Author Topic: Greetings All! One week Post Op  (Read 4142 times)

beachmommy

Greetings All! One week Post Op
« on: March 31, 2010, 11:40:07 am »
Hi Everyone!!! :D

I would have been back sooner to post, except that my husband has been keeping me away from screens of all types, tvs, computers, etc.

Dr. Kveton did the translab last Wednesday. He said the surgery went 'perfectly' and he would be 'shocked' if it didn't help me.

All of my facial nerve function is fine and I can squeeze my eyes tight, make fish lips, smile, do all the tongue movements, you name it.

The nursing staff neglected to give me diazepam for the first twelve hours post op, so I dry heaved violently for twelve hours, until the shift change. The night nurse took one look at me and within five minutes, I had the magic 5 mgs that got me to stop spinning and allowed me to sleep.

I awoke with the mother of all wonky heads, and could not do any pt, and they wouldn't let me go home and I was angry because it was their fault, not mine. Dr. Kveton was none too pleased either. Never saw that same day nurse again, and was out and home in 47 hours. Dr. K' and or his fellow practioners came in to evaluate me six times in the 47 hours I was in the hospital. I was incredibly well cared for.

The care coordinator sent me home with a walker and made me do sideways steps on the stairs, but I just went to my first PT session out of the house and aced about 85% of the baselines. No more walker and no cane, just hold on to my dear husband's arm. I can go grocery shopping and push the cart so long as someone gets the items, because I am not allowed to bend or lift yet.

I feel great. I fatigue easily, and I have very little uncontrolled eye movement. I do feel a little wonky headed when waking or getting to bed.

I did the entire thing with absolutely no pain medication. None. I had a zofran drip going non-stop which was useless until I got that 5 mgs of diazepam, and then after that my stomach settled down on its own. They sent me home with a script for zofran which I am not needing to take, a script for diazepam which I am not needing to take, and they wanted to send me home with a script for percocet or some other non-narcotic pain medication which I flat out denied to even accept.

So far so good.

They were dripping 450 mgs of sodium into my bloodstream an hour, and no spin issues. My husband surprised me with a Chinese dumpling the other day, no sodium issues.

Hopefully I will make a breathtaking recovery!

I wanted to thank you so much for alking me through that last pre-operative week, and I know that more than most people you will all appreciate the enormity of the goodness that I am writing about.

I adore all of you, and will keep you updated.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Greetings All! One week Post Op
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:25:47 pm »
Congratulations!!! Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:48:59 pm »
Hi, Beachmommy ~

Wow!  You seem to have enjoyed a successful surgery with few post-op complications.  This is very encouraging. 

As an AN surgery patient that had a similar outcome, I'm fairly confident in stating that you'll be back to your normal routine in a few weeks.  Of course the usual caveat to not 'overdo it' has to be applied and, in my experience, it actually takes close to a year before you'll feel totally normal.  Realistically, there are usually a few very minor 'reminders'; of the surgery but, based on your 1-week 'report', I doubt you'll have any real 'issues' to deal with, other than your own impatience to get back to normal.  May your splendid recovery continue apace.  We'll look forward to your updates.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:00:14 pm »
Hi Beachmommy-

So glad to read your post!  It sounds like you are having a textbook (good) recovery.  Just don't overdo it! 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 03:52:10 pm »
Great update.

Congrats on a successful surgery.

Get lots of rest,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sunfish

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 07:55:29 am »
Yup. Hard not to overdo.  Give yourself permission to take it easy, or you'll wind up like me or worse. I had CK two weeks ago, and didn't tolerate the whole process well, although I went to the docs this morning and now I'm back to 100%.  I definitely thought the whole thing would be a walk in the park, and I went back to work too soon.  Wound up having to stay home for an extra 4 days, doctors orders.   I accepted lots of help at first, but probably tried to jump back into my schedule too quick.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Cheryl R

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 10:32:32 am »
Beachmommy,   I don't think there any of us who has had surgery just forget how we are supposed to behave and oops do a bend over and then know afterwards why not.    One time you should be ok and take the stronger pain pill and  it will help.    Even once it is past time and we are told we can,one can still get a funny feeling from doing it and know we still have to take it easy.   
          You are so soon past surgery and are doing so good otherwise!                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:38:52 am »
It's good to let your husband see what it's like to be a "stay-at-home" mom (like you actually get to stay at home...more like a stay in the car and drive kids all over town mom).  We were in the same situation and I remember when my husband went back to work after my surgery and I was back to running things he said "I can't wait to go back to work.  I don't ever want your job."  That's right he doesn't!

You just have to learn to let some things slide for a little while.  I tend to be a little "OCD", as my husband puts it, and I just had to learn that it wasn't a big deal if some things didn't get done.  As long as the important stuff is taken care of, you can let the little things wait.

But, sounds like you're doing great, and learning from your mistakes!  Hope your recovery continues to go smoothly and you're back to your old self soon!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 02:57:27 pm »
Beachmommy:

You bring back some memories. My first post-op headache was triggered by me bending over. Still have trouble with that til this day, almost 2 years post-op.

Please take it easy with Tylenol. It worked wonders for my headaches, but I was getting rebound headaches. Ended up getting Rx meds to get me off of Tylenol.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 07:58:02 am »
Even after a year, I still have problems with bending over.  If I am doing something that requires me to be in that position longer than a minute or two, I will get just enough of a headache to remind me that bending over is a no-no for me!  It's just a small souvenir of the whole experience, and I can live with it.  :)  Congrats on a great recovery!  Your husband sounds like a keeper for sure.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

ksiwek

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 09:39:23 am »
Thanks for keeping us posted!  Glad to hear you are doing so well, defn helps to ease my anxiety about my upcoming surgery!  So happy for you and the recovery path you are on!  Please continue to post your post op 'pearls' of wisdom...they are helpful....God Bless! 
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)