Author Topic: 55yr old female - 2.4cm AN - freaking out  (Read 34644 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 55yr old female - 2.4cm AN - freaking out
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2009, 01:55:37 pm »
Anna ~

To elaborate on Melindas's comments: I underwent a partial tumor resection using the retrosigmoid approach.  This surgical approach has an (approximately) 60% chance of preserving hearing.  My hearing nerve was fatally compromised prior to the discovery of my AN so the surgeon used 'retro' simply as the best way to reach the tumor as hearing retention was not an issue.  The Retrosigmoid Approach involves a slight retraction of the cerebellum, which is a bit risky - but necessary.  My neurosurgeon did move my cerebellum (in his words: "just a little") but I suffered no headaches or other ramifications from the procedure.  Pre-op, when I brought up the question of developing post-op headaches, my neurosurgeon (with 30+ years experience surgically removing ANs) literally scoffed at the idea.  He flatly stated - in his words - "my AN surgical patients don't get headaches".  He was right - I didn't.  After this 'de-bulking' procedure, which was highly successful (no complications) I underwent 26-sessions of FSR treatments to irradiate and destroy the remaining tumor's DNA.  That was also successful and somewhat uneventful.  I do have a titanium plate in my skull - but no 'belly fat'.  Frankly, I didn't have any belly fat to contribute (I had lost over 30 pounds - due to the AN-induced loss of taste - prior to the surgery and was borderline underweight) and apparently, my neurosurgeon didn't consider it necessary because he didn't take fat from anywhere else and never mentioned it during my follow-up visits.  I'm fine now.  My balance is quite serviceable and I've fully adjusted to being SSD.  I believe the retrosigmoid surgical approach is commonly used for good reason but every AN patient is different and every doctor views things slightly differently, so what was great for me may not be a good procedure for another AN patient.   I'm sure the doctors that perform your AN removal surgery will choose the very best surgical approach for your situation.     

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2009, 04:47:17 pm »
Melinda,

My surgeon told me that he prefers to do the Retro b/c of the view he gets, and it isn't more likely to result in facial paralysis (no more risk than the others).  Also, there is no fat harvested, I was told that a 1 1/4-1 1/2" square piece of skull was completely removed, but then put back on with bone cement after the procedure to protect the opening.

Jim,

My surgeon told me that there was only a 25% chance of retaining hearing with the retrosigmoid.  I'm guessing size and placement have a lot to do with it.  In any case, he set me up for the fact that I would probably come out of it without hearing-that it wasn't their primary goal.  Primary goal was to protect the facial nerve, and second-to remove all of the tumor.

I went into my neurosurgeon's office prepared to ask for the Translab procedure because of everything I had read on the net (and some here).  He talked me out of it based on some misconceptions I had.  I guess the surgery has come a long way (that, and it was his comfort to do retrosigmoid and I truly believe whenever possible that you should go with the one they are most confident with and do the most often).  I'm so glad he did the retro on me, given the way it turned out.  I'm very thankful for the hearing I retained (even though I would have given it up in a heartbeat if it meant lower probability of facial paralysis).

Adrienne ~

Because hearing preservation was not an issue for me at that point, my neurosurgeon was focused on avoiding facial paralysis .  Thankfully, he was completely successful.   Jim

Annac-It's nice that you have others that have gone before you with the same type of procedure.  I hope you get some clarity on your own decision soon.

Adrienne
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:56:59 pm by Jim Scott »
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2009, 06:41:08 pm »
I don't know whether I'm the only one who has noticed that the "fat harvest" seems to be appearing on this thread as one of the factors to consider when deciding, if you have an option, which surgical procedure to select. I can only speak for myself, but the "fat harvest" is very, very insignificant in the overall scheme of things. You'll end up with a fairly small incision on your abdomen ... and that's about it. Please don't let that aspect of the surgery be a factor in your decision-making process!!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Tumbleweed

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2009, 10:49:01 pm »

My surgeon told me that there was only a 25% chance of retaining hearing with the retrosigmoid.  I'm guessing size and placement have a lot to do with it. 

Size and location do play a role. Another factor is the condition of the hearing nerve going in to surgery. When I was diagnosed, I strongly considered surgery instead of radiation (although I ultimately chose the latter, in the form of CK). Dr. Derald Brackmann ordered an ABR (auditory brainstem response) test for me. Although my hearing was relatively good at the time, my ABR test results were bad. Four of the five "nodes" showed very low-amplitude signals; in plain English: my hearing nerve function was hanging on by a thread. From this, Dr. Brackmann concluded that my hearing nerve would not functionally survive the trauma of a retrosigmoid approach and that I would emerge from surgery deaf on my AN side.

As an aside: The size and location of my tumor ruled out middle-fossa approach. So, as translab always results in SSD, I was facing SSD with any surgical approach. This led me to consider radiation (which I had formerly ruled out due to uninformed bias, meaning I hadn't researched that option at all at the time and just didn't like the idea of irradiating my brain). Because hearing preservation was so important to me, Dr. Brackmann recommended I have radiosurgery. His recommendation was GK, but I chose CK after researching the differences between the two (very similar) types of radiation therapies.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2009, 06:24:44 am »
I don't know whether I'm the only one who has noticed that the "fat harvest" seems to be appearing on this thread as one of the factors to consider when deciding, if you have an option, which surgical procedure to select. I can only speak for myself, but the "fat harvest" is very, very insignificant in the overall scheme of things. You'll end up with a fairly small incision on your abdomen ... and that's about it. Please don't let that aspect of the surgery be a factor in your decision-making process!!

Excellent point, Catherine!  I didn't have a choice when it came to the fat graft - but it definitely was no big deal.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mickey

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2009, 08:04:11 am »
Hi Anna! I`m in the NYC area also. Presently W+W with my Dr`s Roland + Golfinos. At first I saw Roland which then recomended Golfinos for his opinion. I was real comfortable with them  laying out all my options. They are a team! Best Wishes, Mickey

annac

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2009, 11:35:33 am »
This "fat harvest" is not in the slightest a decision maker. In fact, getting rid of any fat from my abdomen would be a plus!  ;)

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
2000 -Right side 1.2cm AN FRS w/ Dr. Lederman, Staten Island University Hospital
2009 - 2.4AN - some hearing loss, mild right ear pain, mild tinnitus
looking for options

ladida

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2009, 12:54:56 am »
....Hello:

I had the same size and opted for surgery as I was told after 5 opinions that getting rid of the thing was best for my own mental health.  I was also 55 then.

In my case I went to Dr. Brackman, was out of the hospital on the 5th day, and stayed at the New Otani Hotel to recover alone!!!  I took a spa day at Ole Henrikson of Denmark, a day trip to see all of Hollywood and was back home on day 8 and back to work on day 14.  I am a medical professional and cannot speak more highly of anyone than Dr. Brackman.

I had Anthem/BC and out there it is called something else but my insurance covered it and he took whatever they paid.

Because these are so rare, I agree that you do need someone who has experience and he told me he does 3 per day.  He also teaches and the neuro was Dr. Schwartz,

send him your actual film from radiology, not the disk, he will review and call you...be prepared that it is usually in the evening due to time delay...depending where you live.

My personal opinion is to get on with your life and be rid of it...

You should do what he advises.  I also went to Yale, NYU and spoke with another Dr. King in LA...Dr.Brackman just relaxed me and had the most experience...of those I encountered. 

I am not 58, have had no problems, no paralysis,and he did not shave my head....huge relief per my request, but most important to me was knowing it was finally out...not one Dr. recommended radiation for my age.

Really, other than getting used to the loss on one side which I only notice when driving Thur a bank drive up or trying to write with my right hand and talk on the phone with my left ear (which I can't) I am OK....

O really look better people say and I think just knowing it is gone relaxed me.

I know the never say never, but we could get hit crossing the street too.

I don't think about it anymore and the freaking out stopped once it was gone. 

I  gained an appreciation of life, re evaluated and am working in the US, and Paris, travel as much as possible and just want to downsize and enjoy what life I have.

I asked a 95 yr old patient of mine what she would change or advise me on life.

She said worrry is a waste of time and changes nothing and men come and go as do friends....to live life  and enjoy it.

Best of Luck to You.

ladida

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2009, 01:06:34 am »
PS

APOLOGIES FOR MY TYPOS...

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2009, 06:07:07 am »
La-Di-Da,
Love your attitude.  I have adopted the same after the top five stressors in one year three years ago.  Also, 58, but only for two more months.  Headed off on a trip in a week.  Life is grand.  Enjoy what's left.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

lori67

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2009, 07:21:51 am »
Ladida -

Welcome to the forum!  I'll excuse your typos if you excuse mine!   :D

Not questioning your doctor's stats, but is it really possible to do 3 AN surgeries in one day?  My surgery took 9 hours - I realize some are shorter, many are longer, so one would have to assume that this doctor never eats or sleeps!  Wow - and I thought I had no life!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2009, 07:42:47 am »
I was wondering that too...even on an average - that is an almost impossible number...my surgery was 14 hours... ???

K   ???
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2009, 09:48:46 am »
If he does 3 a day, not sure I would want to be #3.   :-\  Even at 5 hours, which mine was and is relatively short for AN surgeries, that would translate to 15 hours of tedious operating.  Unless, of course, someone else is doing the opening and closing.  Then I suppose it would be feasible.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2009, 12:56:14 pm »
My guess is he is in and out of ORs with the neurotology team doing their part while he's off in another skull and then another and back and forth etc etc.  Get my drift?  ;D
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

lori67

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2009, 03:16:34 pm »
Yeah, definitely get your drift, but, I don't know.  I think I'd prefer to have his undivided attention when his mitts are inside my skull!  Sometimes I don't like to share!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.