Author Topic: Reviewing results of annual MRI ?  (Read 7940 times)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Reviewing results of annual MRI ?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 01:25:12 pm »
Jan:

Thanks for the update on your MRI results/consultation with your doctor.  I'm glad to learn that you had the discussion with and explanation from the doctor that you felt you needed and now have a better understanding of your MRI results and why they're good.  Your doctor sounds a lot like my neurosurgeon.  He'll give me as much time as I need or as little as I want to spend.  I do expect to have a thorough explanation of my latest MRI when I see him in about ten days.  I know he won't mind at all.   

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cmp

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 01:49:45 pm »
It's great that your "educational" appt worked out well, Jan! Sounds as though your doctor understood exactly where you're coming from and will accommodate your preference for more vs less info in the future.

I'm normally ok with less vs more myself (though that's actually been changing of late...), but I have to admit his topographical guide to your film (ie the scar tissue, the acoustic nerve, learning that your "defect" wasn't exactly a lifelong trait!) sounds awfully appealing to me. Certain medical/anatomical terms get thrown around so much, seems truly understanding them can only be a plus...
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 05:08:51 pm »
Thanks for the validation, Claire and for sharing the doctor story.  IMO any doctor who will listen to a patient's opinion for 1 1/2 hours should be knighted  ;)

K - absolutely no reason to apologize; as I told you before you were 100% right in what you said - which is what made me question myself.  But questioning myself also led me to have a much more comfortable conversation with my doctor by acknowledging that I thought I was being silly but that didn't change my need for peace of mind.

Lori - for someone who's never met me in person, you know me so well it's frightening!  I knew that without an appt. I would have driven myself crazy.  I explained that one to the doc too.  At this point, he probably knows me just about as well as you do.  I didn't mention the tattoo though!  A girl's got to have some secrets  ;D

Jim, it sounds like we both have great doctors  :)

Carrie - although you say you usually like less vs more, I encourage you to spend time with your doc going over your next MRI.  I work for a medical association, but I'm an accountant so I am totally clueless when it comes to medical terminology.  Viewing the radiologist's report by myself made me feel like I needed a medical dictionary just to get past the first sentence  ::)  I found my doc's "tour of my head" absolutely amazing.  I also understood the report so much better once he translated it for me.  You know, if these MDs would just talk in terms the average person can understand, I think patients would be a lot less confused  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 10:04:02 am »
.  I didn't mention the tattoo though!  A girl's got to have some secrets  ;D

Jan

Well, at least make him buy you a drink first!  And can we all take a tour of your head when we're in Chicago sleeping in your back yard?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 05:34:52 pm »
Well, at least make him buy you a drink first!  And can we all take a tour of your head when we're in Chicago sleeping in your back yard?

Did you miss the symposium agenda in the latest issues of ANA Notes  ???  It was right there on page 3 "Tour of Jan's Head" given by her favorite doc.  I'm even sponsoring this event  ;D

Oh, and I think that Steve's buying drinks for all the forumites, as well as all the doctors, in attendance, so that won't be an issue  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 06:54:06 pm »
Great!  Will this be like a Disney ride where we sit in little boats while music plays and we admire all the parts of your head as they sing some catchy song?  Oh wait, it was your hands that are big, not your head, right?   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 10:13:53 pm »
Well, now that you ask, I have to confess that the plans for this event haven't been finalized yet.

But there may be something to that whole Disney boat idea and the annoying (I mean catchy) song.  I'm remembering "It's a Small World" here  ::)  I wonder how much money it would cost to come up with those little boats?

BTW, just how many times do they sing that darned song while the boat is floating through those various worlds  ???

Yes, it is my hands that are big - at least that's what Steve said.  I'll bet he's glad he's not knitting me gloves  :D

Jan

wendysig

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 11:49:58 pm »
Hi Jan -
Just tjought I'd add my two cents worth.  I'm glad yo had your appointment with your doc.  I was sure he would understand you need to see where your AN wasn't and  explain the report.  Good doctors understand what an emotional issue this is for patients even though it may be an every day event to them.  I give your doc a lot of credit for doing what he did.  I'm sure he didn't" mind holding your hand" a little.  He sournds like a really good person.  I'm glad you have the peace of mind you were seeking and can now relax about the matter. 

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!