Author Topic: I had a small amount of tumor left on my facial nerve. Likelihood of regrowth?  (Read 4928 times)

Richardspengler

Hi, it is me again. Mind is working overtime now that I am 12 days post op. I had my surgery at USC with Dr Friedman and Dr Giannotta. Dr Giannota made the decision to leave a small amount of tumor on my facial nerve to preserve it. I see a lot of discussions about tumor regrowth but I am not clear on how probable it is. Dr G told me that it depends on where it is left. If it is left on a piece of the brain or a blood vessel then it is highly likely the remnant will grow because of a rich blood supply. He said that a remnant left on the facial nerve may not grow because the nerve has a very poor blood supply.

Question: for those of you that had a remnant left on your facial nerve did you experience regrowth? If you did then how quickly and how did it have to be treated?

Thank you!!
==================
MRI on 11/21/16 revealed AN on right side of 1.8 x 2.4 x 2.0 cm
Symptoms:  facial numbness, tinnitus, "brain fog", fatigue and general unwell feeling

Retrosig surgery at USC with Dr Freidman on Dec 13, 2016
SSD on right, facial weakness

LakeErie

I had a subtotal removal of a large tumor in Oct 2011 with the remnant on the facial nerve which had been severely thinned by the tumor. My experienced surgeon ( 600+ AN resections ) advised me post op that regrowth was probable but no one could know for sure.
I did have regrowth and at 5 years out was advised gamma knife was the best procedure. I had the GK on Oct 12 this year at the Cleveland Clinic Gamma Knife Center. I will have a 4 month follow up with MRI to get a look at what "is going on in there" in February. The plan is to monitor the tumor remnant for 2 years to  determine if the GK was successful. 
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

PaulW

A lot depends on how much and where it was left, I believe the chances of regrowth when only a thin sliver is left is around 2% which is roughly double the odds of a total removal. A small dose of radiation normally stops the regrowth, if it does happen.
Big tumours or ones that grow aggressively are more prone to regrowth
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
I'm no doctor and I, thankfully, haven't had regrowth.  My surgery was almost 10 years ago and my AN was removed "completely" - which is a subjective term meaning that my docs believe it was completely removed but can't guarantee that.  This is typical of all AN surgeries; there are no absolute guarantees. 

That said, even one cell left behind has the potential for regrowth.  Based on what my docs told me, the chances of regrowth are around 2%. 

Most times when any "significant" (again, a subjective term) remnants are left the docs choose to radiate it.  Have you discussed that possibility with your docs? 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NEbluebells

I had my surgery done in May, and a sliver was left (surgical report said 6-8mm). I just went in for my MRI yesterday and am waiting to see the results, so I'll let you know. I won't lie, I've been a little worried about the regrowth, too, but time helped me not think about it so much.
2.2 x 1.9 x 0.9 AN diagnosed Mar 16
No sense in being pessimistic, it won't work anyway ;)
Translab at House May 16 - Couldn't have asked for better results!

JLR

Hi I'm 3 months post op. Surgeon left 5% on facial nerve. My face is coming along. Had facial paralysis. Still do. But it's better. But had MRI today and looks like tumor growing. Will know for sure this week. If so, will need radiation.  Will the facial nerve be compromised again? The AN removal and post op is a very long journey. Would like your thoughts on this. Thanks much, Joan

lorigasper

Hi there -
I had a remnant on my auditory nerve.  I decided, after 2 1/2 years, to have the last of it radiated.  The radiologist said the remnant was growing - thought my doctor and I couldn't see it on the MRIs.  I decided to play it safe and polish it off while I was younger rather than older....and insured.  I really have had no side effects from my GK and the neurologist didn't even need to see me after viewing the 1 year MRI.  Hoping things work as well for you.  :)
4cm AN diagnosed 4/13
retrosigmoid 6/13
tarsorraphy 6/13, SSD, rt side facial paralysis
tarsorraphy reversed 7/14
gold weight and scleral lens 7/14
CROS
12/7 nerve graft 12/14

JLR

Hi I see you had surgery in 2013. Is your eye improved. A short time with eyelid stitched then reversed. How was that. my dr although eye has improved wants to stitch corner of right eye. I'm 3 months out and still have a bit of facial palsy. My dry eye symptoms are way better just a problem with the blink. How was the radiation. Thank u for telling me the was no additional palsy from it. My tumor was left on facial nerve. Thanks. 

JLR

Hi MRI shows the 5% of tumor left on facial nerve is growing again. Radiation was recommended sooner than later. I had CK 2010 and apparently it's ok to radiate again. I thought not. Anyway I need some words of wisdom. I'm progressing nicely finally with my walking and balance and my facial paralysis and don't want to be at square one.  Many thanks. Joan

JLR

Had MRI. The residual tumor appears to have grown but because I'm still recovering - so is the tumor. I'm to have another MRI in 3 months to see if the tumor remains the same. The option would be radiation with the hope the facial nerve isn't further compromised. My second opinion concurred with the first. So I will wait. Now if I can only blink...Joan

ANSydney

Joan, good luck with your MRI in 3 months time. Good to hear that your facial paralysis is progressing nicely. Hopefully that's a good sign that blink is on its way.

Eddie

I had complete removal of my tumor and my surgeon still gave me a 3-5% chance of regrowth simply because during the surgery he doesn't know if he got 100% of it on a microscopic level. I am due for my second year post-op MRI scan in August and I still believe that everything will be fine :)
-July 2015 - Woke up with congested left ear and lasted about 2 weeks - then came Tinnitus
-9/16/15 - ENT doctor diagnosed with Tinnitus
-10/2/15 - MRI Scan reveals 2.4 X 2.4 x 2.2 cm AN
-12/8/15 - Surgery NYP Dr. Michael Sisti
-12/9/15 - 100% tumor removal all nerves saved :D