Author Topic: SSD equals handicap license tag?  (Read 6115 times)

chocolatetruffle

SSD equals handicap license tag?
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:12:48 pm »
i was at the mall over the weekend, circling around endlessly for a parking space.  a thought hit me - being SSD, can i qualify for a handicap license tag?? ;D

p/s i live in california
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Sam Rush

Re: SSD equals handicap license tag?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:55:11 pm »
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    However, if you are frequently moderately dizzy, like many AN's then you would legitimitely qualify. One of my favorite hobbies is writing handicap tickets .........$375 in California.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Patch

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 03:17:46 am »
Sam,

Thats one of my pet pees, our fine for that is $ 500.00

Mark
Radiation 7/07 for 17mm AN, Had my 2 year MRI 07/09, An now 13mm.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 05:01:08 am »
Ours is $250, but that doesn't seem to make a difference to the many people who park in the spots illegally!
Go get'em Sam!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 05:44:58 am »
Granted I listed 2 diagnosis on my HC placard application, one being my AN (no SSD but between the 2, the lack of balance and overall unsteadiness was noted by my dr), I was able to obtain mine.  My understanding, at least for the state of Mass, was that if you aren't able to walk a certain distance (I forget how far as its been a while since I applied for mine) in a general safe manner, leg usage (or lack thereof) was key for the placard.  Not sure about the state of CA......

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:16:02 am »
I have one but only use this if it's dark out.  Walking is good therapy for all of us AN or not, but if you really have difficulty walking from afar in parking lot, probably would be good you get one.  I wonder how you do in the mall?
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 08:02:36 am »
I have SSD and never even thought about applying for a 'handicapped'' license plate.  My diminished hearing doesn't affect my ability to walk, which, I believe, is the criteria for obtaining a handicapped plate or permit.  .

Full Disclosure:  Our family car has a permanent 'Handicapped' plate but that is assigned to my wife, who often needs to avoid unnecessary walking, as she suffers from fibromyalgia and more importantly, has had extensive spinal and foot surgery.  Walking any real distance is painful and basically impossible for her.  However, I never park in 'Handicapped' spaces unless she is with me, as using the plate with only myself in the car is both illegal and dishonest.  Besides, I don't mind a little walk, unless its raining or very cold, which is not usually the case. 

Jim
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 08:22:05 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 06:07:48 pm »
well, thanks for the responses............ at least i tried   ;)

sam rush, i am sure you got other ticket writing hobbies, hope i don't see you on the road  ;D
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Sam Rush

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 07:28:19 pm »
Nope. Handicap's are my favorite, especially when the perps are still in the car. I love their excuses, and accept none of them.!!!

Where in California are you??  We had the same outstanding doctors, as many others have had on this forum.
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 07:29:39 pm »
remember .. walking is the best therapy for balance! I was laughing with a co-worker the other day that trys to work out at the gym a couple of times a week .. an she said all the parking close to the gym is taken up first... so they can pay good money to walk nowhere on a treadmill ..   ???  ???  ???
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

LADavid

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 08:03:44 pm »
Hey Joef
Is that true that walking is the best therapy for balance?  I've been trying to figure this thing out.  I spend all day doing balance exercises and I feel worse.  Then I go for a two mile walk in the evening and I feel better.  I want my old physically active life back again and I want to do the right thing to get it back.  I'll walk 10 miles a day if this is the way to do it.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 06:57:41 am »
IMO practicing at home exercises can fatigue the brain/body.  walking later and feeling good means your time spent challenging your balance system is working.  Keep it up!? 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Betsy

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 08:04:20 am »
David, I've noticed the same thing.  A brisk walk on a good day and I'm feeling great.  20 minutes of the heel-toe thing and I'm almost falling on my face.  However, it used to take only 10 minutes of heel-toe torture to get me to that point, so something's happening.  I think the difference is that walking comes naturally and the therapy doesn't.

Betsy 
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 09:22:09 am »
I admit, I am the nut that will stalk the parking lot for a close space, ;D but it is b/c I go at 5:30 in the morning by myself and it is usually cold & snowing -- I don't like to take anything extra in so I can just run out and get home and start getting the kiddos ready for school.  When I did take a coat (& park further away), I forgot it & had to go back upstairs and get it!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 10:14:42 am »
I often get the evil eye when I park in that handicap spot at Wal-mart and walk quite normally into the store.  What these people don't realize is that I'm only handicapped when I come out of the store! (Head throbbing, dizzy and totally wonkyheaded.)

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW