Author Topic: Recovery period/activities  (Read 5056 times)

JD

Recovery period/activities
« on: January 15, 2010, 03:03:17 am »
Hi folks, havent been hear for a while, partly because I felt info overload since I was diagnosed and partly because I was misdiagnosed with an AN and instead have a 4cm Jugular Foramen Schwannoma.
Was diagnosed initially early nov and Im still waiting for a date for my Op. I'll be having retrosigmoid to remove the tumour.
I was just wondering about the recovery time and what I'll be able to do during my recovery. Im 33 and in pretty good shape, I run and lift weights 3-4 times a week and also do a bit of swimming. How long after my op generally speaking providing everything goes ok will I be able to get back into the gym etc.
Thanks guys
JD
Diagnosed Nov '09  4.2cm x 4cm x 3.7 ... jugular foramen schwannoma, but i love you guys on here so im sticking around! Surgery in feb '10. SSD and slight ossilipothia, apart from that im tip top, back at work early may and back training at the gym.

lori67

Re: Recovery period/activities
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:11:59 am »
Hi JD.

Well, just when you think you've heard of all the schwannomas out there, someone comes up with a new one!   :D  I guess it's good to be unique!

Can't really give you a solid answer on your question since everyone heals differently, but I can tell you that being in good shape and being motivated to return to your previous activity is going to help A LOT!!

I'm sure your doctor will give you lifting restrictions for a certain amount of time, so it may be a little while before you can get back to lifting weights, and of course you'll have to wait until your incision is well healed before diving into the pool, but I'm sure you'll be able to find other ways to keep active and fit.

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sues1953

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 07:32:41 am »
Hi JD,

I can relate to that overwhelmed feeling.  I was diagnosed in early Dec. I have a 3.2 AN and I'm still working on a second opinion.  Not that I had ever heard of an Acoustic Neuroma but I have never heard of what you have.  What the difference?  Who diagnosed you?  Did you get a second opinion?

Susan
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 07:49:59 am »
Everyone situation and recovery is different the acoustic schwannoma's are usually on the cranial nerves and causes different scenarios balance, hearing, facial where is yours exactly and what is it affecting will make the difference just guessing.

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Lilan

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 07:58:13 am »
Some devoted exercisers seem to get back to cardio at around three weeks after surgery. A month is maybe a rule of thumb for anything too strenuous?

Weight lifting is a tougher call. You will not be able to do even moderate lifting for a month (over 10 lbs or so), and on Day 31 I doubt you will want to go out and lift extremely heavy weights to make up for lost time (because of the "straining.") So you might want to seek specific advice for yourself about weightlifting from your doctors once you get past a month.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 08:42:43 am »
JD

I had retrosigmoid for a 17mm AN and was very active before surgery(weight lifting, swimming, bycicle riding, and jogging 2-3 times a week).  My Dr. told me no lifting for the first month and no heavy weight lifting for 3 months.  After three months I started lifting and jogging again, I'm now lifting more than before surgery.  Everyone is different though, I know there is someone here that posted, I think she said her son is 125 lbs and handycapped and she started lifting him 4-6 weeks after surgery.  I tried to find out who it was that posted but had no luck.  There are lots of people here that have returned to doing sport shortly after surgery.

Dan in Germany 
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 02:22:25 pm »
Hi, JD ~

If you've read all the previous posts in this thread you probably got the idea that the answer to your question is a definite'it depends'.  At your relatively young age, being physically active and anxious to resume your fitness regimen, I would guess that with no post-op complications (never guaranteed) you're looking at a 6-to-8 week recovery period when you'll be restricted from engaging in some activities, such as weight lifting and swimming.  Your doctor will be the one to give you the specifics of your recovery restrictions but I would offer a 'ballpark' figure of 6-8 weeks, which is the norm for AN surgery patients with no real post-op complications.  Of course, some 'athletic' AN post-op patients are back in the gym in a few weeks, others not for several months - but let's hope you're on the 'short' side of the recovery period.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

JD

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 05:23:34 am »
Thanks a mill for all the responses guys, guess I'm gonna be out of action for up to 8 weeks or so, I was kind of kidding myself that Id be back full tilt after a month (wishful thinking!!). Really appreciate your responses guys, I guess I just needed to hear the facts from people with experience.
My schawannoma is located a little futher back arising from the 10,11 or 12 cranial nerves.. presents with pretty much the same symptoms as as AN, hence the misdiagnosis.  Compared to AN there is not the same amount of info out there on Jugular foramen schwannomas, it was the experience of my surgeon that finally diagnosed me correctly after studying my scan.
thanks again guys
JD
Diagnosed Nov '09  4.2cm x 4cm x 3.7 ... jugular foramen schwannoma, but i love you guys on here so im sticking around! Surgery in feb '10. SSD and slight ossilipothia, apart from that im tip top, back at work early may and back training at the gym.

Amplified2000

• Loose nut behind the wheel
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 07:47:05 pm »
Hey JD,

I'm not familiar with the term you used to describe your tumor but it sounds very similar to the one I had removed a couple years ago. My tumor arose from the 10th cranial nerve and involved the jugular on the left side of my neck/skullbase. Now my surgical experience was a bit unique due to some pretty serious post-op complications so I can't give you a best case scenario. There are a lot of things that will factor in to your recovery and such, really is going to depend on how the nerves in that area survive.

I'm not going to go into details about my experience as I don't want to give you the wrong idea, but if you do really want to know send me a private message and I'll be glad to tell you anything you want.

Best of luck!

Kevin
10th Cranial Nerve Neuroma - 4.6cm x 4.2cm x 6.8cm - Removed 5/08 by Dr. John Leonnetti @ Loyola University
AN - Left IAC - 20mm x 9mm x 11mm - 2/10
Mid-Fossa - Dr. Friedman @ HEI on 3/3/10
Total removal, only mild hearing loss.. did have a CSF leak but they fixed it :)
Home recovering :)

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 01:23:47 pm »
Hi JD.  Your recovery definitely depends on wether you have any issues after surgery.  I was slow to get going immediately after surgery, but steadily regained strength.  No lifting for a few weeks and then under 10 lbs for the first few months.  No weight lifting until after 3 months.  At about 4 months, I went back to the gym for my 1 hour barbell class.  I continue to do that weekly since then.  As far as running, I still have a bit of trouble.  After about a mile I feel like a bobble head and stop.  If I was a true runner before surgery, I would probably push through, but it's not my passion - so I stop!  Now, I like the stair machine - it does not make my head move as much!

Good luck with everything and don't push too hard right away post op.  It's not worth it, if it causes complications that set you back.  Your body will let you know when to stop!  Alicia
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 11:12:56 am »
I was just wondering do you have a date yet for your operation ??

Best Wishes,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.