Author Topic: First time Poster, surgery in July  (Read 5241 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: First time Poster, surgery in July
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 01:45:10 pm »
Hi Darin,

I am a couple of years older than you, ok, I'm 46, but if anything you should do better than us old farts when it comes to surgery :).  I don't have any questions right now since it seems like you are comfortable with your choice of surgeons and you mentioned that he has done too many to count.  Just make sure he can count past ten :).

Welcome to our group!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 03:29:19 pm »
Hello Darin - and welcome to our little corner of the internet.  I noticed a hat was in our ring and wondered who's it was.  Now I know.  ;)

You seem to have the situation well in hand as far as insurance coverage, an understanding boss, confidence in your doctors, family support and of course, your youth.   Best of all, you have a positive, 'let's get on with it' attitude that I believe is very beneficial for any AN patient.  As long as you're in good health and have experienced surgeons, you should do fine.  My AN was close to 5 cm and I was almost 40 years older than you when I had my AN surgery (then, radiation).  I was no athlete - for sure - but in good health and anxious to 'get this over with and get my life back' (sound familiar?).  As my signature notes, my surgery went well - no complications - and my recovery was rapid and basically uneventful, for which I'm grateful.  I trust you'll have a similar experience, minus the 40 years, of course.  If you have a question we can answer or just want to vent, feel free to do so, anytime.  We're always open.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 05:54:48 pm »
    Hey everybody, I just posted this last night, so I was thinking, well I will check to see if I got a reply yet. And Whoa! 16 replies in less than 24 hours! I read them all, even though I had to slow down by the time I got to the middle, because my eyes started watering...I hate when that happens ; - ) Thanks to everybody for a enthusiastic and nice welcome. Also it was good some pointed out to make sure I ask my doctor to count past ten. That was funny....
   To answer a few of the questions, I live in Michigan, on the west side of the state. Born and raised, but I visited San Diego 4 years ago and thought it would be an awesome place to live. I could put my ice scraper on Ebay or something. I know several people who lived in MI, and moved to the Phoenix, AZ area, and they always tell me, "I miss the changing of the seasons". Not one has moved back.

warm all year > seasons changing

I went to the doctor because I did notice hearing loss on my right side for quite awhile, and I finally started to think I should do something about it. It's kind of funny/peculiar, because before my first hearing test(I don't quite remember what it was called, basic hearing test maybe) I remember the nice lady asked me if I had ringing in my ear. I told her, "no". And after that afternoon was when I actually noticed how much my ear does ring. I have it everyday, for 1 to 10 minutes at a time. Sometimes once a day, sometimes 5 times a day. I think it was just something I've had for so long, it didn't even register in my brain until after i realized there could be a problem and a doctor asked me about it. I am still amazed that I actually didn't think I had ringing in my ear when she asked me.
  Two questions about posting...did I do this right, clicking 'reply' to my own first posting, or should I start a new post? Not sure forum etiquette, I don't even have facebook or myspace! Also, how do I load a pic of myself for when I post? I saw a URL link to put in, from facebook or myspace picture, but like I said, I'm not into facebook. Thanks!
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 07:25:26 pm »
Darin~
Yes, this is good - just hit reply then everyone who has already checked in to meet you can come back to this thread to check up on ya!!  If you have a whole "nother question/subject, then certainly, start another!  WE are pretty free & easy here!  SOmeone else, maybe Jan, can tell you how to load a picture - I always have to ask her anyway!!  Glad you got a good welcome - this is a GREAT group of people!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

doinoc

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 07:52:46 pm »
Hi Darin,  love the name my brother is Darren....Welcome here,  I'm a newbie myself...newbie posting that is not with the tumor.  I've been in watch and wait since 2002.  Now its time for me to take action.  My tumor is half your size so i do still have time. I don't know what else to say that hasn't already been said except for I'll be praying for you as I do all here and so happy you have so many family around you.
Peace
Deb

zeek

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 09:07:23 pm »
Hello, I to have had one about the same size as yours over a year ago. I've walked in your shoes allready. If you want my story, please feel free to read my pass posts. Follow my progress. I think you'll be inspired on what I went thru, and where I am now. I'm doing great. this could be you!
I to was shocked, had the very same symptoms, had to go thru an aborted surgery, just to wait another month for the real one. Your young, tough, you'll be fine. You have alot of support on here, please take advantage of it as much as possible. I'll try to check in here more often to see how your doing, and if I can give advise. I was getting ready to post a new comment when I seen your post, I had to answer. Take Care, Zeek

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 09:13:11 pm »
Hi again Darin.  To get a picture uploaded...

Go to www.photobucket.com  Sign up, it's free.  Upload a photo that you want to use as your avatar.  It's best to crop the picture, if you know how, so that it is already close to square.  Otherwise it will distort it some.

You will be presented with many options for "linking" your photo after you have uploaded it.  You want to use the one that will start off something like "http://i395.photobucket.com/..."  Select that text, copy it, then head back here to the ana forums.  Go to Profile, then Forum Profile Information, then select "I have my own pic:" and paste the url you copied from photobucket into that spot.

Let me know if you get stuck :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 09:14:03 pm »
Darin -

here's how to post a picture:

Go to http://photobucket.com and sign up - it's free.

Once you move your photos to photobucket, it's easy to copy the image.  Look for a series of boxes under each photo that say "email & IM", "direct link", "HTML code" and "IMG code"  Position your mouse on IMG code and left click.  A yellow box that says "copied" will appear. 

Next go to the forum and create a new subject.  In the text of the post, just right click with your mouse and chose "paste".

You will see a set of brackets with the letters IMG in them and the address of your photobucket photo inserted between the brackets.

If you have numerous photos to post, just copy and paste each IMG code.

If you want to check and make sure your image(s) copied correctly, just "preview" your message before you hit "post" and you should see your photo in the preview box.

Good luck,

Jan

PS - if you don't want your pictures to be large, you can resize them in photobucket and make them smaller.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 09:18:35 pm »
Ooops!  I see Ernie beat me to the punch    8)

His instructions tell you how to post an avatar picture; mine tell you how to put a picture inside a post I believe.  So you should probably follow his.

Anyway, Darin -

are you consulting with the docs @ Michigan Ear?  They are a great group with a very good reputation.  I had my surgery with a doc from the Ear Institute of Chicago, but I hear (no pun intended) that location-wise, if they didn't exist that Michigan Ear would have been my best bet.

Jan

PS - Zeek,  good to see you  ;D

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Darin

• The Running Tumor
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 08:18:55 pm »
Thanks Ernie and Jan for the picture tips...I just tried it, we'll see if I did it right the first time!
I haven't talked to any other docs other than my neuro. I felt so comfortable with him, and he answered all questions and never acted in a hurry at all. I was very impressed. He did say that for any reason I'm not comfortable with him, it's ok to look elsewhere. He said he knows other neuro's that he could recommend to me at specialty places, I don't remember the specific place he named. I'm halfway between Detroit(2 and 1/2 hour drive) and Chicago(3 hrs. or so), so there is plenty of options relatively close, if I so desire.
Where my surgery will be(assuming future doc consults go well) is about a mile from my house, and my best friend actually works in radiology there(management), so I am grateful for those things. Even if I spend a week in the hospital, at least I will basically be able to see my house out the window! That will be awesome, instead of being in some big, crazy city. And I know lots of hospital employees, so that'll be great. They can give me the heads up on which hospital food to stay away from ;D
On a different topic...Has anyone had to make a career change due to post surgery challenges? I work in the telecom field, installing computer/phone cable, and phone systems. I told my doc that I use extension ladders up to twenty feet, and he said, "You don't anymore". For as long as I can remember, I've had an uneasiness about being on roofs, high ladders, etc. I always thought it was an irrational fear that I had to 'overcome'. Now I think it was my body telling me "Get your feet on the ground, ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!?" I can move more on the customer service/help desk style work if balance issues persist after surgery, short term and long term if necessary. 20 foot ladders are heavy, so I'm not really losing sleep over it, just trying to make lemonade.  ;) ...aaannndd done rambling.
- Darin
3cm AN on right side
Surgery July 1st, 2009
C'mon facial nerve, you can do it!

Keri

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 08:59:52 pm »
Hi Darin,
Welcome - glad you've found the forum helpful!

I do bookkeeping work for a small renovations contractor business - sometimes I have to go to the job sites. Occassionally I've hopped up on roofs or climbed a ladder or helped out a little with something. I'm three months post op and now I don't / won't do that. I could probably go up on a 1 story roof with a low pitch, but no heights or 'living on the edge.' I don't even want to be around the saws and stuff like that because they're so loud - i don't want to mess up my good ear.

My balance issues aren't too bad. I dont' feel dizzy really, just tipsy sometimes and I sometimes stagger like I'm drunk (usually when I'm just getting up from sitting).  I haven't tried riding my bike yet post op, but may soon - it's been raining too much. There are plenty of other bikers (Patrick, Seal) and triahletes on here, so I know you'll be able to find plenty of support. But, I guess my point is, climbing way up on a ladder may be a bad idea for you and I'm glad you have other options at your job.

If the triathlon is before your surgery in July, I'd still encourage you to do it. I think it only helps in recovery and with balance issues if you stay in shape right up until surgery time. I've done a quite a few half marathons and one marathon. Before my surgery, I was so afraid I was going to lose my fitness level after surgery that I was trying to find another marathon to do. My surgery was in January, and the only marathon I could find was in Miami, and I decided that was too far from Maryland! I'm glad now I didn't put myself 'through' another marathon right before surgery. Post surgery my doc said I could start running 3 weeks post op and I did, taking it slowly. I built up my mileage and was able to do a half 8 weeks post op. I'm not too fast at all, but running still is helping me with balance issues and 'wonky' head issues.

Thanks for sharing with us - looking forward to hearing when you get your surgery date.

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 11:39:35 pm »
Sorry you had to join us but welcome Darin.

Prepare yourself like you are competing in a triathlon. Get in your best shape and get ready to recover quickly. These things are a pain in the a$$ but they don't have to control your life. Strangely enough my life is actually better in many ways because of my AN. It will be different but that doesn't mean it has to be bad. It sounds to me like you already have a great attitude and a wonderful support system around you to help you through the initial difficult time. Once you get past that it gets easier.

You found the right place to talk and get great information or just vent if necessary.

Best of luck,
Bob

Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

tenai98

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 06:39:57 am »
HI and Welcome to our little family. I had my surgery a month ago and I will NOT be returning to my regular job as a driving instructor.  Being SSD I can imagine if I were instructing and a student needs to ask a question and I need them to face me so I can hear them (as I face them ) who is watching the road...Can you say CRASH!!!!! I am not leaving my job per se but it is not conducive to good busineess management to have a deaf instructor teaching in car....so I will continue with the inclass portion of my job as long as there are no kick backs from a classroom filled with up to 36 16 yr olds...Mind you it would only be 3 hrs then rush home for a headache pill...lol...I am hoping thru some form of medical miracle, that something is invented to give me my hearing back. Then I can go back to teaching incar. I love working with the teens. They are a special group of kids who only want theri older peers to accept them.

JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

heyct

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 08:59:33 am »
Hi Darin,

You're so young & healthy, I wish I had to go through this when I didn't have bills, mortgage, a child...responsibility. I'm old & healthy & enjoy mtn. biking, trail running, windsurfing. I'm hoping I'll get back up to speed post-op & hit the trails again.

Good luck with all your decisions,
Carolyn

Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

cin605

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 09:42:41 am »
Welcome Darrin! :)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old