feel that I have done nothing to cause this thing to happen to me.  Except just being me, the unlucky recipient of "cells gone wild". 

Your girls are probably better off in a rural community than anywhere else in the US!  At least I hope so....

Hang in there,

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode