Author Topic: Going to Ecuador! (and 6 months post-op)  (Read 3612 times)

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
Going to Ecuador! (and 6 months post-op)
« on: October 21, 2012, 08:48:20 am »
I made it to the 6 month mark!! It feels so wonderful to be halfway to my 1 year mark and I really do feel 100% like the old me again. For those of you who are still waiting to have surgery, trust me, things do get better. :) Although you'll have scars and may have some physical reminders of what you've been through, you will live a full, normal life again.

I think, if anything, you might even live a fuller life than before. There's nothing like illness or a serious medical condition to make you reassess what's important to you and realize how unpredictable and fragile life can be. Going through this experience with Iggy has given me the courage to do something that I've wanted to do for awhile but always put off: teach English in South America! 

In February I'll be leaving the states to live and teach in Ecuador for a year with WorldTeach. It's a nonprofit organization that sends volunteer teachers to developing countries around the world. I'm so excited to finally be "taking the plunge" and I largely have my acoustic neuroma to thank for it.

If you'd like to find out more about what I'm doing and find out how you can get involved, just head on over to my blog and read my 6 month post-op entry:www.awkwardturtles.blogspot.com or you can visit the Facebook page I created: www.facebook.com/ecuadoryear.

What have you been putting off until you have more time, more money, more courage, etc? From here on out I'm going to try and do my best to make the most of the time God has given me. I hope we can all encourage each other to do the same.  :)

**Happy turtling!**
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
Re: Going to Ecuador! (and 6 months post-op)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 09:27:00 am »
Manders
Have been thinking a lot about you this week wondering how you're doing so good to read your post.

Good luck and thank you for such a positive post; made me stop and think.

Best of luck to you.   ;)

Karen
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 01:13:23 pm »
Manders ~

Congratulations on your excellent recovery as well as your decision to spend a year teaching English in Ecuador.  An act of service that is to be admired. 

Your admonition to make the most out of life and take some risks is astute and demonstrates a maturity that is rare in a person your age.  Kudos to you, Manders.  I'm sure you'll have a great experience in Ecuador! :)

Jim
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:45:19 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 03:35:20 pm »
Manders,

Go and explore Ecuador and teach English. Live your life ! Do good! You'll be  AMAZING! Three cheers! Congratulations! Go for it!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

Manders

• Look closely. God's fingerprints are everywhere.
    • Awkward Turtles
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:56:10 am »
Thank you all! I'm really excited about this opportunity. I know it's going to be challenging but it will help me to learn and grow even more. Thanks for the encouragement! :) 
Diagnosed February 2012 * 1.3cm tumor * Experienced sudden & total hearing loss in 2007 in right ear * Translab scheduled for May 11, 2012*Follow my blog at: www.awkwardturtlesan.blogspot.com

chloes mema

• Life is a special occasion.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 05:33:48 pm »
You go, girl!    ;)
Diagnosed October 2011
Oct '11-9 X 6 mm left ear
Mar '12 - 1.25cm
Tinnitus, imbalance, and mild dizziness (ditsy)
My AN = Annoying Nuisance
Jan'12 W&W
May'12 CK completed
Oct'12 hemifacial spasms
Dec'19 It's back

LizAN

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:36:28 pm »
Woohoo, Manders!  Life not only goes on, it can get even better, and you are living proof!

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

It is what it is

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 05:44:29 pm »
What an amazing experience you will have.  Please share with us some of your life moments while you are there.  Congrats!

karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.