Author Topic: Canthoplasty.....  (Read 3804 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Canthoplasty.....
« on: January 08, 2009, 04:59:59 pm »
I read today where you can not have this procedure repeated. Is this true? I had one a year ago and my eye is drooping again. Would they do a canthopexy instead?
Angie
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 03:59:26 pm by CROOKEDSMILE »

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Can you have more than one canthoplasty?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 07:16:02 am »
Hi Angie:  I've had what's called a lateral canthal sling done 4 times because my lower lid kept drooping too.  Sounds like it may be a similar procedure ?    Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

CROOKEDSMILE

Re: Can you have more than one canthoplasty?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 03:59:02 pm »
Well,
Scheduled for visit with Dr Ralph Wesley in Nashville for consultation for the canthoplasty or whatever he thinks needs done. I've had one already so we will see. I see him 2nd week in Feb. They worked me in quick! Lori, Does he do his surgeries at the hospital under general anesthesia for this? Thanks for the referral.
Angie
We only have one oculoplastic doc. here in town and I worked with him and could barely stand him so I am travelin' to Nashville! (will be there anyway for my neuromuscular retraining) Will post pictures when I get it done. My husband said if I keep coming home with these black eyes from surgery that strangers are going to think I'm married to a meanie! hee, hee.
Look forward to having it done although I do hope that it doesn't change the shape of my eye too much. My goal is for them of course to be symmetrical. My weak eye is larger due to the lack of tone in and under that eye making it harder to get full closure so it will be nice to tighten it up! Does anyone know how long it last? My last one only lasted about a year.
Angie

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Canthoplasty.....
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:19:07 pm »
Angie, the last surgery I had 11/14/08, the doc said 'when done right it shouldn't droop anymore' - well, I'll see.   In the meantime, he said he hooks a part of the tendon/muscle (?) to bone, which wasn't done with the other 3 surgeries.   Time will tell....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

satman

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:36:47 am »
not to hi-jack the thread but hi nancy ann, long time since we chatted hope all is well.
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

lori67

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 12:46:56 pm »
Angie,

Sorry, I missed this thread somewhere along the line!

You'll love Dr. Wesley.  He is such a sweet man - so compassionate and kind.  He doesn't just treat your eyes, but it feels like he's treating your whole person as well.

Anyway, I  think I might have said this on another post somewhere, but just in case I didn't, he has a surgical suite right in his office and he's able to schedule you pretty quickly for that.  My insurance woudn't pay for that, so I had to go to Centennial Hospital - not far from his office - to have it done under general anesthesia.  I had to wait a little bit longer because of course now you have to coordinate OR times and anesthesiologists and everything else, but it was only a couple of weeks later.

I've never had the canthoplasty - I had a lateral tarsorrhaphy, so I don't know how long they last.  I would imagine it would be fixed for good, but who knows.

Let me know how it goes!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 09:20:33 am »
Angie~
You won't be able to have this done now that you are pregnant, will you??
 ???

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 09:26:02 am »
Hey Kay,
Nope. Had to cancel but will get it done as soon as the baby is here. Probably a blessing in disguise. It will allow more healing time and give the doctor a better idea of how much to tuck!
Angie