Author Topic: Still looking for answers  (Read 4779 times)

Betty-jane

Still looking for answers
« on: March 12, 2009, 12:09:52 am »
Hi everyone, new to posting but have been lurking for awhile...hoping to find answers.  MRI found AN Sept.07.  watch and wait for 1 year.  Second MRI Sept.08 and found AN had grown, recently saw Dr. for talk..surgery or radiation.  I don't really want to leave it in there, but scarry if you end up with more problems than before.  I also have a business to look after. In that respect radiation would be better. I didn't realize short term memory, fatigue and some speach problems were things that happened before surgery. I am finding more symptoms appearing week by week.  If you have radiation do your symptoms go away? I get stabbing pain in and around my ear...sometimes for a few hours or just a short time.  Does that dissapear?  How do you choose? 
Had hearing loss right ear, first MRI Oct./07, AN found - 12mm  (wait and see)
Sept./08 second MRI - AN grew to 17mm, waited from then to Feb.16 to see Dr. to see when surgery to be.
Told it could be up to a year wait.

sgerrard

Re: Still looking for answers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 12:20:44 am »
If you have radiation do your symptoms go away?

I had radiation a year and a half ago. My main symptoms are hearing loss, tinnitus, and strange pressure sensations in my ears. I did feel some of that short term memory loss, fatigue, and losing words right after treatment, but that is all long gone. My hearing went down a bit more, and has been stable for a year now. The tinnitus has faded into the background, at least in my mind, which is the only place that counts. I do still get strange pressure sensations in my ears from time to time, especially when the weather changes, but not as often and not as intense.

In case you haven't worked it out yet, that is about as close to a yes as you get when it comes to acoustic neuromas.  :D

I don't think you can count on getting more relief of symptoms from surgery than from radiation, so that would not be a basis for deciding in my mind. I think radiation worked out well for me, but you do have to investigate it and see if you are comfortable with it before deciding for yourself.

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined in.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Keeping Up

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 04:46:55 am »
Welcome Betty-jane

Wondering which crazy place might have a year wait for surgery - should have known it would be right here at home.  I am a Torontian - and also a wait & watcher with a small AN (asymptomatic most of the time, save minor hearing loss and tinnitus), a raft of little kiddos and an income!  (Radiation - gamma knife only in Canada seems to have a much shorter waiting time, at least in Toronto.)

No advice - other than keep posting.  I am finding none of the options are great so just wait for my first 6 mnth MRI.  I am hoping the AN hasn't grown ... and suspect that is what will happen, but we shall see.

You will find every assortment of decision making on these boards - you just need to ask lots of questions and figure out what the right solution is for you.

Please keep posting because I am learning from all the people ahead of me!

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

carter

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 11:04:25 am »
i am 8 weeks post ck.  had my first follow up MRI Tuesday....  to get results today.  teh fatigue is greatly reduced.   i have had no swelling problems ....  i now wait to see if it worked and to see if any issues develop

i thought that i had asked all of the right questions when i talked to dr's.   i did make the right decision for me  - to have ck  .... but i would have asked a lot more questions about the staff, who to do what, when to see dr, side effects, and follow up care, etc.   this is one area that i did not see addressed early on.   

we all have the litle bas^*^&*(rds - soi have learned to relish life even more and the ones that i love..  i ended up using gut feelings.

Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:57 pm »
Hi, Betty-jane - and welcome.

I'm sorry you have an acoustic neuroma to deal with but I hope you've found the forums helpful.

As one who underwent both surgery and radiation I'll offer a few observations.  I had total loss of hearing in the AN-affected ear, severe fatigue as well as a drastic deficit in my ability to taste and regular, intermittent stabbing pains on the side of my skull where (as I learned) the AN was located.  I underwent retrosigmoid surgery to 'debulk' (reduce the mass of) the tumor on June 7th, 2006, and those symptoms disappeared.  I underwent follow-up radiation 3 months later, as planned, to destroy the remaining tumor's DNA.  Both surgery and radiation were successful.  The tumor is 'dying' and I've never experienced the symptoms again. 

Be aware that radiation, although non-invasive and less traumatic to the body than surgery, carries it's own risks, although it may be the best choice for you.  You'll have to decide that question.  We're here to help.  Feel free to ask and you'll very likely receive answers from those who can speak from experience and with understanding for your situation - because they've 'been there'. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

suboo73

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »
Hi Betty-Jane,

I still am looking for answers, too - but this is THE place to be, lots of wonderful folks here with lots of knowledge and great resources.  So take a deep breath and keep researching.  I know the healthcare system is al ittle different in Canada, but you should learn all your options and choose the best available when you need to.

So sorry you had to join the AN club.  My sister and i are both here, too - most people on this forum understand, can say 'been there, done that.'

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers during your AN journey.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

Betty-jane

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 01:03:19 am »
Thanks everyone...  ;D for the info and the support.
Had hearing loss right ear, first MRI Oct./07, AN found - 12mm  (wait and see)
Sept./08 second MRI - AN grew to 17mm, waited from then to Feb.16 to see Dr. to see when surgery to be.
Told it could be up to a year wait.

Vivian B.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 08:15:47 pm »
Hi Betty Jane,

Replying a little late. I am too in the same position than you. I live in Toronto. Surgeons have discussed both surgery and radiation. Both have difrerent risk factors. From what I gather, surgery has a longer period of recovery. Regrowth seems to be somewhat common in some cased. I am watch and wait for now, but also would like to come to terms with treatment when I have to choose. Very hard to choose and the more I read on the forum, the more I realize it is an individual decision altogether that you need to be comfortable with. What to do???????????????? Don't worry, everyone on the forum has been there at some point. Let us know if you find out any new stats.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 09:38:21 am »
Hi Vivian,

Actually I think regrowth is rare for both surgery and radiation.  We'll know more and more as years go on about regrowth rates years down the line with radiation, but I think both are in the single percentiles.

Recovery is all in how you look at it.  With surgery, in the majority of cases, most of your recovery is crammed into the first couple of months, and in fact other than balance, in the first 2 to 4 weeks.  Facial issues can be ongoing if that nerve becomes damaged.  With radiation, there can be swelling on and off for up to 2 years (the number I've heard most often here), but can usually be treated with steroids.  Not everyone that gets radiation has 2 years of symptoms, it's just one of the possibilities.  I would consider surgery to be the short term recovery and the radiation the longer term.  It is true, however, that you can go back to your "normal" life much more quickly with radiation, so in that sense I suppose it seems quicker.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 03:30:48 am »
I think the most difficult part of this whole ordeal is the "looking for answers" part. I just had my 5 year treatment anniversary. proton beam at Mass General Hospital. I'm still not sure I made the right decision. I'm a voracious reader...poured over all the research data available at the time, talked to many docs. Finally decided to go the way I did.

My hearing in the AN ear was 65% gone prior to treatment...completely gone now. I had mild tinnitus prior...loud post...but i've learned to ignore it for the most part. No headaches or pains before...6 months post treatment I started getting mind numbing headaches and shooting pains behind my ear. The headaches are mostly controlled with topomax now...mostly...I still often get a dull ache that I can just ignore but the shooting pains continue. They are infrequent usually but will sometimes cluster. My biggest problem was dizziness and vertigo. I had real problems there, afraid to drive often, bouncing off things, falls. Hard times sleeping...closing my eyes would bring on vertigo especially when lying down. I have that pretty well under control with heavy exercise therapy. No other issues. Despite all this I lead a pretty normal life. Just have to work around the rough spots.

My biggest concern at the moment is that i'm waiting to see if the growth that was seen in my last MRI has continued. I was at 6mm in one axis at treatment. Last September it was at 11mm. If its growing again I'll have to go through the whole decision making process once again.

I wish there was a definitive answer that could be given to you but there isn't. The brain is such a complex instrument and each of us responds differently to different treatments. The best you can do is do your homework and roll the dice. At least you have this forum to bounce questions off of...five years ago I didn't have that. Info was much more difficult to find. Unfortunately no perfect treatments have been developed in that time.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Sheryl

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 07:03:42 pm »
Stoneaxe - Cape Cod here (although now Florida in the winter).  Hubby had meningioma (another type of benign brain tumor) excised in May of 2004.  When regrowth was found in 2006, he researched and researched and waited and waited until finally deciding on Cyberknife at the Beth Israel Deaconess in Boston.  This was done October, 2007.  Now he is again dreadfully watching what may be tumor regrowth - all opinions seem to be different.  Three docs say probably; two docs say stable, no problem (one a well known neurosurgeon in Boston and, as we know, they like to "cut").  In fact it seems one dimension of tumor has gotten a tad smaller and the other a tad larger - it's all in the interpretation.  I should add, though, that meningiomas are more difficult to treat (according to doctor on Cyberknife board) than AN's.  Plus, there was varying opinion on the pathology after surgery as to grade 1 vs. grade 2 - both of which are still benign but grade 2 meningiomas can be more aggressive. 

Meanwhile I wait and watch for 7-1/2 years on a 9th cranial nerve schwannoma (much like an AN) - after almost 42 years of marriage, we still like to do things together!!!

When do you have your next MRI?  Hopefully the slight growth will stop - keep us posted.
Sheryl ("The Snowbird")
p.s.  Went to a few Red Sox spring training games as they are only 15 minutes from us - lots of fun.

9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 06:04:28 am »
Sheryl, you all better be en route back to MA from FL, you snowbirds! When are you coming home?   BTW, have tix for 2 games at Fenway! Can't wait! xoxooxoxoxox

Hi Betty-Jane and welcome.

I had CK 3 yrs ago (next week!).  Like Steve, I share many of the same pre and post-treatment symptoms, sometimes depending on my stress levels, seem to be more active at times than other times. 

As an AN'er, I've learned that regrowths are potentially all part of the AN journey.  If the hearing nerve is taken during microsurgery, then, since the nerve is gone, well, doubtful :)  As for new growths, that is part of the AN journey we are on.  I know lifetime head MRI's are in my future as we'll have to monitor things to make sure my current AN doesn't grow back on me and well as looking out for new AN's.  It's become my reality and I know to stay on top of things and not let things go by the wayside. 

Your gut will know how to direct you as you continue to research. Keep asking questions... obtain answers... your gut will help guide you to what will work best for you and your particular situation.

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 08:29:57 pm »
Hi Betty-Jane,

My AN was found by accident in 2005, and I was in W&W mode until my MRI showed growth in May 2008.  I never really had any major problems.  Some slight hearing loss in one of the high frequencies.  Making a decision about what to do was horrible because I was told I could continue to W&W by some docs.  I decided to go with GK (Oct. 21, 2008), and so far I have been lucky.  I had a MRI at three months, and my AN is starting to shrink.  My hearing did not change (same as before GK), and my balance test was within normal limits.  I do think I have a bit of word discrimination problems....though only minor.  It is a waiting game now.  But, overall I feel like I'm gonna come out of this just fine.  Best wishes as you make your decision.  I was such a nut case when I was researching, doctor hopping and decision making.  Sometimes I think you just have to step back for a minute and take a big breath.....I could have used my own advice that I just gave here!!!  You will read here about finding your "gut" feeling.  It's true.  It will come, but it ain't easy getting to it sometimes.  Hang in there!

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs