Author Topic: what can I expect  (Read 8232 times)

lugnuts

Re: what can I expect
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 09:10:10 pm »
So, I had the translab to remove my >2cm AM on the right side and the outcome has exceeded my expectations. I am 6 months into my new life chapter. I was very excited because, after just 7 days the terrible headaches went away.  My face is good and I am back to work (full time after 8 weeks).  When I came home from the hospital I was excited to have Laurie's (wife) homemade lasagna, she makes the best in the world.  I was dissappointed that it was tasteless; and the vintage red wine was lousy; but the constant noise in my ear was gone.  It is interesting how these things happen.  I think the noise dissappearing (for a short time) was due to the prednizone because after about a month it was back as loud and louder as ever; also after about a month my taste returned although it is still off, I have a numb spot on my tongue and my taste of salt is very diminished. Another interesting thing is that when I eat my right (AN side) eye waters and nose runs. Then there's the SSD,balance and clay head feeling but I won't go into more self-pity now.
My visit at Kaiser Redwood City and the results confirmed my confidence in their center of excellence for Neurosurgery, neurosurgeon Dr. Nutik and Head and Neck surgeon Dr. Korel and the nursing staff gave me the best outcome I could have expected.  They are skillful and nice.

My main issue is the total deafness in the R ear (removal of the inner ear would do it!). Although my hearing was gone before the surgery (I could not distinguish words) I still had some input that helped me more that I realized.  My good ear is not that great I, wear the Phonex Savio and the Bicros but I still have major problems understanding in other than quiet environments.

I am going to discuss the BAHA with my H&N MD tomorrow (it is covered by my plan). Any comments on the BAHA for people with a weak good ear?
JD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: what can I expect
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 05:41:40 pm »

I am going to discuss the BAHA with my H&N MD tomorrow (it is covered by my plan). Any comments on the BAHA for people with a weak good ear?

Lugnuts -

I wear a Divino because my "good" ear is 100%, but when I made the BAHA decision, I did ask my neurotologist (who did both my AN and my BAHA surgeries) what those with less than 100% hearing in their "good" ear do.  He said that most of them can go with the Intenso processor - because it's stronger than the Divino.

So, I'd ask your doctor if the Intenso would be a good choice for you.

If you choose to have the implant, I think you'll like it.  I've had my Divino for a little more than a year now and I love it.

Good luck with your appointment - please let us know what your doctor says.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways