Author Topic: Jan's BAHA pictures  (Read 35621 times)

dpetty

Re: Jan's BAHA pictures
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2008, 01:28:42 pm »
I've had to stop wearing my BAHA for the time being as it's just to humid and don't want to risk damaging it. Down here in th deep South it takes about 1 min to be drinched in sweat.....

David

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2008, 01:43:51 pm »
Hey, David.  Good to "see" you  :)

I was just thinking about you and your BAHA the other day.  It's been a while since you posted.

I've been wearing my processor regularly since I got it, but I've been inside in air-conditioning a lot due to the heat.  When I cut the lawn the other day, I removed it because I was concerned with the humidity - even though I got a little jar of microbeads to deal with that issue should it arise.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dpetty

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2008, 02:06:50 pm »
I'm always outside and sweat constaint thing and I don't want to even risk shorting it out as it flows off me in rivers. Have u noticed if you snap in and out the BAHA a number of times u get some drainage the next day? No biggie I just clean it with alcohol and it goes away in a day or so.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2008, 02:22:48 pm »
Hi,

Jan, I really am watching you and your BAHA progress! You are probably forging the trail for me. So you are still happy with your BAHA? Any downsides you haven't adjusted to? Are you able to snap on the processor easily? Did it take a while to do it? Sorry, I'm full of questions. I see the surgeon a week from today.

David, I hadn't thought of the humidity issue, but there are even humid days here occasionally. So the cap helps? Do you miss wearing the BAHA? Are you glad you got one?

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2008, 02:33:03 pm »
hey Jan!!!!! You got some piece o' plastic growing outta ya head! ;)

Hon, I am SO thrilled for you!  Another wonderful step and the pics look great! Blends in with the hair color perfectly!  Congrats on getting the processor and now... a done deal! :)

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2008, 07:34:22 pm »
David -

have had no drainage - or other problems - whatsoever so far  :)

Phyl -

thanks, Hon  ;)  Sorry to drag you away from your hiatus.

Mary -

so far I'm loving the BAHA.  While snapping it on the first day was a little awkward, I became a pro at it very quickly. 

I'm still playing with the volume and the directional microphone a little bit, but other than that it's been very easy to adjust to.   I have really had no issues - knock on wood  :D

I'm glad you are going to try the demo.  Let us know what you think.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

dpetty

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2008, 11:00:01 am »
Mary,

Well I miss it for a bit and I guess my brain readjusts but i have noticed the loss of hearing. Well I wear the adbutment cap when I don't have  the BAHA on, mostly habit.

Well electronics doesn't play well with water and so I am very careful about were I wear it, like I said here in the South alot of the time humidity runs pretty high, even nearing 95% even if it isn't raining so all they moisture can build up in the unit. I have some spray that seals a circurt board but it would void the warranty so the only other option is to not wear it outside.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2008, 11:22:15 am »
Thank you both for your feedback.....so interesting!

Mary  8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2008, 11:31:37 pm »
Sorry I didn't say this before, but thank you from the bottom of my heart, to take the time to explain all there is to know about the BAHA.  That helped me so much, you will never know.
You are amazing, and thanks again.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2008, 12:07:58 am »
You're welcome, Lacey  :)

I think that educating others and sharing experiences is as big a part of this forum as supporting each other is.  It's a great "give and take"; and I have taken so much that I am happy to give back.

You in turn will do the same.

Jan

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2008, 06:44:45 am »
I've had to stop wearing my BAHA for the time being as it's just to humid and don't want to risk damaging it. Down here in th deep South it takes about 1 min to be drinched in sweat.....

David

I do the same .. I put it on once I get to work ...(AC office) .... and remove it going home...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

wendysig

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2008, 10:43:20 am »
Jan -
I too wanted to thank you for all the information you have imparted to those of us who are relatively new to this forum.  I have followed your progress with your BAHA with a lot of interest as I decided pretty quickly I was definitely very interested in it.  I just can't see myself being SSD for the rest of my life.  I know some people don't mind it too much and I say more power to them as they are trulyl very adaptable.  Having lost the major part of my hearing recently - 86%. of my speech discrimination since March, it is driving me crazy.  I can't hear anything but very slight sound on the right side now and find it very disconcerting.  I don't want to wear somethjing in my ear for the rest of my life either, so BAHA is my choce for the future.  Hopefullyl, if things go according to plan, I will have it by next April but that is a long time off.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  Once again you have made making a choice much easier.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2008, 06:13:09 am »
I do the same .. I put it on once I get to work ...(AC office) .... and remove it going home...

I've been doing this also.  The heat and humidity here have just been horrendous  ::)

Wendy -

you are welcome  ;D

Jan

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2008, 04:05:46 pm »
I won't be wearing by Baha Intenso until July 3rd. Are the Baha's THAT sensitive to moisture? If they are, I might be in trouble because I sweat at the drop of a hat. Just to give you an idea of what I mean, check out this picture of me and my son. I am the one standing there dripping wet and older of course. http://www.flickr.com/photos/20146062@N02/1975710238/in/set-72157603100850003/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 04:09:05 pm by sabuck »
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2008, 08:42:12 pm »
sabuck -

would love to see the picture of you and your son, but couldn't access it.  It said something about a "Yahoo password" ?

Anyway, I'm not sure how sensitive the processor is when it comes to moisture.  I've only had mine about 10 days and haven't worn it on occasions where I knew I'd sweat a lot - like cutting the grass, riding my bike in the heat, etc.

BTW, glad to see you posted a profile picture  :)

Jan