Author Topic: Crazy questions  (Read 2574 times)

Brewers7

Crazy questions
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:23:37 am »
Does your eyeball sweat?  I have noticed that when I am sweating, my eye seems to have plenty of moisture.  I have wanted to ask my opthamologist, but too afraid.  Any one else have a crazy question or is it just me?
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

kenneth_k

Re: Crazy questions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:03:05 pm »
I'll have to pass on this one.

But I do want to comment on the topic. I think it is perfectly normal to have strange sensations and to be reluctant discuss them with a doctor. Many of us have seen too many doctors for too long time.

So, this forum is great for dealing with these issues. Either to get advice or reassurance that one should actually ask a doctor.

Hope someone chimes in.

Kenneth

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:37:57 pm »
Your question intrigued me so I went to "Yahoo Answers". No one admitted to being an expert, but those who answered reasonably pointed out that:

"Sweating through the skin is how the body cools itself down and there are no sweat glands or skin in your eyes. Your eyes, on the other hand, might water because your tear ducts secrete fluid either when you cry or to wash your eyeballs if they're irritated in some way."

"they have no sweat glands, tear glands are different than sweat glands in that they don't produce oil and they release stress neurotransmitters from the body. (one reason why people cry in really emotional situations)"

:'(
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:52:15 pm »
Thanks for your responses.  I have been curious since I cannot cry out of my left eye but it produces moisture when I run.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:58:43 pm »
Not a crazy question at all!  My left eye doesn't tear at all but when I walk, ride a bike or work enough to sweat my eye tears a bit.  I first noticed it back in 1993 when I was trying to get in shape for a 7 mile walk, it was a nice discovery as it meant I didn't have to stop and use the eye ointment as much. Also noticed that if I choke/cough hard enough my eye will tear.  Told eye doc that I didn't plan on doing any of the above to keep from using eye ointment all the time, he laughed.  Don't be afraid to ask the doctor, sometimes they have the answers and sometime we teach them something.  Take Care, Jill :D
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.