Author Topic: I can't control the tumor but I can control what I pack for the hospital....  (Read 6054 times)

Tamara

Yes, the sunglasses are a MUST.  Almost forgot the other essentials to good rest (though it may be mentioned in the other threads) - earplugs (for both ears if you're lucky, or your remaining ear otherwise), and a sleeping mask for your eyes.  If you can't put the elastic around your head because of the incision (though I managed to find positions where it didn't hurt), you can always tape it on with paper medical tape, which the hospital should be able to give to you.  I was right outside the nursing station, and there was a tube system that would sort of chime "Ding, Ding, Ding" like the first three notes of "Mary had a Little Lamb" CONSTANTLY.  There were some times in the day that I used the earplug just because that was making me crazy.  Both of these items allowed me to sleep when I otherwise probably couldn't have. 

Regarding eyeglasses - I was able to slide the temple under my "bonnet".  I did, however, bring along a large safety pin that I thought I could pin to the outside of the bonnet and then slide the temple through to hold.  The staff thought that was a good idea, even though I didn't have to use it.

Back to sleep - I had luck with telling the staff that I wanted to be left to sleep and not bothered.  They let me sleep until 8:30 one morning - amazing!  One other night I mentioned that I was as likely to still be alive at 6 am as I was at 4 am, and they left me alone.  Be proactive and see what happens.

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!

Back to sleep - I had luck with telling the staff that I wanted to be left to sleep and not bothered.  They let me sleep until 8:30 one morning - amazing!  One other night I mentioned that I was as likely to still be alive at 6 am as I was at 4 am, and they left me alone.  Be proactive and see what happens.

Tammy -

great ideas for the sleep, but how did you get your docs to go with this?  My neurosurgeon arrived daily at 6:45 a.m. or earlier (even on the weekend) and although I love the man I couldn't convince him to stop by later in the day.  My neurotologist stopped by daily also, but usually not quite as early as my neurosurgeon.  One day he came by while I was sleeping and didn't wake me up - he returned later in the day - which I thought was just amazing for a doctor.  Bless him!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JulieE

Marci,
    I'm 3.5 months post-op for a similar size tumor, and I can say your attitude is a good one!  Positive outlook is quite crucial in recovery, and it's what they attribute my fairly quick recovery to.  Being a runner is also a plus as you go in - just don't expect to be running again quickly (in both senses of the word) and allow yourself time to heal.  My advice about what to bring:  I didn't use anything I brought, and catching up on reading and "Thank You" cards was just a fantasy. I can say eating was a priority because I couldn't/unappealing.  Organic applesauce was a lifesaver, prune juice, banannas, ect. Also if you have a favorite pillow...Contoured, down, latex, etc., bring it beacause the hospital's are funny textured and noisy if that makes sense.   
   Anyway, you'll do great!  You have two teams, both on the same side against one (benign) tumor.  The first is your Doctors, the second is you and your family.  You guys are going to win, and I'll be praying all day Tuesday to that end!
All the Best,
Jules

calimama

I didnt use much (or bring much), but for sure REALLY needed chapstick and slippers!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Hi, Marci:

Apparently I'm very late to this thread but it probably doesn't matter because I only brought a robe and slippers to the hospital - and that worked out just fine.  I did wear the sneakers I had on when admitted for a better 'grip' when I started walking the halls  in order to prove to the PT nurse that my balance was 'functional'.  Other than that, I needed nothing that I can recall, not even lip balm. 

It may be a gender thing but I believe many patients over-pack for the hospital and never use a lot of what they bring.  Of course the hospital stay may just be a good excuse to shop but still, I wouldn't take too much because you'll be sleeping a good deal of the time and I doubt the doctors, nurses and orderlies really care very much about how you look, post-op.  Of course, I could be wrong and they may spend all their free time talking about the appearance of their patients and what the patient brought to the hospital....but I doubt it.  ;)

Jim
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 01:34:39 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Yes Jim, I realize that my pink and green jammies may never get used.  And who knows what the nurses talk about?   ;D
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kathleen5306

Since Marci is asking all the same questions I am, here is one more for all of you.  How about our hair?  How much will they shave off for translab?  What can you do with what is left it to look presentable in the weeks and months that follow?  Is there a particular new haircut style that helps swoop over the area in the months of growing out?  Again, important stuff to know when there is so much we cannot control!

Kathleen
Right side AN 19 x 9 x 8 treated CK 2002
Stanford Dr. Chang and Dr. Gibbs
Total hearing loss and tinnitus
Tumor has grown since CK treatment
Measures 20 x 13 x 14 June 2008
Translab Surgery HEI 7/30/2008
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz

Pembo

Chapstick.....and be forewarned, the docs make their rounds at 6 am! I didn't need much else. I did have one thing from each of my kids for luck. Tell your husband to bring lots of money and lots of reading material. Hopefully your surgery will be short. My dh got to know the hospital and surrounding areas quite well during my 20 hour marathon.....
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Tamara

Regarding the hair shave for translab - my doctors took off maybe a 2 inch wide swath just over and behind my ear.  Once my hair was washed and down and styled, and of course the bonnet was off, no one could tell.  If your hair is longish, I'd just suggest leaving it.

Jan -
  My doctors were on the pm shift, I guess.  I never saw them until the afternoon.  It was the "vital statistic" people I had to shoo away...

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
It may be a gender thing but I believe many patients over-pack for the hospital and never use a lot of what they bring. 

Jim -

I don't think it's a gender thing.  I was very guilty of this  ::)  I even brought lots of reading material because I planned to do lots of reading post op.  But my double-vision pretty much changed that whole idea; I found I couldn't watch TV, much less read.  Sleeping was my biggest activity - and after a point, walking.

Pembo -

sounds like our docs were on the same early morning shift.  If I ever have to have surgery again, I'm going to request docs who work the pm shift like Tammy's   ;)

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Kathleen - I also had translab and they only shaved about an inch of hair right behind my ear.  My hair is shoulder length and my surgeon said that I definitely should leave it that length.  He was right, because right from the first week if I wore my hair down, you couldn't see a thing (and I have very fine, thin hair).  Now, at nearly three months post op, even when I wear my hair in a ponytail, the incision really isn't noticable. 

I think each surgeon has his own preferred "cut", and it probalby pays to ask yours how much they typically shave.  You can see sme pictures of my incision on my blog if you are interested.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Melissa778

Chapstick and hard candies were a must for me.....the candies kept my mouth moist and helped the nausea that I had.  I loved havign my own jammies and slippers.....I always feel more comfie in my own clothes :)  Other than toiletries that is all I packed.  I did tkae my own pilllow too, another comfort item from home :)

I also have fine thin hair and they did a very nice job "cutting" my hair....I think my co-workers expected to see a "scarier" looking mehen I came back to work, but you'd never knowhat I had brain surgery because my hairs falls right over my incision.  My hair is however uneven now....longer on my non-AN side because I had layers....I go for a spa day Friday to get that fixed :)  It's not noticebale to those who dont' know me, but my sister in law laughs at my uneven hair every time she sees me :)

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Jim -

I don't think it's a gender thing.  I was very guilty of this  ::)  I even brought lots of reading material because I planned to do lots of reading post op.  But my double-vision pretty much changed that whole idea; I found I couldn't watch TV, much less read.  Sleeping was my biggest activity - and after a point, walking.

Jan: 

I'm a vociferous reader and brought lots of reading material to the hospital.  Like you, I suffered with some temporary double-vision in the days immediately following my surgery, making reading difficult.  Being the stubborn type, I fought it (focus eyes, FOCUS, dammit!) and read anyway - for short bursts (15 minutes).  I also watched some TV but the programming was usually both limited and generally awful so I ignored the TV most of the time.  I also slept more than I have since I was a baby.  Once I felt better, (3rd & 4th day) I was getting antsy and walking the halls a lot as well as sitting up in a chair for hours, chatting with my ever-present wife, which impressed my doctor to no end.  I guess he's easily impressed.  ;)  By Day 5 I was ready to leave and since my surgeon was away at some symposium, his practice partner (also a neurosurgeon) happily approved my discharge after I had talked the skeptical PT nurses into letting me go home.  Things just got steadily better from that point on as my double vision disappeared and my balance slowly but steadily improved, with some practice.  I assume you had a similar experience.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Jim -

parts of my experience were similar - double vision for a few days, steady improvement once I was discharged, limited desire to watch the crap on TV.   But some parts were not similar at all - specifically ever-present spouse and the willpower to read.  You definitely surpass me on both those counts - although I'll admit to being downright stubborn!  :D 

I'm impressed with your wife's attentiveness also.   She should get extra credit in the supportive spouse category - she sounds like an amazing woman.  It's so great to hear there are happily married people these days; I, myself, am a skeptic  :(

Jan