Author Topic: Georgia newbie introducing self and asking for input and support  (Read 7719 times)

Tricia (horsekayak)

• Keenah and Tricia
Hi to all,

Feel as tho I know some of you already from reading so many of your helpful, honest, and encouraging posts.

...I was diagnosed in Aug 09.  1.5 cm vestibular schwannoma (i love to say "schwannoma"), on right side of head.  Terrible tinnitus, hearing is at 50%, /comprehension is at 25%  (but i do still hear and comprehend something in that ear) 

Visited neurosurgeon affiliated with Piedmont Hospital very soon after that.  Left there with recommendation of translab, told to come back when I was ready.  Was told nothing about ANA by the doctor or staff.  Found ANA (and this group) via good old obsessive web searching and many many nights of staying up until 3am reading posts here.  Have since visited same neurosurgeon again (who also does GK at Piedmont).  Was told not to decide until i was sure. I had my questions "kind of" answered/explained, but felt as tho I was imposing on his time a little bit.  So, both times I left the office feeling like something is just not right with my gut feeling.  Part of the problem was my questions--I had made a list to ask, but nothing extra was volunteered or elaborated upon when they were answered.  Now,  after reading all the great advice here, am realizing that I still didn't ask  the direct, to the point, piercing questions that I must know to help make the best decision for me.  (Like, exactly how many times have you done this specific procedure, why did you recommend translab even though i still have about 50% hearing and 25% comprehension? and how recently have you performed this procedure?, and how many folks will assist?, (and what specialities are these folks who will be assisting?), and how experienced is ICU with problems that may/may not crop up after the surgery?  Have  only been in hospital for tonsils and wisdom teeth many years prior, and naively thought that all doctors were like Marcus Welby.  Yeah, I know....another newbie hits the posts. 

I now have a much better list of questions to ask now, thanks to all the wisdom and support I've been reading here.

I am going to post some insurance questions and some physician questions in the appropriate places later, tomorrow,  because I have an intense gut feeling that ATL is not the place to be for trans lab (or any type of surgery)...I'm currently looking at Shands in Florida and House in LA, based on some phone calls to folks in the WTT list, and lots of searches on the topics here on this site.  Thank God for this site and for those of you who give your time moderating and posting here.

I dint want this post to be too long, but i want for people to begin to know me, and for me to begin to know and interact with all of you.  I have felt so alone before I found this forum.  I echo what many newbies have said here--I cried tears of joy when I found and read your posts.  I cannot stress enough the importance of building a network of support for situations like this..I kept the diagnosis to myself for two weeks and the impact on my physical, mental, and emotional health was startling (and sadly,  was so unnecessary).  Once I started talking about it, and telling people, and asking for help, I started feeling twinges of the way I want to approach this:  concerned, amazed, curious, scared, angry, surprised, sad.  I know I'm feeling  all of the above, and beginning to accept that it is where I am,  BUT I want to be even more confident that I'm prepared to deal with all this  to the best of my ability, whatever "this" might be--from denial to acceptance--I want to be able to say "bring it on". ( I want to, but I'm still saying "why me" most of the time right now.  Talk about a piece of work in process!! )

Info about me:  Am on the far side of middle age, living in ATL area (near Lake Lanier, 1 hour north of ATL) close to place where I can kayak all the great parts of the quieter northern end of the lake.  I work as a virtual assistant from home, providing computer support to small business/solopreneurs-- sending out  emails, e-newsletters, and modifying/maintaining web sites, ...have also taught junior college and adult computer literacy classes most of my adult life, etc. At least I wont have a long commute when I start back to work!

I Have a great husband, Dennis, and wonderful supportive family and friends (in GA, SC, NC, FL, MO, OR and WA--(Puget Sound!!  Yay!!))  who are all encouraging me to read, research, relax, and ride as much as I can right now to get ready for all of this.

I love to read, garden, travel, kayak, and ride horses (---just got to take my first lessons in my mid-fifties but am loving it).  My passion is working with horses...I am currently training two horses (rescued from not so good situations) in "ground manners" using a technique called Parelli...this is a systematic way of communicating to horses in a respectful and assertive (not aggressive) way, to establish clear communication guidelines for horses .  This helps set up relationships that are respectful of the horse and SAFE for the human.  I do this so the horses can be used in equine therapy programs for disabled/at risk kids, and I do this for the love of horses. This helps scared, uncertain horses become confident and comfortable with themselves and humans (and thus safer) again.   I have run/walked the Peachtree Road Race (6.2 miles) for many of the last 25 years of races, and am  planning to do the next one on July 4, 2010.  I have already contacted friends at an equine therapy facility about the possibility of using physical therapist-assisted horseback balance exercises because I'm trying to see this surgery (and the possible need for balance therapy) as a way to keep horses in my life, as part of my recovery.  I'm also planning on applying some of the Parelli training techniques and theories on myself as I work my way through all this.  All of this helps me deal with what is happening...gives me something to aim for.

Thanks for reading ...I wish I could think of something profound to say, but all I can say again is thanks in advance, and hope to talk with you soon..I am so so scared and that's why I just keep typing and typing tonight..this is my first post after weeks of lurking, and my hands are literally shaking with this wild mix of emotions...guess you've read posts like mine before, but the beauty of this forum is that those who post here know and accept where each of us is, and still reach out with help and support...which is why I'm here...to share (hopefully both ways)  the support we can give each other

Tricia

Tricia (horsekayak)-Diagnosed 8/10/09
1.5 cm right side AN
Gainesville, GA (near horses and Lake Lanier)
Linac radiosurgery at Shands Hospital/Univ of Florida  12/1/09  Go Gators!!!

"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way"...BT Washington

sgerrard

Re: Georgia newbie introducing self and asking for input and support
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:40:43 pm »
Well welcome, Tricia. :)

As you said, you can get into all the details in other posts, but it sounds like you are aware of the basic issues and that finding the right doctors for you is worth it.

We all know what it is like when you first find out you have a tumor in your head. The good news is that while this is certainly going to be a bit of a wild ride, most people make it through fine, and learn something about themselves along the way. It is a little scary, but it should not be terrifying. You sound like you have some active interests in your life, and good friends and family at your side, which will serve you well and help keep you going as you make your way through this.

So welcome to the forum, please make yourself at home, you are one of us now. Others will be along to wish you well and offer information and support, depending on which you need at the moment. Ask anything and everything.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jackie

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:14:30 am »
Hi Tricia,

Welcome to our wonderful AN family. So sorry that you had to join us, but glad you have found this forum. You have already made great strides, by that I mean you have opened up so that we may get to know you better. Your ability to research the Web, will certainly be beneficial to you also! Ask any questions you want as many experienced people have quite extroadinary stories to share. We are here for you and want to help you with your AN journey! Blessings always,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

suboo73

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 04:37:26 am »
Hi Tricia,

Welcome to the the Forum - you have already discovered this is one FANTASTIC group!  ;D
I am curious - have you considered radiation treatments?  You only mentioned surgery.
[I have been here just a year and still in W &W.  My sister is here, too.]

I enjoyed reading your post - what wonderful work you are doing with horses!
My friend's son just completed his Eagle Scout project - a walkway for an animal shelter.
I think helping our animals friends is a special gift.

Please keep us updated on your AN journey. 

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:23:15 am »
Tricia,

Welcome to our group. It seems you have a good grip on things and know what to ask. Remember, you do have the time to gather the information you need and make the decision that is right for you. I wish you well and hope you find what you need here. Don't be afraid to ask those important direct questions of your doctor and if they don't like the questions you ask make note of that as well. Any doctor worthy of the task at hand should not be offended by your questions.

Be well,

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 06:23:40 am »
Hey, Tricia!  It's Cindy (here in Cumming) that you talked with a couple of weeks ago - I've been watching for you...so glad you've joined us!  Sounds like you're doing all the right things and approaching this in the best way possible.  As you've already seen, there is a wealth of info and wonderful support here.  We'll all help in any way we can!

Take care and do call me again if you'd like...our next Atl support meeting won't be til after the first of the year, but I'm thinking about trying to see if some folks would like to get together for lunch in the next month or so.  Watch for info and/or call me and we'll just meet up at Chik-fil-A or something!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 06:34:39 am »
Hi, Tricia  and welcome to the forum.  As you say, it's a great place to be  ;D

I didn't find out about the ANA until after my retrosigmoid surgery in May 2007, but always wish I'd known of it when making my treatment decision.  All the literature I received from them, the WTT list, and this forum would have made the steps of my AN Journey much less scary and stressful.

Thank God I found them post op - and prior to my BAHA surgery also, which was extremely helpful.

Just my opinion, but if your "gut" didn't give you a good feeling on the doctor you consulted with, please continue to look - my "gut" gave me a great feeling on the first and only doc I consulted with and my outcome was excellent.

Attitude has a lot to do with recovery, so I think it's key to have someone you are confident in and comfortable with - not to mention someone who has the necessary medical training and experience.

Good luck in your decision-making process; it's often one of the hardest part of the journey.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

epc1970

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 08:05:37 am »
Hi Tricia
I'm so happy that you found this forum. My best advice is to find a Dr that has extensive AN expirence. Also, listen to that gut of yours! It will not lead you in the wrong direction. Good luck in your decision making process!
Erin

lori67

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 08:28:37 am »
Hi Tricia and welcome!  Glad you found us!

Sounds like you are doing all the right things - research, worrying (normal!) and most importantly - trusting that gut feeling. 

I don't have much input to provide, but plenty of support.

Sounds to me like you have a very full life and I'm sure it will be after treatment too.  You seem very motivated to not let this get you down - just a bump in the road!

I have a daughter that turns 7 next week and is crazy about horses - in fact, that is what she asks for every year for her birthday.  It's not going to happen this year either, but if you'd like me to send her down by you to help with your therapy - let me know!   :D  You may need therapy of a different kind after that! 

Good luck and welcome to the family.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 08:42:25 am »
Hi Tricia,

Another welcome from TX.  You have found yourself a great bunch of people and a wonderful source of all kinds of useful info, medical and otherwise.  We can translate most "medspeak," advise you what to pack for the hospital if that's what you choose, and prop you up when you are having a bad day....and there will be a few of those.  Feel free to ask any and all questions.  As you said earlier, "Bring it on!"

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 09:16:53 am »
Tricia,

I welcome all new people through "you," as I'm not always around on the forum to connect individually.

The most important part of your Acoustic Neuroma experience is of course, your decision what journey to take down the road of your attack against this "mystery monster."

Even with the suggestion that Meningitis may be creeping through a vulnerable area and I've lost all my hearing on the right side, I'm so far pleased with my decision of Cyberknife!

I'll address all questions in my Meningitis post, once I have all the answers and have heard back from Stanford.

Keep reading, relaxing, doing ourdoor wilderness sports and connecting with us on the forum.
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 10:13:52 am »

Welcome Trica!!

I love to read, garden, travel, kayak, and ride horses

Did I hear Kayak ??? .....  your alright in my book  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

another NY postie

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 10:54:22 am »
Welcome Tricia - you have found the right place - amazing support, information and people who REALLY understand what you are going through because we are all doing the same thing..I traveled from NY for surgery at House 5 weeks ago today and am having an amazing recovery so if you have any specific questions about House, please feel free to pm me.  I agree that you need to just keep researching, asking questions, and speaking to drs.  The right decision and the right doctor will come to you at some point - it will feel right.  I also agree that you should explore radiosurgery as an option.  It was not the right decision for me but there are so many people here who have chosen it and have been very happy so you should read up on that section too.  You have many options (that is the part that will drive you crazy :D)...one will fit for you personally and you will know it when it does because it will feel right to you.
Good luck on this journey!
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

GRACE1

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 11:24:35 am »
Tricia,

Welcome to another Georgia peach.  I am glad you found our group and know you have options other than doctors who don't give you the best feeling in the world.  Look forward to meeting you at our next lunch get-together.  Let me know if you have any questions for me.

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

moe

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 12:25:17 pm »
Tricia,
It was very nice meeting you! I live near Tacoma WA and am a military dependent and  nurse.
You are on the right track. Never did anyone mention the ANA as support.  Come on doctors, get some sympathy going!  I joined less than a year ago, after all the fun and games and have met many nice people. (Still having fun and games and continue to learn more and support others too). It's a win/win type of forum.
We help you feel better, you help us feel better by helping you! ???

Had one email buddy who had the same surgery with the same doctor, so that was all I needed.

Anyway anytime you want to vent, this is the place. You must be a fast typer :)
Everything will be OK, you'll see.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty