Author Topic: Interesting Book  (Read 2438 times)

epc1970

Interesting Book
« on: November 20, 2009, 06:01:34 pm »
I recently read a book called Curveball: When Life Throws You a Brain Tumor by Liz Holzemer. It is the story of a woman's brain tumor journey. She had a baseball sized menigioma. It is her journey from diagnosis thru recovery. While she did not have an AN, I saw so much of what I have been thru in her story. I found myself tearing up at parts and laughing at parts because she is able to accuratly depict some of the wierd things that that are unique to those of us who are going thru our own brain tumor journey. Here's an example: On her "top ten brain tumor survivor benefit list" #4 is "I'm on a first name basis with all of the MRI techs at every hospital in my vicinity". It is not just funny, her story is very inspiring and in the end gives you hope that there is truly life after a brain tumor. You can get it at Amazon if you are interested in purchasing it. I am in the process of having family and friends read it because often times I have a hard time explaining what this journey has been like for me and I think this book does a nice job with this.
Erin

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Interesting Book
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:06:14 pm »
Erin ~

The book sounds worth reading.  Thanks for the heads-up.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 08:09:51 pm »
That's so ironic - I just posted that on my FB status the last time I had a CT scan - "It's pretty bad when all of the imaging techs at hospital know you by name...'Haven't I scanned you before?'"

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 11:19:58 am »
Erin,

This book definitely sounds like it's worth getting and I plan to when I go to the mall this weekend.  Thanks for letting us know!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 08:41:15 am »
I also just read this book and whole heartedly recommend it to everyone here.  Whether a meningioma or an acoustic neuroma, so much of what the author went through mirrors our own personal journeys.  And, she tells the story with great humor and humanity. 

Another book that I also just finished is "I Had Brain Surgery: What's Your Excuse" - a very funny book and one that chronicles the ups and downs of recovering from brain surgery of any kind. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

epc1970

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 05:07:41 pm »
Debbi
Thanks for the suggestion of the other book you have read. I almost ordered it from Amazon this past Sunday but was unsure if it was any good. Thanks!
Erin