Author Topic: A tiny grumble  (Read 13234 times)

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
A tiny grumble
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:11:04 pm »
I'm very tired of feeling like I've had one too many drinks 24/7.
Especially since I can't drink anymore, it makes everything worse.   :'(

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

LizAN

Re: A tiny grumble
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:48:59 pm »

Karen

I know what you mean, Karen!  I have been trying to walk every day, getting in better shape for surgery this summer.  Today, I was doing that little side-step that drunk people do, and I was wondering who saw me do that.  My feet just don't seem to know quite where to go anymore!  I hope it gets better for both of us!
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

KBL

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:04:27 pm »
I'm quite certain I look like I'm a drunk when I'm out in our yard.  Sometimes I wonder if I would walk straight in our yard if I was drunk.  Lol.  Considering I don't drink, I guess I won't find out.
What I'm saying is I understand.

Karen L.
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:24:24 am »
Hang in there!! I know it bites having to feel always off balance, but eventually you'll look back and think to yourself, "Hey, when did I get better?" :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:16:19 am »
Karen,

Believe me, you will get used to it. Find your joy in other things like taking long walks or doing something that only you enjoy. It's a little much to get used to now. Go slowly with it, it may take some time to get used to.

See how you do with a cane for walking. I spent a time at the Kessler institute. They have a vestibular balance machine there it is useful for getting people to adapt. When dealing with vestibular issues, it is best to pay attention to your feet and your balance. We all could use a little more work on our core (the muscle group in our stomachs). I am working out to try and get into shape for my GK procedure next month.

Try a cane for now, that helps in the short term and certainly will get you to stop feeling wobbly. For the longer term, you probably should do some stationary cycling to try to stabilize your core. The vestibular training probably you have to get a doctors order for so if you want or are concerned about it, you should probably go to your GP with your concern.

Check back with us often, to discuss your frustration, we HEAR you and are pulling for you. There is a lot of support here.

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 07:33:58 am »

Karen

I am one always trying to find the positive side of any situation how about this you are saving money with the expense of alcohol but yet still feeling like you had a few .... I have a sick sense of humor ...

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

lrobie

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 10:27:27 am »
Karen,

I can't recall if you had this symptom pre-CK or if it is something new.  As I've read here, there may be some swelling going on and pushing on your vestibular nerve.  Have you had vestibular therapy for it?  I'm not sure, but it may help.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

LizAN

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 11:32:14 am »
Karen,

I can't recall if you had this symptom pre-CK or if it is something new.  As I've read here, there may be some swelling going on and pushing on your vestibular nerve.  Have you had vestibular therapy for it?  I'm not sure, but it may help.

Lisa

Hmmm...if it started post-CK, maybe a round of steroids would help?
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 04:45:38 pm »
Before Cyberknife, I was living in a cloud, and my energy levels were not the best...
A day after CK the cloud got thicker, and energy levels also dropped.
Its not like the fatigue stopped me from doing any big ticket items.
It was just easier to sit on the couch than it was to get up and do something.
Motivation at work was also a problem.
When I did get up and go for a walk I did feel better for it.
I found walking to be the best vestibular exercise for me.
While walking would make me tired straight afterwards, probably because of the amount of brain power required to keep me walking in a straight line. I would feel better the next day.
I also found Ginger Extract was good at reducing nausea and helped my ability to get up and get active.
Ginger extract has been proven to be a natural alternative to motion sickness medication, and when taken at the highest recommended dose it certainly helped me..
Don't expect anything instant from the Ginger, it was subtle, just take it, and at the end of the day review the day to see if you did more or not.
I certainly found my capacity to do stuff appeared to increase if I took the Ginger, and the cloud just thinned a little by the end of the day. 
The fatigue got better ever so slowly. It took about 5 months before I felt the same as pretreatment. At 18 months however the cloud vanished. Very happy to be living out of the clouds once again.

If your experience is anything like mine things will get much better, but the first 5-6 months in particular energy levels were not the best.

10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

chloes mema

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 09:36:12 am »

Karen

I am one always trying to find the positive side of any situation how about this you are saving money with the expense of alcohol but yet still feeling like you had a few .... I have a sick sense of humor ...

Best Wishes,
I love it!!!  Yes, that had occurred to me since there's still 8 bottles of wine out of 9 sitting in the pantry.  I do miss my wine but you're so right, I get the feeling without the cost or the calories!  A positive way of approaching it.

Yes, I had these feelings prior to CK but I don't remember me paying so much attention to them before.  I guess I'm just more "tuned" in now after having read what might / can happen after CK.  I do notice that when I'm doing something (exercising, cleaning etc) that I'm totally concentrating on the issues are very minimal.  I have been doing yoga again which is helping. 

Karen

Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 02:56:02 pm »
Bravo for yoga and what about prayer and meditation?

Try saying (as Dr.Wayne Dyer recommends) I am healed!Make that your mantra! I do this every day, it works! Do the deep breathing exercises too.
 After a while you get an inner feeling of peace!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

millie

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 04:48:12 pm »
Hi folks-
The little high one gets after two glasses of wine is exactly how it feels.I never imagined  I would not want to have that feeling, but how times change. Sometimes I feel so angry. even though we try to be positive. Thanks for verbalizing my frustration.  I am watching and waiting having been diagnosed in February with a 1.2 cm and my next MRI is late August.  I wonder if any therapy helps relieve the symptoms; I can tolerate the hearing loss but the dizzy feeling and the high feeling are really really annoying.  I tell people now my left ear doesn't work and to please speak more loudly but I feel like an old coot.  (At 65 I am starting to accept I am leaving middle age. Major denial here.)
 Still learning a lot by reading this site; trying to get back on track/relearn what I lost  due to my husband's sudden heart surgery which made me grateful for blessings but now am slipping. I do walk in a straight line, and only occasionally feel like I might tip to one side, but I have been gardening, etc. etc. with no mishaps.  I think it may be all in my head.  (!)  No pun intended. I seem to drive just fine (I drive for us both now ) and I wonder if it is safe. (The doctor never mentioned driving; one said sure you can drive.) I do really concentrate more when I drive and am more careful; the last months I am definitely more symptomatic.

Thanks for being there.
Thanks for the sharing.
Mil

chloes mema

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 12:10:15 pm »
On a lighter note, I told my neighbor if you see me staggering down the drive way to the mail box it's not because I've been drinking.  She replied, if you see me staggering down the drive way towards the mail box it is because I've been drinking!   ;D

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

New girl

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 04:19:45 pm »
LOL  ;D
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 11:41:14 am »
I am 2 years post-op and still wonky. Everyone just has different outcomes. I wish my balance was better, but it is not going to get any better. It is the worst part of my surgery, by far.

Hoping yours gets better,
James