Author Topic: Bad veins...  (Read 6376 times)

cindyj

Bad veins...
« on: August 17, 2009, 02:28:20 pm »
This is not AN related, but knew somebody would have some advice/thoughts for me.  I was at the doc's office today - had to give blood and I really, really tried to be a big girl about it - after 6 tries and two nurses, they finally managed to get a bit, only to come back a few minutes later to tell me they couldn't use it as it had clotted.  They were going to send a third person to try, however, I kindly told them I'd come back another day...valium induced.   This is not the first time I've had vein trouble - it's an ongoing thing these days (I can only give on one side as the other side had lymph nodes removed.)  They suggested I drink a lot of water before coming back next week to try again.  Do you guys have any other suggestions?  I know my veins have been beaten up for the past few years - if I give them a break, will they improve? 

Thanks...feeling quite wimpy about this :P

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Bad veins...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 02:48:15 pm »
Cindy ~

I'm sorry to learn you had to go through this.  My wife has the exact same problem.  She recommends telling the blood drawing nurse/technician to use a pediatric butterfly needle.  This is a very fine, short needle that is (obviously, by the name) used on children.  Apparently it can also be used on big girls.  ;)  She also advised that you drink as much water as feasible just prior to the blood draw.  Also, if you require multiple blood tests, try to use the same facility every time.  They'll have the pediatric butterfly needle method noted on your chart.  This way, you won't have to deal with the traumatic experience of being jabbed numerous times and coming to the edge of tears, as often happened to my wife until a friend (an experienced RN) advised her to ask the nurse at the facility to use the pediatric butterfly needle because of her tiny, easily collapsed veins.  It worked.  I trust this will be helpful for you, next time. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:33:35 pm »
I too have terrible veins.  Had blood work done a couple of weeks ago and the gal had to take it out of my foot...ouch!!  I always drink a ton of water.  I used to do jump n jacks to get the blood going.  I thought next time I would try standing on my head.  The butterfly they use for children is the ONLY one they can use on me, but I still have huge bruises and bumps and I have had the best vampires around try!  Even a couple of cocky doctors have tried their expertise.  I think some us just don't have good veins!!  I really think they need to come up with a new way to draw blood!  Good luck!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 03:39:48 pm »
Great minds and all that, but the pediatric butterfly needle is the ONLY needle that Jenni can use as well.  Her veins are good but they roll its difficult even for highly experienced techs to stick them when needed.  So, count my vote for pedi butterfly needles.  They take a bit longer, but it's definitely less painful than being stuck multiple times.

Good luck.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 07:52:22 pm »
Me too!!
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 08:31:05 pm »
pediatric butterfly is always great! :)

Cindy, my veins "roll" when a needle/IV is inserted in me.. and I always warn the lab tech in advance of it.  They are like rubber and needles "bounce" off of them. They can see the "juicy ones" visually but have to remind them that they roll and that I have "sticky blood" (I take daily baby aspirin).

Try the pediatric butterfly next time..... I'm with the others on this one!

Hugglez... you know it!
xoxo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 08:34:06 pm »
I am blessed with extremely good veins, and I am fair so they are easy to see, but I am going to tuck this tidbit away for my mother-in-law's benefit. Last time she was black and blue from the phlebotomist thumping on her arm trying to raise the vein.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 09:35:49 pm »
Oh--and don't take the valium, if you were serious about that.  It will make your veins even smaller.
Sharon

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 10:13:37 pm »
Cindy -

drink lots of water and stay away from anything with caffeine in it - colas included.  The butterfly is also a great idea.

I donate blood regularly and lately have been having a problem with the vein they typically use.  Up until now it's been a fantastic vein, however, I went through many years of fertility treatments with blood tests twice daily for months on end and scar tissue has finally become an issue.  On occasion the person drawing my blood has also positioned the needle wrong and it has ended up against the vein wall which will stop the flow of blood.  Moral of the story, try not to let them use the same vein all the time - and also make sure whoever is drawing your blood is good at it.  If they stick you more than twice, ask for someone else.

Good luck,

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jill Marie

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:45:19 pm »
Don't tell me there is a correlation between people that have stingy veins and AN's!  The nurse at the doctors office has given up on me and I go straight to the lab for the draw.  I didn't know it tell now but I guess I'm not a tough case compared to most of you.  Nice to know about the butterfly encase the draws get tougher as I age.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 06:47:09 am »
Thanks so much, guys!  I felt really bad after posting this because it is really such a small thing in comparison to everything else all of you have to deal with here...I should not have come on the forum til I had "recovered" from my traumatic event.  But, I knew you would have some great thoughts, so I'm glad I mentioned it now.

I usually do warn the nurse that it might be tough, then I worry that I might make her nervous and it would be even harder.  I will try to insist they use the pediatric needles...Yes, I was serious, Sharon, about taking a valium before I go back in next week, but now I won't do that - thanks!  Although, I'm due for another MRI in a few weeks and know I'll need one for that...hmmm.  I am a coke-aholic, but I'll try to get the tests done prior to consuming too much.  I have often thought they need to supply "laughing gas" for those of us who hate needles and have uncooperative veins ;)  My mother never had any worry about me becoming a heroin addict!

So, I'm drinking lots of water, no coke, no valium, doing jumping jacks to get the blood flowing, requesting/demanding a butterfly needle and someone who knows what they're doing...I'll let you khow how it goes.  Again, sorry for whining yesterday, but thanks for putting up with me :)  Just love this forum and all of you!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 10:31:53 am »
Interesting post because after my second AN surgery they had a hell of time with me because my veins kept "collapsing." It eventually fixed itself, but it would be interesting to know if there was some correlation between the AN & veins.  ???

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 04:03:19 pm »
I don't think it is the AN causing the vein problem as too many  people have poor veins.    I hated starting IVs and if could ever see one of young nurses who seemed to like it, I let them do it.               I also have terrible veins.               In 2006 with the 2 surgeries 2 weeks apart,I ended up having a jugular done in the neck since none were showing up.          Luckily it was done during surgery.                     My last MRI was done in Iowa City and I told them to put a lock in ahead of time.    Of course they didn't but did get the contrast in with 2 pokes.          I had been doing MRIs where I used to work and they knew to do a lock ahead.    More than once it was a 24 gauge little tiny one.                       I had problems too with the non AN surgery this summer.   The first was infiltrated by the time I was in recovery.                            The eldery have poor veins and we aren't elderly yet!
                                                                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cheryl R

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 04:19:47 pm »
Also using a warm pack helps with veins too.          I have more than once hid in a restroom and warmed up my hands but most places have a warm pack also.                  Cheryl R       
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 08:02:50 am »
Nah, no correlation between veins & an's.  I have big fat veins and lab techs always smile happily when they see my arms.  Especially the right one.  It practically pops out of my skin begging to be stuck.  I exaggerate a bit of course.