Author Topic: Loose BAHA abutment  (Read 5967 times)

MGengo

Loose BAHA abutment
« on: August 31, 2011, 07:43:37 am »
Has anyone had a loose BAHA abutment?  If so, what did your surgeon have to do to fix it?

Mary Ann

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Loose BAHA abutment
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:32:35 am »
What do you mean by "loose?" Does the abutment wobble in your skull? How long has it been implanted? Did you bump into something? Any pain or swelling?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 10:17:05 am »
This sounds very, very unusual.  Did it never osseointegrate?  Is this a recent development?  Plus, ditto to James' questions.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

MGengo

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:52 am »
I've had nothing but problems with my BAHA.  It's a long story, but I recently had to have a longer post put in because of frequent swelling over the abutment.  When the dr. screwed in the longer abutment he asked me to wait 3 weeks before using the processor.  Yesterday was 3 weeks and when I put on the processor all I got was feedback.  When I went to take off the processor I noticed it moved around alot.  Then I noticed that the abutment itself is loose.  I called the dr. but he hasn't returned my call yet.  I'm hoping the solution doesn't involve another procedure.  I think I'm ready to give up, have the BAHA removed, and just deal with the SSD.

Paul F

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:42:10 am »
The abutment is held to the implant by a tiny screw inside the abutment.  That screw is torqued to a specified amount.  It can come loose.  Hopefully thats what your facing and not a loose implant.

Good luck.