Author Topic: lower lip sensation  (Read 7571 times)

sunshine16

lower lip sensation
« on: April 27, 2006, 12:29:40 am »
hi guys,

just wondering if anyone ever felt this before.  My left side face (AN side)  has been paralyzed/weak since after surgery.   And for the last 4-5 hours now, my lower lip feels so sensitive esp.  when I pinch it.  It also has this tingling sensation like I've been to the dentist and the anesthetic is starting to wear off and feel the tingling.  Is this means good news to me? 

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: lower lip sensation
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 10:12:28 am »

Yes! I would say its good news .. I've had the same thing for a few months .. it comes and goes .. I get pains in the cheek now .. and it comes and goes .. I'm a few months ahead of you I would say, I've made progress .. its just so slow...  >:(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 10:33:07 am »
I've had pings and zaps I call them.  About a month ago I had a major one and noticed I could feel about a finger width more in my lip than I did.  So hoping it means goodt things are in store for you!  Keep us posted!!!

sunshine16

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 10:33:45 am »
thank you, Joef.  I just felt some tingling on my cheek just now.  Something I never felt since surgery.  ****cross my fingers****  it is really good news.  

sunshine16

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 10:35:06 am »
I've had pings and zaps I call them.  About a month ago I had a major one and noticed I could feel about a finger width more in my lip than I did.  So hoping it means goodt things are in store for you!  Keep us posted!!!

do you also had or have facial paralysis?  and now you can smile again?

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 10:45:11 am »
No, I've had facial numbness since surgery.  My face moves I just don't feel it but feel a lot of tingly, zapping sensations.  I've bee told the trigeminal nerve is damaged and no idea if or when it will repair itself.  I wish I had some answers on that!  I don't feel my half my tongue and lips and face which is real annoying!  I'm sure you can relate with what you are going through!  I think the facial issues are the worse aspect of this whole thing to deal with.  My smile is pretty much still there I just have to work at it.  I've been making faces for months trying to keep the muscle tone.

matti

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 12:19:35 pm »
Hi Sunshine - I had facial paralysis and the sensations that you are describing are exactly what I felt as my facial nerve was recovering. I am so happy for you ;D ;D ;D

All this good news, first our BattyP regains some hearing and is feeling new sensations on her face and now you have good things as well.

Take care,
matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 01:46:22 pm »

I get those zaps in my tongue and lips too ! But not I'm getting any movement yet  >:(
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

sunshine16

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 02:51:47 pm »
I'm hopeful, please, and very happy knowing there's a chance for me to smile again.  I can only hope for the best.  Lots of people said that "Life is like a roller coaster ride!"  well my AN recovery is surely a roller coaster ride so far, though I will never go to a roller coaster ride for real :-[, I am definitely IN for this one and Thanks God for everything.

by the way, still have the tingling sensations on my lip.    :)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 07:17:02 pm »
Yes!!

The CrazyCat concurrs on this one. Looks like we're all shared huge growths - mine was 5cm x 5cm. After surgery, the  left side of my lower lip was like a dead, lifeless peice of meat - no feeling whatsoever. Also, the scalp on the left side of my head had no feeling either.
I'd touch my head and it would feel as if were someone else's.  These sensations have and are gradually returning. My scalp is completely normal again as is my lower lip. There is still some residual numbness in my left cheek, but it seems to be gradually diminishing, albeit very slowly.
   It was so bad after surgery I thought I had facial nerve damage. It was pointed out to me after my first follow-up visit to the ENT surgeon
that it was the trigeminal nerve the was effecting me and not the facial nerve. He touched my left cheek and asked if I could feel it to which I said yes. He then said that if I could feel that much then it would all eventually come back. Just a matter of time and healing.

What's really bothering me now - at this very moment - is the hissing, ringing and pulsing in my left ear!! I'm going jogging right now to get rid of it! I love running at night.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 08:41:36 pm »
Paul,
  You can run?  I tried a little jog and if someone would have taped it could have one the 10K on america's funniest home videos  LOL 

I'm interested in your trigeminal nerve.  I tell I'm touching my check but can't feel sharp objects being poked into my face.  My tongue is half numb too..did you have that?  Everything moves, I just can't feel it.  My tongue feels like someone is pinching it!  I really wish they'd let go  LOL They still haven't decided if my face will come back...wish my tongue would. 

Crazycat

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 10:25:31 pm »
Dear B.P.

Yes, I can run. I've been running religiously for over 6 years now. Running and weight training have preserved me well. Helped me bounce back from surgery - and that was hard. It still is a challenge in some ways. The more I move, the better I feel.

The trigeminal nerve? Yes..... a long, slow recovery. I've pretty much spelled out what I've been through with in my previous posts. My feeling is gradually returning as the doctors said it would. None of the nerves were cut, only moved, stretched or, "insulted", as they would say. Probably the same case for most of us. Just varying rates or times for healing. My tongue was never effected though.
  As I've said before, one of my biggest gripes is that my handwriting is really strained. I always had excellent penmanship. I began noticing it
before my surgery. For a while I had been attributing this problem to an increasing reliance to the computer keyboard as a means for communication. I was thinking that I had let the necessary muscles and memory atrophy from simply a lack of doing it often enough. No. I'm left side impaired and that will also take time to come back -  as the doctors said.
   Keep in mind that when it it comes to the nervous system, healing can take a great deal of time.

Paul

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

sunshine16

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 12:11:20 am »
Paul,  how long ago since you had the surgery?  You also had a facial paralysis or weakness on one side of your face?  How soon did it came back to normal? 

take care.

daylilly

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 10:57:59 am »
I'm hoping that the lower lip sensations are great news because my lower lip has been the first part to wake up. That
is also where they found electrical potential when they did an EMG. I'm much farther out than you - about 9 months now.
I think I have some little wiggles around my nose. Still no smile or eye blink. Here's hoping those sensations spread and
bring you smiles and wiggles.
3 cm AN
translab July 2005, Emory, Dr. Mattox, Dr. Olson
gold weight, Dr. Wojno
left-sided deaf
left-sided facial paralysis

Crazycat

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 12:25:25 pm »
Sunshine,

No, I never had paralysis, only numbness. Paralysis comes from the facial nerve. Numbness from the trigeminal nerve. That's what it seems like to me.

Paul