Author Topic: April 1st = 1 Year  (Read 7137 times)

satman

April 1st = 1 Year
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:34:53 am »
Hey gang,Apr 1st will be one year post-op for me.
I was wondering if anybody still had some balance issues that far post-op ?
If you did'nt dont worry I got ya covered,starting to wonder if I'm normal ?
back to my old saying "the surgery was the easy part".
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

LADavid

Re: April 1st = 1 Year
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:22:37 pm »
Hey Satman
Congratulations on the anniversary.  I'm with you on the surgery thing -- in retrospect, that was the easiest part.  I'm only four months out and balance seems to still be the biggest issue -- although the lack of taste is really annoying.  It seems like everything I do to help my balance, like exercises, only seems to aggrivate it.  And walking heel-to-toe with my eyes closed is a ridiculous effort.  I'm planning on running the Revlon run in May and I'll really be disappointed if I'm still weaving and stumbling around.  I'm interested in what others have to say about balance.  Does it ever really return to normal?
Good luck with your balance.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:25:46 pm »
Satman -

congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!  1 year is definitely a big milestone.

I'll be celebrating my 1 year anniversary about 8 weeks after you on May 31st!

While I don't have any noticeable balance issues, lately it has come to my attention that I'm not as "stable" as I thought I was.  Just yesterday, I was taking a rather long walk and I realized that I was getting dizzy and experiencing "wonkyheadedness" plus my balance was a little shaky.  I really thought I was over this months ago, but I guess it's still somewhat there.  On the average day, I don't notice it at all, but there are times it does crop up.

Hang in there; you've come a long way,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 01:28:04 pm »
Hi John:  If I'm walking slowly, I find it more difficult with balance than when I walk at a brisk pace.
Walking in the dark still triggers balance problems;  also, walking on uneven surfaces is a bit difficult,
though they're not as bad as when 1st post op.
I'm 1 year & 9 months post op.

So, April Fool's Day is it?  Remember how far you've come since then.....     & CONGRATULATIONS on
making it thru the 1st year of healing.

Always good thoughts,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Catflower

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 02:28:03 pm »
April 17 will be my one-year surgery anniversary.  I'm in the same boat as the rest of you as far as balance is concerned.  I still get overwhelmed with a lot of visual input as well, such as being inside the Mall.  Given the economy this may not be a bad thing.  I still find it hard to look at something to the side when I'm walking (like window shopping).

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 02:34:56 pm »
I can't believe its anniversary time for so many (myself included... 2 yrs April 3). 

Happy wellness anniversary to you all!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 02:58:08 pm »
Catflower, I'm definitely with you on the difficulty window shopping!   :'(  If I'm looking straight ahead, I can manage to look like it's not my first day with my new feet.  Try to turn to look at something while I'm walking and it's not pretty!

And Nancy, I have the same problems when it's dark or when I try to walk slowly.  I feel like I have to concentrate so much more on walking straight now - which I don't think many people think much about normally.  Then again, no one ever said we were normal.

Satman - congrats on the upcoming anniversary.  As far as we're concerned - you're completely normal!! ;D
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 03:29:03 pm »
Satman:

Congratulations on your one-year surgery 'anniversary', John  :) 

Although my balance was shot just prior to my surgery, it was never all that bad, post-op - but I can still relate.  I don't usually have any trouble in the dark, in malls, etc. but walking backwards is still a challenge.  Fortunately, the need to walk backwards doesn't come up very often.  However, occasionally I'll step backward and inadvertently bump into something that was behind me (that I didn't notice) and I'll have trouble regaining my equilibrium as quickly as I would like, although I've never fallen, just momentarily stumbled.  I consider this a challenge to be met and conquered, and it will be....eventually.

My 2 year surgery anniversary isn't for another 10 weeks or so but I'm pleased that the time has gone so quickly and that I've shed almost all of the few post-op 'reminders' of my AN surgery.  What hasn't been resolved is either very minor and/or something I've fully adjusted to by now, so, I'm good.  :)

I'm sure your balance will improve in time but, as we can all attest, recovery never comes soon enough.  Keep up the fight to get back to normalcy, John.  You may be struggling and occasionally frustrated but your indomitable spirit is an inspiration to many.   I wish you continued healing and more good days, my friend.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

robynabc

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:13:51 pm »
I would like to say Congrats too.  I remember reading your posts and how difficult things were for you.  You are a very sweet, strong person.  I am so glad it has been a year.  A great milestone.

Sending Sunshine.

Robyn  :)
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

satman

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 03:26:09 am »
Thanks for all the replies,as usual you guys are always there for me,whenever I am having a bad day you guys lift my spirits,
When looking back, I as in all of us have come such a long way,but I must say ,if I had to do it all over again I would prefer a bullet [not really]
I can remember it like it was yesterday [thank god it was not], My heart goes out to everybody that is facing this demon ,I will say for me the best therapy is right here on this forum,without it I would be lost,Thanks to each and everyone of you,and congrats to all posties with anniversary dates coming up.
We've come along way baby !

jerseygirl

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:35:04 am »
Satman,

Congratulations on your first year anniversary! We both had huge tumors and , yes,  I had balance issues for a few years the first time I had surgery. The good news is that human bodies continuosly improve and the balance gets better. So much better, that, in fact, I had absolutely no balance issues 19 years later with AN regrowth that was pushing on the brainstem! The only way you won't improve is if you do nothing at all, so continue challenging yourself and hang in there!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

calimama

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 07:11:52 am »
Just wondering if these balance issues create any problems with driving?? I had a similar question about SSD... whether this was an issue for driving (particularly left ear).

Thoughts?

I have my GK consult today!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

calimama

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 07:21:58 am »
Sorry, more questions on the same note...

Is the balance nerve automically cut (no way around this?) during surgery? Or does it depend on the individual, and could the need to cut it be predicted in advance from the MRI?

If there are no (perceivable) balance issues before the surgery, will this mean balance/dizziness is better or worse (all else equal) following surgery?

Does -everyone- have balance issues after surgery (this kind of gets back to my first question i guess)? Is the long recovery (sounds like many are 1 year out and still wobbly) typical??

I am a runner (well, not so much since having my babe) and have run a lot of half marathons and the NYC marathon (HIGHLY recommended). There are some charities out there (diabetes, MS etc) that encourage oridinary people to train for and run exciting marathons around the world (some costs covered) to raise awareness and funds (for research and treatment). Perhaps we could start "team AN"! If blind people can do, why not SSD wobbly ones? Just a wild thought...

I meet with the surgeon next week to discuss treatment... breathe....breathe....

Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Catflower

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 07:28:16 am »
Just wondering if these balance issues create any problems with driving?? I had a similar question about SSD... whether this was an issue for driving (particularly left ear).

Thoughts?

I have my GK consult today!

The balance doesn't cause any real problems driving since it's the car that's in motion and not your body, as in walking.  The only problem I have is needing to look quickly from side to side or if I hear a horn blow I'm not quite sure where it's comming from.  I try to park where I can pull out instead of needing to back out.

satman

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 07:34:33 am »
Hi calimama,my brainstem was swollen big time and thats what caused my balance issue,My balance is a lot better but I still bump into walls,turn around to fast and lose it,etc...
as far as driving,it's more of a vestibular issue than balance,but there is therapy,and it does work.
Please know that some people have long recovery time and some are back to doing things as usual within 2 weeks,everybody is different.
It all depends on so many factors as in,size, location,your DR.s exp,etc.
Try to relax and just get it over with,you are in the right place here and you will have so many more questions but try not to worry about them.
here's how my DR put it to me"John, there are 100 steps to go through,you are on step one". Breathe...............................